Walking sticks

Brambles

12 hours ago, boo said:

A burl elm top and blackthorn shank , I'm going to danish oil them tomorrow, some crazy grain in the elm ....

20200506_194642.jpg

20200506_194653.jpg

Wow, burl elm on blackthorn, that's got to be the holy grail of stickmaking. That's going to look fabulous. The Danish oil will really enhance that grain which already looks great.

Eagerly await your next post.

OB

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started to coat the elm burl with danish oil , will continue over next couple of days,  meanwhile had an idea of lamenting! So outsiders walnut , middle wanted purple heart , but couldn't find it so , to test it's got a thin ply center , glued & clamped overnight,  settled it up on a stripped chestnut shank , finish sanding tomorrow,  looks a bit different....

20200507_203946.jpg

Latest project , had ago at another laminate one , used purple heart for the center , walnut outsides on a stripped chestnut shank , leaving it outside for awhile,  apparently the u.v light makes it go more purple....

20200517_114312.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Meant to be decorating, carnt get motivated,  so decided to have a stick tidy up , was stuck behind tv , now racked in the hall , so been gluing up some more wood , prepared some other blanks today , so next , going to try a trout , another phesant head & a laminate one . Bent some buffalo so ok there , just got to start on some rams horn in a couple of weeks.....

20200608_150006.jpg

Glued up the wood yesterday,  centre is a cheap hardwood scrap , the outers not sure , it's like oak , very heavy & dense, but also very pale/white , couple of hours this afternoon, ok , couple of flaws , but hopefully not to bad ....

Screenshot_20200609-182343_WhatsApp.jpg

This I think silver, probably plated , not sure top , been kicking around for years , think someone gave it to the old man , was pretty grimey & covered in glue , half an hour later , cleaned up ok , shank was a problem for a silver top , should more likey be ebony , but make do , gone a barley twist , easy job , nowt technical, but looks and feels tidy in the hand...

20200613_173123.jpg

20200613_192400.jpg

On 13 June 2020 at 17:18, boo said:

Dicking around this afternoon,  with a bit rough twister , trying the pyro out , think need a few lessons ! Got to  decide on a handle top , looks a bit aboriginal at the minute....

20200613_165529.jpg

That looks brilliant.

How about carving a snakes head for the top ?

OB

Think I'm going to give the twister to the underkeepers lad , it has now an antler top, yesterday experimented with a different shape top, was in a mahogany type wood, next time make it a little more rounded on the top, onto rams horn next  !

20200618_110011.jpg

WOW!!

Some beautiful sticks!!

I bought some stuff to have a go years ago,  Never got around to it (Not even sure if I could make them as they look difficult to get right!!)

I bought a load of Antler, Ramshorn and buffalo horn!!, Around five years ago I reduced my Hazel hedge down to around six feet from about thirteen and saved some nice straight-ish lengths, Tuesday this week I lopped some fairly straight holly down too!

UqWHDD3.jpg

XBdeSSY.jpg

Wish i'd have read this thread at the beginning of furlough!!

John 👍

I,saw some finished sticks on eBay yesterday .........every one of those antlers would be a stick!   Seriously you need to have a look at them, they are absolutely dire. Personally I would be embarrassed to post pics of them. Best description is a 'dog chew on a stick'