Another plea

dad

1 hour ago, hawkeye said:

My force says no as well had a few calls about trouble fox from one..

another wanted me to go sort out pigeons and crows on his drillings Cleveland said no way is that essential so told them might not be to you but it is when its costing the man his living still said no...

its a pretty awful situation all around , especially if youre a farmer.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to contend with two police forces on the same estate as we have got Norfolk on one side and Suffolk on the other side , if you knew in your own mind that a certain crop was having a serious problem due to Pigeons then by going through the proper channels you would , or should be cleared to go , if on the other hand you were using the drilled field that had a few Pigeons on as excuse to have a few shots, then it could be like playing russian roulette is the Police attended and you were decoying on an empty field with not a Pigeon in sight , that might take a bit of convincing to a over keen police officer . as I keep saying , if you go , you must get it right as you will be on your own with very little back up.

16 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Can you just imagine trying to justify your actions to a police officer that just happened to be one of the anti mob .

you get them in all walks of life most of what you hear is scaremongering i would have no problem proving my case if i even thought other wise i wouldn’t turn out 

I called DEFRA today, left a message and had the call returned in less than 2 hours, couldn't believe it.

I asked where I stood as while I'm not a 'professional' pest controller as in I don't have a ticket, I had been asked to carry out the same pest control I had at other times,for a local farmer to protect he's crop. She agreed with me when I said that the food harvested this year in the country is quite possibly the most important since the end of rationing.

Anyway, she told me she had just had a similar conversation with another gentleman, her advice was to print out a copy of the general license, and a copy of what's on the bpca website and carry it with me and if I was to have an issue to produce both and inform them i am carrying out pest control inline with the general licence and the most recent govt guidelines as crop/food protection is essential. 

I'd like to think with fools licking their hands and wiping it about the place and others coughing and spitting on others those of us trying to do a bit to help will be able to get on with it. 

9 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I called DEFRA today, left a message and had the call returned in less than 2 hours, couldn't believe it.

I asked where I stood as while I'm not a 'professional' pest controller as in I don't have a ticket, I had been asked to carry out the same pest control I had at other times,for a local farmer to protect he's crop. She agreed with me when I said that the food harvested this year in the country is quite possibly the most important since the end of rationing.

Anyway, she told me she had just had a similar conversation with another gentleman, her advice was to print out a copy of the general license, and a copy of what's on the bpca website and carry it with me and if I was to have an issue to produce both and inform them i am carrying out pest control inline with the general licence and the most recent govt guidelines as crop/food protection is essential. 

I'd like to think with fools licking their hands and wiping it about the place and others coughing and spitting on others those of us trying to do a bit to help will be able to get on with it. 

At last, a voice of reason! Well done that man!!

15 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Well done FB! As i have said other week our Suffolk force/rural police unit OK with us doing it to! I and others have been out and had no problems apart from a couple of other shooters being funny/gobby about it. Even got to go back on one of my old perms i lost to a syndicate and a slab of carts for going. All public/folk in the community i have spoke to fine with it and say get as many as you can. I think folk are maybe now realising more where there food comes from and the effort farmers/farm shops put in to produce quality British food! I think folk/farmers really appreciate those that can doing what they can at this time. Had loads of pigeons and a lot of blacks. All pigeon going into food chain. Some folk trying pigeon for the first time. We have certainly made a  difference!    NB

6 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Well done FB! As i have said other week our Suffolk force/rural police unit OK with us doing it to! I and others have been out and had no problems apart from a couple of other shooters being funny/gobby about it. Even got to go back on one of my old perms i lost to a syndicate and a slab of carts for going. All public/folk in the community i have spoke to fine with it and say get as many as you can. I think folk are maybe now realising more where there food comes from and the effort farmers/farm shops put in to produce quality British food! I think folk/farmers really appreciate those that can doing what they can at this time. Had loads of pigeons and a lot of blacks. All pigeon going into food chain. Some folk trying pigeon for the first time. We have certainly made a  difference!    NB

Well done that man 👍

Your right, I think when all this is over hopefully many will look at our farmers in a different light and appreciate how hard they actually work. It's sad to live in a day and age where as far as most are concerned 'food comes from the supermarket' and that's it. 

Both mine are drilled now but have been quiet over the last couple days, after having spoke to both land owners/farmer both have given the go ahead to protect the crop so when the bird's are there I'll do my bit. 

9 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Well done that man 👍

Your right, I think when all this is over hopefully many will look at our farmers in a different light and appreciate how hard they actually work. It's sad to live in a day and age where as far as most are concerned 'food comes from the supermarket' and that's it. 

Both mine are drilled now but have been quiet over the last couple days, after having spoke to both land owners/farmer both have given the go ahead to protect the crop so when the bird's are there I'll do my bit. 

I think the rain we had in Suffolk Sunday made a big difference in washing any remaining seed in. Still need more. Ground is parched and crops been stressing. Have hit them hard my way. No where near the numbers of pigeons there were now, that could of been a bigger problem come harvest. Some still hitting rape and lucerne.  . . .Can't remember seeing so many pheasants and partridges about as this spring. Must be because more survived the very wet game season. English doing well to. Could make for a very different coming game season for some the way things are going if we can keep on top of predator control to. Like small shoots of old.

Don't think Avery and co doing themselves any favours by continuing to Boris bash and ask for money at this time.        NB

9 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

I think the rain we had in Suffolk Sunday made a big difference in washing any remaining seed in. Still need more. Ground is parched and crops been stressing. Have hit them hard my way. No where near the numbers of pigeons there were now, that could of been a bigger problem come harvest. Some still hitting rape and lucerne.  . . .Can't remember seeing so many pheasants and partridges about as this spring. Must be because more survived the very wet game season. English doing well to. Could make for a very different coming game season for some the way things are going if we can keep on top of predator control to. Like small shoots of old.

Don't think Avery and co doing themselves any favours by continuing to Boris bash and ask for money at this time.        NB

It was lovely while it did come down, they drilled the second field the morning after it rained and everything was covered in dust so yeah, no way near enough yet. 

I've got hardly any rape my way after the last lot failed, would like to get atleast a day or two for this season after missing out last year so fingers crossed.

Shhh, let them carry on 🤫 hopefully normal people will see them for what they are.

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

It was lovely while it did come down, they drilled the second field the morning after it rained and everything was covered in dust so yeah, no way near enough yet. 

I've got hardly any rape my way after the last lot failed, would like to get atleast a day or two for this season after missing out last year so fingers crossed.

Shhh, let them carry on 🤫 hopefully normal people will see them for what they are.

Yeah, and didn't the air smelt amazing during  and after the storm. Could see it tracking across Suffolk. Think we had more my way then, 8mm on guage. Drillings looked like they had good soak next day. It's the edges of knocked back rape they hitting. The lucerne to because we not had enough rain for it to get away. Farmer reseeded grass pasture at back of mine and it's looking grim. Even seen load of pigeons and crows on there. Not my ground, tho but interesting to watch. . . .  . . .People will see through there same old repeated fake bull now they have run out of things to leave a CP's gate. It's up to us all to keep educating folk! . . . . .      I am looking forward to the turtle doves coming back! There migration may be easier this year. Last year was good and i and others have done a lot of habitat improvements and kept on top of the crows before  CV kicked off!       NB

6 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yeah, and didn't the air smelt amazing during  and after the storm. Could see it tracking across Suffolk. Think we had more my way then, 8mm on guage. Drillings looked like they had good soak next day. It's the edges of knocked back rape they hitting. The lucerne to because we not had enough rain for it to get away. Farmer reseeded grass pasture at back of mine and it's looking grim. Even seen load of pigeons and crows on there. Not my ground, tho but interesting to watch. . . .  . . .People will see through there same old repeated fake bull now they have run out of things to leave a CP's gate. It's up to us all to keep educating folk! . . . . .      I am looking forward to the turtle doves coming back! There migration may be easier this year. Last year was good and i and others have done a lot of habitat improvements and kept on top of the crows before  CV kicked off!       NB

Oh yes, can't beat that smell, been a long time coming. It tried for ages here then hit hard for a little while. I always keep an eye on ground I don't shoot, you never know when the opportunity might come up. 

There's some we'll never get through too, but I've always maintained that as long as the non shooting but not anti shooting aren't pushed away, we will have a fighting chance and when all this is over and they've seen the good we have done, it's another string in our bow. 

Great stuff, hopefully you can get some pictures up 👍

Great to read chaps, what is the problem driving a few miles up the road for crop protection at the request of our farmers when the government is allowing 15.000 people into the country every day via air travel without any testing then they are allowed to drive off to wherever with no problem !!!! that's nuts surely ?

4 hours ago, purist said:

Great to read chaps, what is the problem driving a few miles up the road for crop protection at the request of our farmers when the government is allowing 15.000 people into the country every day via air travel without any testing then they are allowed to drive off to wherever with no problem !!!! that's nuts surely ?

Dead right, it's nuts. If I were to go the Canada, which seems to have much less of a problem than we do, I would have to submit a 14-day self-isolation plan immediately on arrival. ie how would I get from the international airport to home (400 miles in my case, no one-way car hire at the airport, internal flights stopped) without putting others at risk, who is going to supply my food (no Tesco delivery service there)etc etc. If it were not cast iron in the eyes of the officials, I would be put straight into quarantine, supplied by the Government. I imagine this would be like an asylum seekers camp and it would be a very unpleasant and very dangerous place.

I shall stay here and bicker with you Guys instead!!