Caught on camera

Wiggum

7 hours ago, hodge911 said:

its a mayfly but looks strange to frame recording rate of the camera 

How fast do mayflies fly, wouldn’t it have to be extremely fast to cause blurring (I’m no expert when it comes to photography/filming and frame rates etc 🤷🏻‍♂️) maybe someone with more knowledge in the subject could clarify? 
I’ve included some technical info on the camera

4CD8E93B-2453-4C19-9981-5041650E9120.jpeg

Update

I sent the footage to an entomologist to see if he had any idea of what it may be and this is his reply

Hi

It is a flying insect but the image is an artefact due to the speed of flight and the frame rate (shutter speed) of the camera.  The insect has time to move across the lens during a single frame so the insect body is blurred/distorted to a solid rod-like' object and the wing beats are also recorded more than once, in your case five times (up strokes and down strokes of the wings).  If you know your frame rate you can work out the wing beat frequency of the insect.  The movie looks like it was taken at night and I suspect that the insect is a moth.

This is my interpretation as an entomologist who has videoed insects in flight.  There is quite a discussion about this phenomenon on the web.  They call them 'air-rods' or 'skyfish'.

Impossible to say what species as we do not know the size of the insect, a small insect close up would look big. At 30fps that would make a wing beat frequency of 120-150 Hz which is high for a moth perhaps a different type of insect.

Best wishes

Jim Hardie