Gun Case

Mr.C

As I'm currently furloughed I thought I'd take a look at sympathetically restoring this gun case. 

It's leather on Oak with brass corners. 

I'm looking to clean and feed the leather, remove the green slime around the brass and repair a split in the oak near a hinge. 

The brass hinges are screwed in with steel screws, which I intend to replace. 

I'd also like to alter the inside as I've had the (restocked) butt extended. 

I will also need to source some leather straps in a similar colour, with brass buckles.

I would appreciate pointers at products and techniques if pw'ers could help. 

DSC_1052.JPG

DSC_1053.JPG

DSC_1054.JPG

_20200403_181739.JPG

A19791DA-1B81-4EEA-8F51-51D3F25E6773.jpeg.fbd78bb9da52360c8d431583b2870ec9.jpegHi,  White vinegar and OOOO wire wool to clean the green off the brass  This is due to case being stored in a slightly damp atmosphere , remove From case to do this . Use Urad shoe cleaner all over case let it dry then two coats of frebings Aussie leather conditioner buff  off between  coats. to clean and feed the leather, both available from eBay. You can get straps from Giles Marriot £50 a pair. As for the alteration will depend on how much extra length has been added to the gun,  also your case is highly fitted would difficult to move partitioning about without it damaging the baize.ordinarily the case would be relined to accomplish the refitting. I have added a couple of pictures of before and after cleaning and feeding

3EBEDA2E-B6AA-4277-88B0-38CA9726675B.jpeg

Edited by alan123shooting

Bitten off slightly more than I thought... 

Top pic, corners before and after. They're cast brass and full of green wax underneath. Wanted to clean then up but leave the scars of use. 

Pic 2 shows a nice detail embossed on the front strap loops, the rears are plain but chamfered edges. 

Pic 3 shows some internal damage to a partition. 

_20200409_170704.JPG

_20200409_170811.JPG

_20200409_170911.JPG

Edited by Mr.C

Some stitching needed on the corners. The case isn't that dries out its because it's photographed in sunlight. 

Pic 2 is underneath the handle plates, that waxy green clart again the rest of it stuch to the leather case handle. 

Pic 3 shows the gun will fit bit interior will need adjusting and some matching red baise found. 

_20200409_170941.JPG

_20200409_171051.JPG

_20200409_171137.JPG

I see you took the lidded section out  what is the state of the baize now. The partitioning and baize is stuck with animal glue. (Pearl glue) 
Did you see the thread I did on cleaning the brass. It a mixture of flour salt and white vinegar which makes a paste leave on over night wash off and lightly clean with oooo wire wool. You will have to take the screws out of the strap sliders to clean .  To match the baize if you like I can send you some baize old and new as I keep baize from cases that I work on PM and we can discuss