World Yeast Shortage

moondoggy

7 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I thought loo rolls were bad, but has anyone tried buying dried active or fast action yeast?

I can’t find any anywhere.

Strong white flour is almost as bad.

It seems everyone in the world has taken up bread making.

Glad it isn't just me, managed to get bread flour from a local farm shop but not much hope of yeast. There is quite a bit on Ebay but not sure any of it would arrive in a useful timeframe!

I bake bread about twice a week and have done since I retired. I usually keep two boxes in stock. Since this madness started I've still been baking, but now running out of flour. I gave a lot away thinking I could replace it but unfortunately no luck. I gave yeast away too, now I'm starting to regret it. I can't get any anywhere. I used to buy in bulk on line every couple of months.

With my next packet of yeast, I'm going to start a bottle off and keep it going. It used to work for wine and beer so hopefully for bread.

Clean a bottle of at least a pint capacity, add yeast, teaspoon of sugar and warm water, plug neck with cotton wool and store in a warm place. Use as much as you need too, and re feed with sugar.

Hopefully, this should work as an activated yeast culture and keep you going.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, where have you tried to buy yeast ? Wessex Mill in Wantage supply 100s of stockist with bread making goods, google the web site and there may be one in your area that is not closed eg farm shop etc, their online shop is closed

Tried local shops, farm shops, supermarkets etc. Been searching the internet for days.

There have been tins of Allison’s that normally retail at around £1 with 15 bids and up at £34 with £4 delivery and two days still to go.

There are some very rich, desperate people out there.

I keep getting recommended a video on how to bake with beer instead of yeast, I suppose it would depend on what one you value more 😂

Plenty of recipe's for flat breads from around the world that don't use yeast, not the same as a fresh white loaf I know but be done the quite a bit in the past with curried etc.

24 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Tried local shops, farm shops, supermarkets etc. Been searching the internet for days.

There have been tins of Allison’s that normally retail at around £1 with 15 bids and up at £34 with £4 delivery and two days still to go.

There are some very rich, desperate people out there.

hello, there has been at lot of rip offs going on, its a bloody disgrace

4 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fermipan-Dried-Yeast-Gluten-Vegan/dp/B00Y40YR38/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Yeast&qid=1586290683&sr=8-3

This looks like it might be ok. Bit pricey, but the one I normally buy in 500g lots is out of stock. Fortunately I bought some last month.

Wow, that's steep. I normally use Sainsbury's own or when I buy flour in bulk (every 3 months or so before lockdown, now unavailable) they included a jar of yeast for .50p extra.

I'll send the link to my daughter, shes gluten free and makes nice gluten free bread. At the moment shes having to use my quickly dwindling stock.

Isn't it strange, before lockdown I always bought in bulk. Flour, yeast, porridge oats, dried fruit, meat for the freezer, etc etc. If I try now, I'm some kind of social outcast.

I am the same. Used to buy a case of 12 UHT milk. Can only buy 4 now so got 2x 2litre filtered milk to make it last a bit. Normally buy bread flour from Aldi. Fortunatley I got some before it went pear shaped and also bought 4 bags of the Italian 00 flour for pasta when they had it on offer. That makes good bread too.