Made to feel old at work

Agriv8

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey I still have all of the Goon Shows on cassette recorded from the wireless!

If you truly have all of them, you might wish to contact this lot, apparently a lot of the early shows were lost as the BBC wiped the tapes to save money.  But as you're talking about cassettes, I assume you recorded them when the extant ones were repeated in the late 80s/early90s?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This is turning in to a great thread. I used to record the chart show on Sunday evenings on to a reel to reel recorder with 8" reels!:w00t:

It is good that across this fine forum there are lots of different ages, actual and mental!:rolleyes:

I love those moments! The days of BBC B, ZX81, and Commodore 64 and the birth of Amstrad!!!!!!:lol:

I did too...onto a cassette.  I had one particular tape for years, maybe decades after I recorded it.  It was from 1975.  Number 3 was Seasons in the sun. Number 2 was Glass of champagne.  Can you get what was number 1? 

I remember Christmas 1982, when   I was on an electrical course.  One of the lads got a ZX Spectrum, which we all thought was amazing!  

43 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

I did too...onto a cassette.  I had one particular tape for years, maybe decades after I recorded it.  It was from 1975.  Number 3 was Seasons in the sun. Number 2 was Glass of champagne.  Can you get what was number 1? 

I remember Christmas 1982, when   I was on an electrical course.  One of the lads got a ZX Spectrum, which we all thought was amazing!  

Billy don't be a hero, Paper lace?

Thanks fellas it’s not just me then. Though must have made an impression as I am now called  to the old grey haired it guy at head office  ‘but he knows his stuff’.

glad the post is putting a smile on a few faces in these uncertain times.

so these computers had a zx81 and learnt to program pet, Ibm, bbc micro ( colour ) and then to college where we learnt dos and lotus 123. And then these Amstrad  PC’s !! With a hard disk !!!!

These days try and  hide away in the data centres keeping  core servers and hardware ticking along. After over 30 years in computers Recon I Am still learning but enjoying the fact I am closer to a new chapter in my life.Must admit enjoying a bit more dealing with end users but prefer being surrounded by servers the users could be full of germs 🦠.

Anyway keep the stories coming as us oldies need to stick together.

agriv8 Aka grumpy grey haired old in’

4 hours ago, fse10 said:

When i'm puffing like  Ivor the engine after i've taken an 80kg washing machine up four flights of stairs. 

Steady on! I can't imagine that there are too many adults of any age who could even get an 80kg load up 4 flights of stairs  -  never mind blowing a bit, and never might the load being the shape and size of of a washing machine....

The really sad thing is I think the reel to reel is still in the loft.... on the probably misguided grounds many years ago, that it might be worth something.

I first remember it in the 60’s when it belonged to my uncle. 

Hey ho....another of my bright ideas that probably won’t get anywhere. It’s next to all the full bottles of the Queens Silver Jubilee ales... another bright idea although there are some rare ones up there..... fond memories of getting bladdered at the time, not so much the next morning 😱

18 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Steady on! I can't imagine that there are too many adults of any age who could even get an 80kg load up 4 flights of stairs  -  never mind blowing a bit, and never might the load being the shape and size of of a washing machine....

I work for Whirlpool/Hotpoint so an everyday occurrence  😒.

Wow what a coincidence ,about 4 weeks ago i was assigned a new apprentice to work with ,nothing new in that i've had plenty over the years .

The coincidence is with the theme of this thread .............................his dad was also my apprentice 20  odd years ago ,instant aging syndrome .🤕