Insomnia!

Danger-Mouse

I've been out of work for a few weeks and as such I've slipped back into my natural circadian rhythm, that of the classic night owl. This was not an issue until almost exactly a week ago I quit smoking. As pleased as I am to have quit the evil weed it's driving me mad because I just can't seem to manage a decent night's or even day's sleep. The last few days I've managed to grab only a few hours sleep, usually in short bouts of 2 or 3 hours. 

Any suggestions to aid sleep?

Went to bed this morning at 1AM and up at just after 4 so you are not alone. I sometimes listen to rain/storm sounds on youtube played via headphones but I'm guessing not working and packing up the ciggies you have experienced quite a lifestyle change. You could try reading or doing crosswords before you sleep or, at the end of the day, a glass of Whiskey can do wonders.

I had excatly the same when I gave up smoking last Aug. Even had to go to the doctor, as that's when my heart problems started, going cold turkey so to speak. I'd get about 4 hours a night in about 3 stints. They gave me sleeping pills but id fight them. In the end I stopped taking them as they didn't work, and in the end I've resorted back to smoking after new year and i slept again in a regular pattern. 

Sounds like a bull story but I now sleep roughly 6-7 hours a night atm. More if I'm completely drained from work. 

Good luck as it's a pretty **** feeling. 

Most nights I'm one of the last on here 😂 used to be able to sleep fine before my accident, then couldn't sleep at all because of the pain. 

Started taking morphine which helped with the sleep big time but since coming off it all the old pains are back. I'll lie in bed until I can't keep my eyes open anymore, around 2/3am then drift off usually for an hour or so. Then I'll be on and off till about 6 in the morning by when I'm fully awake again. 

The doctors have mentioned sleeping tablets but I'd rather not be putting anything unnecessary into myself. 

Not much help to you I know, your not alone though 👍

10 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Most nights I'm one of the last on here 😂 used to be able to sleep fine before my accident, then couldn't sleep at all because of the pain. 

Started taking morphine which helped with the sleep big time but since coming off it all the old pains are back. I'll lie in bed until I can't keep my eyes open anymore, around 2/3am then drift off usually for an hour or so. Then I'll be on and off till about 6 in the morning by when I'm fully awake again. 

The doctors have mentioned sleeping tablets but I'd rather not be putting anything unnecessary into myself. 

Not much help to you I know, your not alone though 👍

Try this the reviews seem very good 

https://www.quintessentialtips.com/products/dr-greenlove-s-amsterdam-cbd-tea-25-sachets

When I worked I never had a problem sleeping. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep. Since stopping work I don’t get a good nights sleep and also having weird dreams. I am doing more physical work now around the house than ever before (or before the lockdown in gym) so it it not that my body isn’t physically tired but my brain isn’t tired. If that is at all possible. 

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

I'll be honest even if they prescribed it to me I'd say no.

Sometimes just a warm milk helps sleep come that bit easier. 

I had trouble sleeping a while ago and my wife bought some lavender spray which you put on your pillow at night. She also bought a lavender plant which was beside the bed. Might be a placebo but I certainly started sleeping much better

Edited by djrwood

I have alway had problems sleeping. As kid it was murder, awake at 2am in the 1970s was as bad as it could get. These days I am so grateful for the multi media world, there is just so much to engage my brain, so much to learn, watch and listen to. It doesn't bother me any more, I have become used to living and working on minimum sleep. Luckily I own my own business and its not uncommon to find me working at 4am or 12am, it also frees up time to shoot. I love to get over the field, set up a hide and get comfy. Then I'll be akip within 10 minutes.

Podcasts would be an answer, find something you're interested in, download it, get engaged in it and you'll be asleep in no time.

1 hour ago, djrwood said:

I had trouble sleeping a while ago and my wife bought some lavender spray which you put on your pillow at night. She also bought a lavender plant which was beside the bed. Might be a placebo but I certainly started sleeping much better

Thank you, no harm in giving it a try 👍

I have struggled on and off with insomnia for years after coming of shifts.

dont recall having issues sleeping when I quit smoking but had a newborn in the hose so wouldn’t really know.

my personal experience no coffee after lunch or I would wake up for a pee about 2am and that would be it same for coke and caffeine

weight found out about this a year or two ago overweight people suffer more with sleep problems 

alcohol might help drop off but won’t help for quality of sleep.

i found having some repetitive wave sound helps.

finally saying the same short words the is supposed to be good to drop off

last one I think we have a help guide from work about looking after ourselves ( key worker during this epidemic) that had a big section on sleep u2u your email address and will see if I can send it.

finally my sympathies go to you I never feeling as low as when not sleeping properly.

atb Agriv8