Catching The Impossible

chrisjpainter

I don't know how I missed this when it first came out, as I don't think it's new, but for anyone who's into their angling and has Amozon Prime, this is available. It's Bernard Cribbins and Martin Bowler (with occasional appearances of John Wilson, Bob Church and a few others) on angling. What sets this apart is the high quality underwater filming and plenty of detail on ecosystems and a bit of biology. It's not JUST misty lakes and daydreaming!

It's also about specimen hunting - but across all species, so a massive roach is just as highly prized as a double figure barbel.

They go on about catching impossible monsters just bit too much, but aside from that it's a proper little angling gem. Worth paying for even if you don't have Prime

Definitely not new, a great series of films with some amazing fish caught. It took them years to film it. Great chemistry between Bernard and Martin, they obviously enjoyed each others company.

If you haven't seen it, you should. Also, A Passion for Angling with Chris Yates is another nice angling series.

19 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I don't know how I missed this when it first came out, as I don't think it's new, but for anyone who's into their angling and has Amozon Prime, this is available. It's Bernard Cribbins and Martin Bowler (with occasional appearances of John Wilson, Bob Church and a few others) on angling. What sets this apart is the high quality underwater filming and plenty of detail on ecosystems and a bit of biology. It's not JUST misty lakes and daydreaming!

It's also about specimen hunting - but across all species, so a massive roach is just as highly prized as a double figure barbel.

They go on about catching impossible monsters just bit too much, but aside from that it's a proper little angling gem. Worth paying for even if you don't have Prime

What is it called as I have Prime?

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Close! 3lb roach from a river. The 4lb+ perch took some getting too.

I have been fortunate enough to catch a 3ib roach. Amazing memorable fish of a life time! It came from a big pit and looked like an old warrior and probably got in there when the river Waveney flooded. . . Got really excited when i caught what i first thought was a monster 4ib 4oz roach from the river Bure once. I was shaking! Another fantastic fish, but we decided it was a big roach/bream hybrid.  More exciting and memorable because it was in a match on a 6m whip in a strong tide at St Bennetts Abbey. Have never really appreciated some of the big fish i have cought because i was well in to match fishing for a long time. . . . .  Would love to catch a 4ib + perch. I Know where a few are and i have seen a few. So who Knows!😉          NB

Thanks for the tipoff.

I've just taken a 30-day free trial to watch it.

Stunning photography😊

I've only watched 2 episodes so far and I'm glad to see it's not sanitised like many programmes. It was nice to see the two little girls catching their first Trout and wanting to eat their fish, including the dispatch of the fish. I'm sure they will grow up with a great appreciation of the environment and balance of nature.

Looking forward to the rest.

14 hours ago, KFC said:

Thanks for the tipoff.

I've just taken a 30-day free trial to watch it.

Stunning photography😊

I've only watched 2 episodes so far and I'm glad to see it's not sanitised like many programmes. It was nice to see the two little girls catching their first Trout and wanting to eat their fish, including the dispatch of the fish. I'm sure they will grow up with a great appreciation of the environment and balance of nature.

Looking forward to the rest.

Yup. The underwater stuff really doesn't feel ten+ years old, does it? It saddens me that the UK's rivers never get the full BBC Natural World treatment. In comparison, the film crew for Catching the Impossible was so small, but they produced stuff that's leagues ahead of what anyone else has done for British waterways. In the last episode (I think) they have some amazing shots of perch hunting crayfish. great stuff

40 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Really enjoying it, thanks for the heads up. 

It's just saddened me to see john Wilson. He died about 18 months ago after moving abroad to live 

Yeah sad indeed. One of the great all round angling enthusiasts. I've got so much more time for the likes of Wilson and Martin Bowler. It's not all about one or two species, it's the whole range of fish. I don't really feel like there's anyone of the younger generations pushing through that have the same wide reaching passion 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah sad indeed. One of the great all round angling enthusiasts. I've got so much more time for the likes of Wilson and Martin Bowler. It's not all about one or two species, it's the whole range of fish. I don't really feel like there's anyone of the younger generations pushing through that have the same wide reaching passion 

I know two young lads that are really mad keen on pike and perch fishing. Last season they had several pike over 25lb and some monster perch. 

They go everywhere on their bikes.