Scope Zoom

PPP

Another all things being equal question.

The scope i am buying has the option of either 5-30 x 56 or 2.5 -15 x 56 mm.  Most of the time i use 10x or maybe 12x on my current scopes (4-16x50 and 4-24x50 but of different standards)

All other things being equal, if shooting at 10x is it better to be at the lower part of the zoom range (ie buy 5-30) or the higher part (ie buy 2.5-15)?  The main use is stalking so my question hinges mostly around light transmission.

Thanks.. 

4 minutes ago, PPP said:

Another all things being equal question.

The scope i am buying has the option of either 5-30 x 56 or 2.5 -15 x 56 mm.  Most of the time i use 10x or maybe 12x on my current scopes (4-16x50 and 4-24x50 but of different standards)

All other things being equal, if shooting at 10x is it better to be at the lower part of the zoom range (ie buy 5-30) or the higher part (ie buy 2.5-15)?  The main use is stalking so my question hinges mostly around light transmission.

Thanks.. 

hello, my best scope is 4x12x50 on a 22 L/R zero at 50yards magnification is 9 any more is use to check target

The 2.5 - 15 x 56 would in my view be ideal for stalking as you can stalk with it set at 2.5 giving you an open close up acquisition quickly but then a chance to wind it up to 15 if needed. If you need more than 15 power then just how far away are you shooting ???   I have one of those screw things used for holding fishing reels on to rods which is mounted on the adjustment ring and makes zooming very easy.

004.jpg

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The 2.5 - 15 x 56 would in my view be ideal for stalking as you can stalk with it set at 2.5 giving you an open close up acquisition quickly but then a chance to wind it up to 15 if needed. If you need more than 15 power then just how far away are you shooting    I have one of those screw things used for holding fishing reels on to rods which is mounted on the adjustment ring and makes zooming very easy.

004.jpg

Coaster , 

So there are a few things to consider here .

First obviously  the higher mag scope will be heavier and longer. Throwing more weight forwards on the gun  .

That can be good or bad depending on what you need .

Second the higher mag scope will have a shallower depth of field than the lower one at the same magnifications .so the dof.say at 10x mag on the big scope will be narrower than the smaller scope also set on 10x .

Again .this can be an advantage /disadvantage  ,  depending    on your needs ..

Third .the big scope will transmit less light and have a smaller exit pupil (making it dimmer and more difficult to get your eye  spot on behind ) certainly at the top wnd of the mag but also probably on equal mag as the small scope .

To summerise ..

Unless you NEED high mag .or you want a shallow depth of field for range finding (field target competitions ) .or you want a heavy scope to balance a gun .

Then choose the smaller  scope with just the right amount of maximum  magnification you need .every time  

30 x mag is a lot  and is either for dedicated target work at long range .or field target rangefinding .

I use 24 x on one gun but thats because it makes my reticule work out perfectly for range increments of 5 yds .

If i could id change it to around 16 - 18 x  as i feel for me thats about perfect  for my disiplines 

All the years ive been shooting i have never, ever noticed anything about any weight forward of whatever this that or the other scope. Maybe i dont over analyse these types of stats and just put a scope on a rifle and shoot the blooming thing. A mate of mine looks at these sorts of things,  it takes him 1/2 an hour to put a bolt in his rifle. 

Have  a look at a good all round mag 3-12 x 50  that will cover just about everything from woodland stalking giving plenty of light, to out in the open with the option of higher mag. 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

All the years ive been shooting i have never, ever noticed anything about any weight forward of whatever this that or the other scope. Maybe i dont over analyse these types of stats and just put a scope on a rifle and shoot the blooming thing. A mate of mine looks at these sorts of things,  it takes him 1/2 an hour to put a bolt in his rifle. 

Have  a look at a good all round mag 3-12 x 50  that will cover just about everything from woodland stalking giving plenty of light, to out in the open with the option of higher mag. 

Precisely.

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The 2.5 - 15 x 56 would in my view be ideal for stalking as you can stalk with it set at 2.5 giving you an open close up acquisition quickly but then a chance to wind it up to 15 if needed. If you need more than 15 power then just how far away are you shooting    I have one of those screw things used for holding fishing reels on to rods which is mounted on the adjustment ring and makes zooming very easy.

004.jpg

Ah, a castor, good idea as the zoom rings aren’t easy with cold hands..

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So there are a few things to consider here .

First obviously  the higher mag scope will be heavier and longer. Throwing more weight forwards on the gun  .

That can be good or bad depending on what you need .

Second the higher mag scope will have a shallower depth of field than the lower one at the same magnifications .so the dof.say at 10x mag on the big scope will be narrower than the smaller scope also set on 10x .

Again .this can be an advantage /disadvantage  ,  depending    on your needs ..

Third .the big scope will transmit less light and have a smaller exit pupil (making it dimmer and more difficult to get your eye  spot on behind ) certainly at the top wnd of the mag but also probably on equal mag as the small scope .

To summerise ..

Unless you NEED high mag .or you want a shallow depth of field for range finding (field target competitions ) .or you want a heavy scope to balance a gun .

Then choose the smaller  scope with just the right amount of maximum  magnification you need .every time  

30 x mag is a lot  and is either for dedicated target work at long range .or field target rangefinding .

I use 24 x on one gun but thats because it makes my reticule work out perfectly for range increments of 5 yds .

If i could id change it to around 16 - 18 x  as i feel for me thats about perfect  for my disiplines 

Brill, thanks!

Guys, this is an enormous help, thank you, PW at its best!