L2tp

SpringDon

Hmm.  I don't, but I feel your pain having moved to 4G LTE mobile broadband at the turn of the year. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you might need to install an "inside" router to create a tunnel out through your mobile router.  Google DD-WRT.

4 hours ago, Piebob said:

Hmm.  I don't, but I feel your pain having moved to 4G LTE mobile broadband at the turn of the year. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you might need to install an "inside" router to create a tunnel out through your mobile router.  Google DD-WRT.

Thanks for that, something else to read up on and add to my acronym collection. I’m trying to get a static public ip for a ps4. But in a Murphy’s law example, the only network with coverage here (Vodafone) uses cgnat so it’s impossible without tunnelling.

50 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Slight cough - it's not mobile network, Vodafone offer a home fibre broadband product - so conventional tech.

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I’ve got the mobile broadband. The chances of getting fibre are remote, although there is a fibre network a few feet away funnily enough. But the company isn’t going to finish it as a result of the gigaclear/connecting Devon and Somerset debacle (which I could go on about for pages but won’t inflict that on you)

Ahhhh - thanks.  I've encountered L2TP just once before so not masses of knowledge, check this link out - maybe a firewall is blocking traffic?

https://www.expressvpn.com/what-is-vpn/protocols/l2tp

Also I've found that one has to invest in professional grade 'pro-consumer' hardware when trying to do non-mainstream stuff with Routers - i.e. something like a Draytek.  https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison 

Edited by Cosmicblue

More stuff I didn’t want to know about! Think you’re right about the router. They seem to divide into :- don’t do tunnelling; can do tunnelling for all devices on network; can tunnel individual devices. And, wouldn’t you know it, it goes in ascending price order.

You're pretty stuffed I think, sorry to say  I came across the same issue recently for some elements of games my kids want to play on Nintendo switch.  I think the game tries to make a kind of peer-to-peer connection.  I also found that video & screen sharing didn't work properly in Skype for Business Meetings (but audio was fine) when I was working from home.  Vodafone won't give you a fixed public IP address, and they use CGNAT / large-scale NAT on their mobile network. I investigated so far but in the end found another option. I was going to buy a second router and install DD-WRT.  The nice option with that is that you can then protect everything coming out of from your WAN in a VPN if you wanted.  Hope you find a solution. In the end I did a deal with a local wireless ISP so now run with 3 x broadband links and a load balancing router. I can force certain connections (e.g. Nintendo switch, work laptop) out over the WISP link, and leave the router to manage all the other traffic with the Vodafone 4G link taking most of the load.