Good day on beans

dad

i had a desperate call from a farmer monday lunch time 100s of pigeons on his beans that are just erupting is there any way i could get there i told him its not looking likely at the moment but i saw monday night basc latest post on crop protection and thought there was enough wiggle room to go tuesday. Before i got anywhere near the field i could see hundreds of birds in the air over it, its a big field about 100 acres when i pulled up i got the bins out and saw hundreds down feeding so quickly deciding where to set up with favourable wind i decided to drive down the wheelings and put 4 string bangers out and and 2 moon walkers then hid the car as best i could and got stuck in they started commiting straight away coming in 2s and 3s it was difficult shooting as they were coming past me out of range going over the deeks into the wind then deciding to come in turning and coming with the wind pitching over the rotary spooking at the last second and going out again fast i did connect with quite a few but i just couldnt connect with the second bird that tended to want to escape over the high bushes at my back and before i got on them after the 1st shot they were right in my face at 10yds i would wave the gun at them to try and make them change direction if they did i still missed them going away zig zagging i ended picking up 65 and only found 1 out of about 10 i know i hit. I am not one for exaggerated statements but i saw over 5000 birds a freind that joined later who shot 45 on flightline after they passed me who shoots far more than me said its the most he has ever seen and reckoned up to 10000 !! I have seen this many before on this piece of land they come from 4 directions when they all choose to come to the same place together its like that this 300 acre farm had all been drilled with beans and barley.

A few genuine questions if i may Dad.

Did you get a letter of authority from the Farmer and have it on you.

Did you phone the Police instructing them of your intentions and request a incident/record number.

Did the Police give you a number

Thanks in advance

36 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

A few genuine questions if i may Dad.

Did you get a letter of authority from the Farmer and have it on you.

Did you phone the Police instructing them of your intentions and request a incident/record number.

Did the Police give you a number

Thanks in advance

Valid point , after two incidents with the police in recent posts , one shooting on the foot path and the other one today with clangerman you need to get it right .

Just read Walkers post with the email he got from the Leicestershire police , well worth reading .

23 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

What did you end up doing with the 110 pigeons that were shot ?

OB

My 65 12 for deeks 30 for freinds 23 freezer the other chap was the keeper he took his with him. He had phoned police and got the ok.

8 hours ago, dad said:

My 65 12 for deeks 30 for freinds 23 freezer the other chap was the keeper he took his with him. He had phoned police and got the ok.

Dad, good to see that none were wasted.

Good report by the way.

OB

Good pest control, well done for getting out. Agriculture is an essential service, simple as that really. You could have taken a few precautions as per BASC recommendations which would have made life easier if a problem had of occurred, but none did so it’s all fine. 

12 hours ago, dad said:

i had a desperate call from a farmer monday lunch time 100s of pigeons on his beans that are just erupting is there any way i could get there i told him its not looking likely at the moment but i saw monday night basc latest post on crop protection and thought there was enough wiggle room to go tuesday. Before i got anywhere near the field i could see hundreds of birds in the air over it, its a big field about 100 acres when i pulled up i got the bins out and saw hundreds down feeding so quickly deciding where to set up with favourable wind i decided to drive down the wheelings and put 4 string bangers out and and 2 moon walkers then hid the car as best i could and got stuck in they started commiting straight away coming in 2s and 3s it was difficult shooting as they were coming past me out of range going over the deeks into the wind then deciding to come in turning and coming with the wind pitching over the rotary spooking at the last second and going out again fast i did connect with quite a few but i just couldnt connect with the second bird that tended to want to escape over the high bushes at my back and before i got on them after the 1st shot they were right in my face at 10yds i would wave the gun at them to try and make them change direction if they did i still missed them going away zig zagging i ended picking up 65 and only found 1 out of about 10 i know i hit. I am not one for exaggerated statements but i saw over 5000 birds a freind that joined later who shot 45 on flightline after they passed me who shoots far more than me said its the most he has ever seen and reckoned up to 10000 !! I have seen this many before on this piece of land they come from 4 directions when they all choose to come to the same place together its like that this 300 acre farm had all been drilled with beans and barley.

Well done that man for having the courage to answer a call for help, instead of folding up like a wet paper bag, as many are. The more we roll over and play dead on the instructions of the Urban Majority, the sooner all will be lost. Like BASC etc calling for a ban on lead, based on little or no hard evidence that lead, away from wetlands, does any harm. 

There is ZERO risk to self or others from driving to your own hide. The story that you may get hurt and overwhelm the NHS is totally fatuous when we are allowed to cycle all over the place, no risk there.... 

Still, we get Green Credentials and Greta the Great is happy.

Rant over!!

2 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Well done that man for having the courage to answer a call for help, instead of folding up like a wet paper bag, as many are. The more we roll over and play dead on the instructions of the Urban Majority, the sooner all will be lost. Like BASC etc calling for a ban on lead, based on little or no hard evidence that lead, away from wetlands, does any harm. 

There is ZERO risk to self or others from driving to your own hide. The story that you may get hurt and overwhelm the NHS is totally fatuous when we are allowed to cycle all over the place, no risk there.... 

Still, we get Green Credentials and Greta the Great is happy.

Rant over!!

Well said that man. Only response worth reading.

When i go for a walk every day if i dont shoot i walk past many people go through gates over stiles past cyclist joggers horse riders etc.etc. i would sooner get in my car drive 2 miles to my nearest perm and walk round in isolation. Tell me what is safest for my health and others. Cyclist increase 10 fold some will fall off joggers increase 10 fold some will fall some will end up in hospital.

33 minutes ago, dad said:

Well said that man. Only response worth reading.

When i go for a walk every day if i dont shoot i walk past many people go through gates over stiles past cyclist joggers horse riders etc.etc. i would sooner get in my car drive 2 miles to my nearest perm and walk round in isolation. Tell me what is safest for my health and others. Cyclist increase 10 fold some will fall off joggers increase 10 fold some will fall some will end up in hospital.

I can see where your coming from and I agree with going out in the countryside we are less of a risk than people jumping on a tube train packed beside others who are going to work , but as far as shooting is concerned we are far from normal times and have now got to follow guide lines , if we get it wrong our s g c would be at stake and by the sound of things we have got to do it off our own shoulders without having the support of B A S C to help us out .

That is why questions will be asked to the people like yourself who have just got all the different go a heads to carry on crop protection .

If you got stopped by the police , which it seem members are now are , you would need to have everything in order if not I can see before long somebody being charged with not following guidelines .

Well done for common sense! 60 acres of beans drilled at back of mine and all have seen on it is about a dozen blacks. That's  a hell of a lot of pigeons coming to one field. Was there many beans on top? Did you see many  walkers, joggers cyclists or horsey folk? This exercising trend seems to of trailed off the last two days like the panic buying.   NB 

I shoot for a large farm which is 1/2 mile from my house. We have recently drilled several hundred acres with spring barley. The farm manager asked if I could keep an eye on the fields as we have loads of corvids and pigeons around at the moment, I told him I was a bit uneasy due to all of the lock down regulations etc. As the farm and associated grain mill employs loads of essential workers he provided me with a copy of his companies essential workers letter. In the very unlikely situation I get stopped from travelling to the fields I now have the correct paper work in place to authorise my travel. As for the risks of catching covid19 sitting in a hide in the middle of a 100 acre, more chance of getting hit by  a falling meteorite. 

15 hours ago, clangerman said:

i think this is a case of having to keep calm if the police show up and explain the situation had the police got out of the car it might have been awkward but the farmer intended to shoot if i didn’t so i was pretty confident i was covered 

Why would it had been awkward if the police had got out of the car and asked you a few questions if you had followed all the police guidelines in the first place ?

I have resisted the temptation to go out on drilings, but having just been out on a call to repair someones oil boiler I did hear someone shooting on drillings and must admit I was slightly envious hearing the sound of a busy session.

Well done dad on bagging a few and respect for making sure the shot birds are used.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

just going on my own force area which i WONT go out in because they are proper jobs worth i was confident i was ok tried again this morning still no sense from my local force 

By no sense do you mean there not giving you the answer you want to hear ?

or the answer doesn’t make sense? 

these are difficult times and there busy sorting out a multitude of queries about acceptable access to the countryside everyone is very uncomfortable with the uncertainty and lack of clarity 

have you approached the Nfu and asked for there guidelines for crop protection? 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

By no sense do you mean there not giving you the answer you want to hear ?

or the answer doesn’t make sense? 

these are difficult times and there busy sorting out a multitude of queries about acceptable access to the countryside everyone is very uncomfortable with the uncertainty and lack of clarity 

have you approached the Nfu and asked for there guidelines for crop protection? 

local police claimed this morning if I go I could say they gave the go ahead and they don’t want the responsibility so it’s a case of go if I must and defend my position if asked to obviously passing the buck typical no nfu have enough on their plate this should be a plod decision 

7 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

So my genuine questions i asked ( which you failed to answer ) are not worth reading 

I said in my reply to old boggy that the keeper dealt with the police, and he did get a ref number. I often phone 101 when shooting near the village and tell them how many  guns and give licence plate numbers etc.i had verbal perm with perm to pass on any prob with conformation, to farmer.

2 minutes ago, dad said:

I said in my reply to old boggy that the keeper dealt with the police, and he did get a ref number. I often phone 101 when shooting near the village and tell them how many  guns and give licence plate numbers etc.i had verbal perm with perm to pass on any prob with conformation, to farmer.

Thanks for replying as i never saw/read your reply to Old Boggy