UTV Game Carrier

Hello Chaps/ Chapettes,

This season we will be increasing the number of birds on our shoot to roughly 40-50 birds a day. I want to see everyones solution to carrying birds? We have access to a Utv and a quad but the only trailer that we have available is used for towing the beaters/equipment etc. 

I was thinking of welding a metal A Frame with 3 tier cross beams to sit behind the cab of the UTV. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Have seen a few systems on the back of ATVs and UTVs and without seing the model you have then difficult to advise but all those I have seen have been removable so a frame  UTV wide with three racks should cover your needs even on a better than normal day.  Beware have the racks in such a way that birds hang outside the body as I have seen more than one brace of birds fall under the wheels. 

33 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Build a Rack that will take bread trays. You will get a dozen or so pheasant or 20 partridge to a tray. It is far better than having birds bouncing around on ties.

Thanks dave, so more rectangular and have all the birds on their backs?

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Have seen a few systems on the back of ATVs and UTVs and without seing the model you have then difficult to advise but all those I have seen have been removable so a frame  UTV wide with three racks should cover your needs even on a better than normal day.  Beware have the racks in such a way that birds hang outside the body as I have seen more than one brace of birds fall under the wheels. 

Walker, would you mean don't have the birds overhanging the body as they could fall and be runover. Or don't attach anything along the side (Like a single rail).

Your A frame idea is spot on and all birds will hang within the carrier body.  Dave's idea of the bread trays is also spot on as you would almost get a days shooting in one big tray. Personally I'm old fashioned and like to see birds hanging loose so the air can get round them, particularly partridge on a warm September day.  Having said that, the bread trays are very popular.

9 hours ago, Cornishfowler said:

Thanks dave, so more rectangular and have all the birds on their backs?

Walker, would you mean don't have the birds overhanging the body as they could fall and be runover. Or don't attach anything along the side (Like a single rail).

Yes put the birds on their backs. Bread trays have flaps at the side that flip over to stack. This also allows air flow for cooling. Another benefit is that birds that are”necked” do not lose their heads as the vehicle rocks and rolls. Lastly it saves time stringing.