Walking sticks

Brambles

Thanks for that info Boo. Your sticks look amazing and an inspiration for me to improve and try different types of sticks. So far I’ve only done the joints with beaded brass or oval shaped buffalo horn which is a bit of an easy cop out, The one on the go at present is on blackthorn with a thin white spacer and red antler top.

OB

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inbetween jobs this morning,  straightened a hazel thumbstick,  fitted the ferrule , be a decent beating stick , a handy tip is old mountain bike inner tubes, act as a big elastic band/brace , so when gluing up , pulls everything up tight , until glue sets ! Ideal for tops , doesn't mark them.....

20200405_133902.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you thinks reasonable for a crook , the raw materials for a black buffalo crook if it goes to plan be about £30 , plus labour costs , probably  4/5 days work on top ! Rams horn , a lot more work & time , depending if you get a half decent horn to start with! If you look at the likes of kieth Pickering stickmakers give you an idea of custom sticks ! Could do one in black buffalo any specific shank ? Pics give you some idea...

20200416_183042.jpg

20200416_183050.jpg

2 hours ago, boo said:

Depends on what you thinks reasonable for a crook , the raw materials for a black buffalo crook if it goes to plan be about £30 , plus labour costs , probably  4/5 days work on top ! Rams horn , a lot more work & time , depending if you get a half decent horn to start with! If you look at the likes of kieth Pickering stickmakers give you an idea of custom sticks ! Could do one in black buffalo any specific shank ? Pics give you some idea...

20200416_183042.jpg

20200416_183050.jpg

I had previously posted that Thestickman (Keith Pickering) had closed temporarily due to Covid 19 and was not taking orders, but I now note that his shop is shut to the public but he is now taking online orders.

OB

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Finished another hazel twist today, last for a while as this years selection still drying out.

image.jpeg

That looks really good. I`m always on the lookout for a twister, but not found one yet. I was wondering how long it would take to actually `falsify` one by winding some wire or the like around a bit of growing hazel. Whether that would be possible. My favourite little wood has plenty of hazel shoots where this could be done. Anyone done this ?

I too have now run out of seasoned hazel and await this last winter`s lot to season. Never seem to cut enough at the time.

OB 

41 minutes ago, boo said:

Finished, looks ok , done a couple of antler inlays , used a different resin , waiting to polish up , deffo not as clear as the previous resin , wait & see...

20200501_150642.jpg

That looks great. It gives the appearance of a snake around the shaft, or was that the idea ? Brilliant.

Do you use `Gedeo` for your resin inlays ?

OB

Resin wise , original stuff,  added the hardener to resin with a syringe , mixed & set really , clear , last stuff is a 50/50 mix , weighed it out , deffo not as clear , give it a couple more days , both off ebay & Amazon, funny were you find twisters , found , hazel , ash ,holly & blackthorn and a couple of mountain ash , try and always be 12 months or more ahead in cutting and seasoning shanks .....