Blackpowder

While we are at the moment under the threat and thrall of the corona virus another deadly killer lurks out their which receives little publicity.  I write this  because a  very good shooting and fishing friend has fallen victim of SEPSIS,  already he has lost an arm and may  also loose a foot and at the moment fights for his life. Apparently  worldwide there are 49million cases of SEPSIS every year, 11 million of these are fatal.  As out door people we  are perhaps more at risk than any other groups from this vile condition.  Make sure you are aware of the symptoms and treat even minor wounds with extreme care.

Blackpowder

When I had to be admitted to hospital in December the initial diagnosis was sepsis. This was mentioned at the reception desk and I went straight to the head of a four hour waiting list, so serious did they take the doctors report.

Thankfully my illness wasn't sepsis but a urinary tract infection which wasn't very nice but neither was it life threatening. 

On 01/04/2020 at 17:00, Benthejockey said:

My baby was born and spent over a week in hospital with suspected sepsis. A week of iv antibiotics sorted her out but it was a scary time.

Snap, at three weeks old- all the anti virals under the sun and he pulled through to be the ‘pest’ that he is now, aged 5 going on 13

10 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Sorry for your loss blackpowder. Out of interest what was the cause of the sepsis- internal or a wound of some kind? Pertinent to all of us a countrymen I've heard it said that blackthorn spikes are a common source of sepsis...

He had been at the riverside as since retirement was looking after a river beat, when family told me first the medics could not point at why.

Blackpowder

13 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Pertinent to all of us a countrymen I've heard it said that blackthorn spikes are a common source of sepsis...

My neighbour and I were taking about this last week as the dog got one in its paw, it came out but he had a bad infection and within 12 hrs of the spike had lost the ability to stand and control of his bladder etc. I have a deep blackthorn that requires a minor operation to remove, but it’s clean. Obviously it’s not urgent and so can wait until another year. He said actually went to hospital with a bad one and was turned away from A&E “it’s a splinter, it will work it’s own way out”... 12 hours later he was admitted by ambulance and needed a skin graft as so much flesh was removed. My wife was admitted with sepsis when our third child was a few days old. The GP offered an ambulance I said, it’s fine I’ll drive, save the resources. She was bounced from department to department and ended up in for weeks on IV antibiotics. She missed Christmas with the two boys older and was thoroughly unhappy. I wrote a letter to the trust underlining their multiple failings compared to NICE guidelines, not to make a complaint but to help them improve quality of care for others. Sepsis is very dangerous. 

5 hours ago, The Heron said:

My auntie went into hospital for a routine operation but sadly died the cause of death was recorded as sepsis due to complications in the removal of the appendix which as her brother pointed out (my farther) was interesting as she had them removed 35 years earlier. 

Appendix, surely tonsils? Can’t think of many other anatomical part that comes in pairs and a woman would have taken out?