Chris Packham loses HS2 bid.

Dasher

Sounds like he went off at half cock? Trying to blag it......but the judiciary failed to identify any realistic chance of him winning a JR so his application was refused..........I also read he and WJ withdrew their request for a quick hearing for their application for a JR on the release of game birds, so they could have time to rethink and rewrite their application, after they were appraised of the case the pro shooting organisations (interested party’s) had lodged with the court, in opposition to their claims?.......Packham and co are extremists, using vexatious litigation to try to damage shooting......but using other people’s money (crowdfunding) not risking their own to do so!

12 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Don’t normally agree with him, but on hs2 I do...

12 hours ago, andrewluke said:

+1:good:

What? You agree with him using crowdfunded JR’s to get his own way and stop HS2 going through some woodland?

Whether we think HS2 going ahead is right or wrong it is a different issue!

9 hours ago, panoma1 said:

What? You agree with him using crowdfunded JR’s to get his own way and stop HS2 going through some woodland?

Whether we think HS2 going ahead is right or wrong it is a different issue!

Well I’m not really sure about judicial reviews and what they are/how they work, but yes, anyone who could have any impact to reduce the amount of ancient woodland being removed for a bloody railway is doing something right in my book. So many people on here rave about conservation, when grouse moors are brought up. How shooters are pro conservation etc, well ancient woodland can’t be replaced in any of our, our children’s, our grand children’s, or even great great great grandchildren’s lifetimes. Everyone is also raving about tree planting, woodland creation etc and yet they seem happy to just plough through however many hundred acres of irreplaceable woodland.

as for the crowd funding part, why does it really matter where the money came from? No one had their arm twisted to donate....

Edited by southeastpete

1 hour ago, southeastpete said:

Well I’m not really sure about judicial reviews and what they are/how they work, but yes, anyone who could have any impact to reduce the amount of ancient woodland being removed for a bloody railway is doing something right in my book. So many people on here rave about conservation, when grouse moors are brought up. How shooters are pro conservation etc, well ancient woodland can’t be replaced in any of our, our children’s, our grand children’s, or even great great great grandchildren’s lifetimes. Everyone is also raving about tree planting, woodland creation etc and yet they seem happy to just plough through however many hundred acres of irreplaceable woodland.

as for the crowd funding part, why does it really matter where the money came from? No one had their arm twisted to donate....

It’s not the campaign but his motives that I question.....his (and WJ’s) motives for constantly initiating JR’s...... for example, the general licences debacle and the recent question WJ have raised re: the release of game birds, are in many people’s opinion  (including mine!) just an extremist anti shooting tactic, designed solely to damage shooting......I understand WJ withdrew their application for a emergency JR on releasing game birds......after they became aware of the defence the shooting organisations (interested parties) had lodged with the courts........allegedly in order for WJ to rethink and review their case?

Packham seems to jump on any crusade that will get him publicity, as some kind of self styled saviour of the natural world.......it is my opinion that he instigated this JR, against HS2, not because he could win (according to the judges he didn’t have any reasonable prospect of winning) but to draw attention to himself....and he allegedly used crowdfunding to finance this lost cause legal action?.......But when all said and done, what does losing matter, if it ain’t his own money..........and it gets him publicity?

Edited by panoma1

42 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It’s not the campaign but his motives that I question.....his (and WJ’s) motives for constantly initiating JR’s...... for example, the general licences debacle and the recent question WJ have raised re: the release of game birds, are in many people’s opinion  (including mine!) just an extremist anti shooting tactic, designed solely to damage shooting......I understand WJ withdrew their application for a emergency JR on releasing game birds......after they became aware of the defence the shooting organisations (interested parties) had lodged with the courts........allegedly in order for WJ to rethink and review their case?

Packham seems to jump on any crusade that will get him publicity, as some kind of self styled saviour of the natural world.......it is my opinion that he instigated this JR, against HS2, not because he could win (according to the judges he didn’t have any reasonable prospect of winning) but to draw attention to himself....and he allegedly used crowdfunding to finance this lost cause legal action?.......But when all said and done, what does losing matter, if it ain’t his own money..........and it gets him publicity?

Well if that’s genuinely his only motive then it’s a bit snakey, I’d still support hs2 being scrapped or at least re routed..

6 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Think they are working through, woodland trust have been Trying to save these woodlands with no luck.. Yet more green space lost.. For a ten minute faster train ride. 

For a ten minute faster empty train maybe?

2 hours ago, andrewluke said:

those that contributed to the crowdfunding with Packham done so willingly,everyone of us are crowdfunding towards HS2 whether we want it or not!

Did the public who contributed to the crowdfunding believe Packham was fighting to stop the destruction of an ancient woodland? Well probably yes!.......or did the public contribute to his legal expenses in order to promote and enhance his personal profile? I think not!....it’s telling that the judges, in refusing his application for a JR ruled.......his case had no realistic chance of success!......consequently, the only “win” that came out of this was for Packham’s personal profile......

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Did the public who contributed to the crowdfunding believe Packham was fighting to stop the destruction of an ancient woodland? Well probably yes!.......or did the public contribute to his legal expenses in order to promote and enhance his personal profile? I think not!....it’s telling that the judges, in refusing his application for a JR ruled.......his case had no realistic chance of success!......consequently, the only “win” that came out of this was for Packham’s personal profile......

they had a choice ,i wish i had a choice on funding HS2!

We all had choices..........at the ballot box, in the last GE the public, as individuals, voted for the candidate/party who’s manifesto promises best represent their own opinion, in electing a person/member of a party, we give our individual vote to the government we elect, who use the mandate we give them........as they see fit!....in the last GE, did any party's manifesto include a promise to cancel HS2? If so did you vote for them? 
Don’t get me wrong! I wouldn’t shed any tears if HS2 was scrapped (except for the money already spent and the damage to lives and the countryside already done) But it makes me sick that self promoting people like Packham, jump on the bandwagon, I suspect for publicity purposes rather than any real chance of making a difference to government policy on HS2