Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dad

Another plea

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that is a stupid comment,

A surrendered freedom (or right) is rarely reinstated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

well said sir.

if everyone just took a moment to think about what youve just written , things would be much better.

 

56 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, at this MOMENT in time in our country we are not living our normal lives, so our way of life has changed, everything has changed, we now have restriction that no one ever thought would happen BUT IT HAS and we all must play our part until this dreadful time passes,  

hello, i am a 70 year old retired nobody,

Certainly hit the nail on the head oldpigeonpopper , I think with us older ones it took a little while for this deadly virus to sink in our heads and how it would change our lives , now it have sunk in we can see our way of life could change for ever , or at least for a very long time , STAY SAFE everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marsh man said:

 

Certainly hit the nail on the head oldpigeonpopper , I think with us older ones it took a little while for this deadly virus to sink in our heads and how it would change our lives , now it have sunk in we can see our way of life could change for ever , or at least for a very long time , STAY SAFE everyone.

Fully agree that our lives may well be changed forever (almost certainly for our remaining years). That is why I don't want to sacrifice what pleasures I have left, like sitting on my own in a ditch.

Also fully agree with the STAY SAFE thoughts, my ditch is safer for everyone that my visiting a butcher's shop for meat!! (even if "The Rules" say don't!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am probably classed as a vulnerable person 74yrs heart condition had my 3 score and 10 less likely to get over it being asked to stay at home i get all of that what i cant do is asked a younger person to put their life on the line thats just beginning to get shopping for me because younger people die too. I am sure some older people are ok with it but my indepent attitude to life will not let me.some time ago i let my family know if i was very ill not to resuscitate me and to donate any organs that are any good.all my life i did what i thought was right not necessarily what others told me to do especially if it was flawed. I just got back from the co-op and felt very vulnerable but it had to be done why would i send a younger person.driving back i passed 3 fields of drilling heaving with pigeons not a person in sight i know if it was tuesday and not easter sunday i would have got my gear and gone it was one of my perms.the information i think was flawed you can go out for daily exercise it doesnt say how far or how long i see people with rucksacks and hiking boots going out for the whole day hundreds of them. Cyclist with all their tour de france gear on doing 30 mile round trips hundreds of them providing they social distance nobody seems to bother them but walk across a couple of fields with a gun under your arm and your a selfish threat to society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, motty said:

Why would that be? Are the police being told to be especially harsh to shooters? From what I've read, all police have been saying to people "gathering" is "go home" or "move on."  Why should any harsh treatment be reserved for those with firearms?

Well said Motty , like I said yesterday Basc. under government guide lines say. " should you inform the police take note of your ref. number " indicating you intend to shoot in a sensitive area, it does not say "you should " nor, you are legally obliged to, just like  Nigel Farage said so many million pounds could be used for the NHS. not would be !!! joking apart I think just be sensible shoot when absolutely necessary and requested by the farmer, other wise like someone else mentioned it could be made obligatory, the police enforce the law but do  not make the law. I think  if any person was stopped and questioned about their travel when explained you are going to work for crop protection it would be fine , you are offering a free service to the farmer because you can afford to do that and enjoy your work on the farm, I have friends who are police officers ,well one retired and the wife who is a key worker with her cousin quite high up in the police force who I'm sure would all agree with me being balanced and intelligent people, regards Purist.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@purist I actually (largely) agree with your point of view but I am also a wee tad curious: why is this the only thread you have ever commented upon - nominative determinism or incredible self restraint? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mel b3 said:

i dont know about other forces , but mine told me that i could face a fine , as it was an unnecessary journey , and not in line with government advice.

Yes, fines could be issued to anyone, not just shooters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dad said:

I am probably classed as a vulnerable person 74yrs heart condition had my 3 score and 10 less likely to get over it being asked to stay at home i get all of that what i cant do is asked a younger person to put their life on the line thats just beginning to get shopping for me because younger people die too. I am sure some older people are ok with it but my indepent attitude to life will not let me.some time ago i let my family know if i was very ill not to resuscitate me and to donate any organs that are any good.all my life i did what i thought was right not necessarily what others told me to do especially if it was flawed. I just got back from the co-op and felt very vulnerable but it had to be done why would i send a younger person.driving back i passed 3 fields of drilling heaving with pigeons not a person in sight i know if it was tuesday and not easter sunday i would have got my gear and gone it was one of my perms.the information i think was flawed you can go out for daily exercise it doesnt say how far or how long i see people with rucksacks and hiking boots going out for the whole day hundreds of them. Cyclist with all their tour de france gear on doing 30 mile round trips hundreds of them providing they social distance nobody seems to bother them but walk across a couple of fields with a gun under your arm and your a selfish threat to society.

Couldn't agree more with last few lines. The social justice warriors on this site are misdirecting their concerns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, motty said:

Yes, fines could be issued to anyone, not just shooters. 

I didn't say that it was just shooters motty ,and  it was the unnecessary journey that was the issue,  not the shooting 👍.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

@purist I actually (largely) agree with your point of view but I am also a wee tad curious: why is this the only thread you have ever commented upon - nominative determinism or incredible self restraint? 🤔

Hello Walked up , just self restraint to be honest I have always enjoyed pigeon watch but never felt the need to join in !! I am the kind of person who does not like to disclose what I shoot and where ! but I simply felt I wanted to support "dad"  in  in particular  for going out in which I consider to be   a perfectly legal way and wanted to raise the points why , and thought the flak not justified and I would offer support to any member if they need it and I think it right to back them up  !!! ps. I do realize these are  not normal times and we need to operate in a different way , so stay safe and good shooting when you all get back to it !  regards Purist 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I didn't say that it was just shooters motty ,and  it was the unnecessary journey that was the issue,  not the shooting 👍.

What harm can an "unnecessary journey do" if you don't contact anyone else? I saw council workers planting flowers on a roundabout last week, three of them, only one van. Were they all family members or did two of them walk there? And how necessary are the flowers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local plods explained it by saying that they were worried that you might have an accident or brake down that would then involve many others to sort the situation out.

Makes some sort of sense I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

Our local plods explained it by saying that they were worried that you might have an accident or brake down that would then involve many others to sort the situation out.

Makes some sort of sense I suppose.

Made up nonsense in my opinion. Most accidents happen in your own home don't they, so reducing theoretical risk by going out.

 

Edited by 39TDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Made up nonsense in my opinion. Most accidents happen in your own home don't they, so reducing theoretical risk by going out.

 

hello, Home DIY accidents have increased in the current lockdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

What harm can an "unnecessary journey do" if you don't contact anyone else? I saw council workers planting flowers on a roundabout last week, three of them, only one van. Were they all family members or did two of them walk there? And how necessary are the 

if you can't see what the problem is ,all the explaining in the world would just be a waste of time.

Planting flowers on a roundabout is pointless at the moment, but those guys might be being kept at work in readiness to get redeployed , refuse collection,  funeral services etc ,as they are in my borough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grandalf said:

Our local plods explained it by saying that they were worried that you might have an accident or brake down that would then involve many others to sort the situation out.

Makes some sort of sense I suppose.

And riding a bicycle doesn't involve any risk?? It's not sense, it's NONSENSE!! 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Home DIY accidents have increased in the current lockdown

So let's go and sit in a ditch, it's safer!

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

if you can't see what the problem is ,all the explaining in the world would just be a waste of time.

Planting flowers on a roundabout is pointless at the moment, but those guys might be being kept at work in readiness to get redeployed , refuse collection,  funeral services etc ,as they are in my borough.

You have to be pulling my leg (from more than 2 metres so it's OK!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A seventy year old cyclist, who freely admitted that he hadn't ridden his bike in years, crashed coming down a steep hill into this village this weekend. He was attended to by two paramedics and then an ambulance crew before he was carted off to hospital with several broken ribs and other damage.

A sixty seven year old man from this village has driven his dogs out of the village three times every day since lockdown. The round trip would be about four miles. He has never encountered another soul during these outings. He has done this because there is at least one, possibly more, bitches on heat and his dogs, being both male, get wobble chops and start to behave badly. There is also a Patterdale terrier which roams freely and which has attacked both of the dogs belonging to the gentleman concerned even though they were on leads at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDog said:

A seventy year old cyclist, who freely admitted that he hadn't ridden his bike in years, crashed coming down a steep hill into this village this weekend. He was attended to by two paramedics and then an ambulance crew before he was carted off to hospital with several broken ribs and other damage.

 

I know that many would be scornful,  but  that would be wrong ,the harsh reality of his harmless bike ride , is that not only has he taken up the precious time of everyone involved, paramedics, doctors,nurses , but he's also put himself at a massive risk of covid 19 due to his hospital visit . Why can't people see what's happening.  It's all very sad .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2020 at 19:48, mel b3 said:

basc say ok , and some police forces are saying ok , but my force said no.

My force says no as well had a few calls about trouble fox from one..

another wanted me to go sort out pigeons and crows on his drillings Cleveland said no way is that essential so told them might not be to you but it is when its costing the man his living still said no...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So each police force has decided to apply government guidance completely differently, who could have expected that....

I live in one constabulary, one of my permissions is under 15 mins away in a different constabulary and to get to it I have to cross a third constabulary - oh great 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

three what a nightmare i refused to turn out for crows today but agreed to attend his drilling  tomorrow which has enough to justify going it’s all getting on my nerves now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Hampshire release has really changed the picture for me. I am confident that shooting to protect agriculture would be legal regardless of the police statement, but with a business to run, a family to look after and SGC / FAC to protect can I be bothered with the hassle? It is not just shooting, every police force seems to have had its knuckles wrapt over incorrectly applying the Coronavirus rules. Cambridgeshire had to release an apology after trying to police access to the aisles within supermarkets. I have friends who are former and serving police officers, all of them good people, however the fragmented constabulary system is out dated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting also that SY Police and Cambs both publicly burnt individual officers over the weekend to deflect from poor management. Kudos. 
 

I know this is a tangent but it really is indicative of the mess that the police are organisationally. In my architecture practice I can tear strips of individual architects in private if there have been failings that went against procedure but, as soon as it is in a public environment (to the client, contractor or anyone) I take full ownership alongside the other partners and never allow a finger to be pointed at any of my staff. If there has been an error within an organisation it is ultimately a failure of management, training, procedures or vetting - you do not throw an individual under the bus to save yourself. 

The Cambs statement said “an over exuberant officer who has been spoken to since this [official constabulary account] tweet was published” whilst South Yorkshire describe their own officer as “ill-informed” adding “we have spoken to the officer concerned and made our approach absolutely clear”. Not only massacring police morale but undermining public confidence in officers and giving the impression it has all gone a bit Wild West. 
 

Far better in both instances would be for them to have replied with something like: “The COVID19 social distancing measures are a new area of policing, for which no force has any previous precedent. We are, as always, acting to protect public safety and apologise if in our concern for your health we have occasionally got this wrong. With each day we are able to further clarify with the government/home office the intention and intended implementation of these new laws. We thank you for your patience in this and invite public feedback via our social media platforms, the Police and Crime Commissioner or Independent Office for Police Conduct as appropriate. Regards EL CHIEF”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...