Info from Leicester Police via e mail.

I made an enquiry about vermin shooting on farms when requested by the farmer, with the Leicestershire Police on their Contact Us e mail site. Initially they tried to fob me off by suggesting I contact th pest Control Association. It did not answer my question, which was basically what would happen if I drove on my own up to a farm , did not mix with anyone else , shot vermin as requested and then drove home without stopping.  I then had a much more helpful e mail back telling me to call 101 and give them the details of where I would be and between what times and then it would be acceptable to carry on.   I will be printing this off to carry with me at all times.

Hope this helps at least those in Leicestershire Police Area.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I made an enquiry about vermin shooting on farms when requested by the farmer, with the Leicestershire Police on their Contact Us e mail site. Initially they tried to fob me off by suggesting I contact th pest Control Association. It did not answer my question, which was basically what would happen if I drove on my own up to a farm , did not mix with anyone else , shot vermin as requested and then drove home without stopping.  I then had a much more helpful e mail back telling me to call 101 and give them the details of where I would be and between what times and then it would be acceptable to carry on.   I will be printing this off to carry with me at all times.

Outstanding old man - I almost wrote young man but yer older than me lol. :-)

well if that is the response you got from the police i don't see why you shouldn't go, you are  going to get flack for the post,  it is perfectly logical  drive from  A to B, or you could go to the local shop or supermarket and stand more chance of catching something 

seen more  cars on the road today than at any point of the lockdown 

I probably wont as I am staying put for the moment, but hope the information helps other Leicestershire shooters if not further afield. All forces must have 'Contact Us' e mails, just don't be fobbed off, you need a definitive answer that you can print off.  By all means quote the decision by Leicestershire Police as an example.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I probably wont as I am staying put for the moment, but hope the information helps other Leicestershire shooters if not further afield. All forces must have 'Contact Us' e mails, just don't be fobbed off, you need a definitive answer that you can print off.  By all means quote the decision by Leicestershire Police as an example.

i think the post  will help shooters in your area 

Despite the content of some of my posts on other threads I'm also staying put for now while steps are taken to get solid documentation rather than just a verbal agreement that I get benefits which amount to payment in kind for my most local pest control duties nearly a mile away by foot - or about 2 miles to a vehicle entrance. 

Until Walker570's post came along I had been making inroads to concealing a short barrel HMR under a poncho and walking there. I now feel more confident about travelling the two miles in a 4WD.

I get the feeling that some shotgun only user posters on other threads don't realise that rifle users have to earn and maintain a reason for having not only firearms - but a reason for each calibre too - or lose their licence. Some of us simply cannot risk neglecting some permissions in case we lose one or more to the sale of a farm for example. 

Some of those who feel we recklessly want to get out just for sport are barking up the wrong tree.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Despite the content of some of my posts on other threads I'm also staying put for now while steps are taken to get solid documentation rather than just a verbal agreement that I get benefits which amount to payment in kind for my most local pest control duties nearly a mile away by foot - or about 2 miles to a vehicle entrance. 

Until Walker570's post came along I had been making inroads to concealing a short barrel HMR under a poncho and walking there. I now feel more confident about travelling the two miles in a 4WD.

I get the feeling that some shotgun only user posters on other threads don't realise that rifle users have to earn and maintain a reason for having not only firearms - but a reason for each calibre too - or lose their licence. Some of us simply cannot risk neglecting some permissions in case we lose one or more to the sale of a farm for example. 

Some of those who feel we recklessly want to get out just for sport are barking up the wrong tree.

its not only that i think a lot of shooters just like being out in the countryside i know i do besides the shooting, and this situation being stuck in makes it worse 

Edited by yickdaz

35 minutes ago, muncher said:

I had a call from a farmer about crop damage,I can't go as my wife and I are self isolating due to her having a cough. So I asked a friend if he could oblige, he rang 101 and got ok from them and a reference number if any old Bill turn up.

That surely has to be the way to do it.

Try Avon and Somerset.

Thank you for your email.

If you are unsure what you can or cannot do following the recent measures announced by the Prime Minister, for further guidance and advice please visit:  

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Unfortunately, we are not able to issue individual permission at this time.

Sorry we are unable to assist you any further with your query at this time, we are currently only dealing with reports and advice about crime.

Kind Regards

Avon and Somerset Constabulary

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Try Avon and Somerset.

If you are unsure what you can or cannot do following the recent measures announced by the Prime Minister, for further guidance and advice please visit:  

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Sorry we are unable to assist you any further with your query at this time, we are currently only dealing with reports and advice about crime.

Kind Regards

Try dialling 101 which I asume should put you through to your Police HQ control unit and tell them what you are going to do and see what the response is then. Explain that Leicestershire Police are happy to deal with the situation this way if there are any questions.

I will give Derbyshire a call/e mail and see what their response is as I have areas in that County which i shoot on as well.

Edited by Walker570

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Try dialling 101 which I asume should put you through to your Police HQ control unit and tell them what you are going to do and see what the response is then. Explain that Leicestershire Police are happy to deal with the situation this way if there are any questions.

I will give Derbyshire a call/e mail and see what their response is as I have areas in that County which i shoot on as well.

This was the response I received this morning from Westmids/Staffs Police.

Dear David

We haven’t been given any guidance on this question as yet but can only refer you to the Government guidelines which state you can only go outside for one of the following reasons:

Shopping for basic necessities

One form of exercise a day

Any medical need or to provide help for a vulnerable person

Travelling to and from work but only where this can absolutely cannot be done from home

Kind regards

Sue Johnson

Edited by old'un

6 hours ago, oowee said:

Try Avon and Somerset.

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Kind Regards

just done battle with them myself yet AGAIN decided to ramp it up with the commissioners office shut with the virus unreal! 

6 hours ago, muncher said:

I had a call from a farmer about crop damage,I can't go as my wife and I are self isolating due to her having a cough. So I asked a friend if he could oblige, he rang 101 and got ok from them and a reference number if any old Bill turn up.

Very sensible way  of doing things , When you ring up would you get the o k for the farm you were going on , or just the field you were enquiring about .

If it was just the field then it would rule out going to that farm to just observe what was about and the field you enquired about would only be for the one day , another day another phone call correct ?

The police said, thank you that's fine, if we get a call about shooting in that area we will not attend. This was a favour for a friend of the farmers who's land I don't shoot as he is ill and he is trying to save the rape field. Strange as the other farmer has always said no to me, he is a rather fiery man😁

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

1 hour ago, old'un said:

This was the response I received this morning from Westmids/Staffs Police.

Dear David

We haven’t been given any guidance on this question as yet but can only refer you to the Government guidelines which state you can only go outside for one of the following reasons:

Shopping for basic necessities

One form of exercise a day

Any medical need or to provide help for a vulnerable person

Travelling to and from work but only where this can absolutely cannot be done from home

Kind regards

Sue Johnson

ive had a no from staffs police this morning .  just getting a definite answer either way is a relief.

7 hours ago, oowee said:

Try Avon and Somerset.

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Kind Regards

looks like we will have to wait it out.

9 hours ago, oowee said:

Try Avon and Somerset.

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Kind Regards

At 430pm this afternoon I had a desperate request from a farmer asking if I could attempt to keep pigeons off his new drilled peas as he was concerned that he would lose most of the seed and he had doubled up on the amount drilled to try to have some crop return subject to getting pickers. In view of the published response from Avon and Somerset I decided to give them a call to see what the options were and after explaining the request from the farmer and his attempt to ensure a future crop, I was informed that it would be classed as crop protection and I could drive to the fields and shoot. I was then issued with a log number that was sent by text so I could produce it should it be necessary 

absolutely no problem with Avon and Somerset once the situation had been explained to them and they were allowed to make the decision regarding crop protection and log number issued at 455pm

Chairman