Never give up seeking permission

dansage

just wanted to drop you folk who are struggling with permissions a quick summary of my own personal experiences over the years.

I had a couple of relatively small permissions (30 acres) for many years about half hour drive from my house and struggled to find a way to get newer closer permissions as I'm surrounded by fields and farms but could never find the opportunity to get on them without overly bothering the busy farmers.

My FAC and shotgun licences were due for renewal and I was seriously considering letting them lapse due to insufficient land when one day I was walking the dog and noticed hundreds of pigeons setting up home on a newly drilled rape field. Across the way I saw a tractor and the farmer was setting up a gas cannon. I took my chance and approached him and merely asked of he wouldn't mind be decoying a few to which he open armed my invitation which led to another 500 acres plus of arable land of his. Within weeks he'd given my number to a few of his farmer friends which then led to almost daily texts asking for help.

My shooting partner and I now have over 50 permissions under our belt including pigeon, rabbit and fox control and the best bit is half of them are within a 10 minute drive from my house.

It just shows patience does pay and although it can be tough, your permissions will come with patience.

Stay safe everyone 

Dan

1 hour ago, dansage said:

just wanted to drop you folk who are struggling with permissions a quick summary of my own personal experiences over the years.

I had a couple of relatively small permissions (30 acres) for many years about half hour drive from my house and struggled to find a way to get newer closer permissions as I'm surrounded by fields and farms but could never find the opportunity to get on them without overly bothering the busy farmers.

My FAC and shotgun licences were due for renewal and I was seriously considering letting them lapse due to insufficient land when one day I was walking the dog and noticed hundreds of pigeons setting up home on a newly drilled rape field. Across the way I saw a tractor and the farmer was setting up a gas cannon. I took my chance and approached him and merely asked of he wouldn't mind be decoying a few to which he open armed my invitation which led to another 500 acres plus of arable land of his. Within weeks he'd given my number to a few of his farmer friends which then led to almost daily texts asking for help.

My shooting partner and I now have over 50 permissions under our belt including pigeon, rabbit and fox control and the best bit is half of them are within a 10 minute drive from my house.

It just shows patience does pay and although it can be tough, your permissions will come with patience.

Stay safe everyone 

Dan

Its obvious the other 48 permissions had been there all the time, if you don’t ask you don’t get.

• 2 months later...

My experiance says keep chipping away.

Up until a month ago I had only a permission where i'm working, pigeons.

I really wanted a permission on farmland so one day i set off asking local farmers.

Sure I got knockbacks all morning, just about to give up on the way home, I will try 1 mre then call it a day.

Aproached the farmer being as respectful and polite and asked if he needed any help, he didn't but the next farm along did. Nice guy, he will be getting a bottle of whiskey for xmas for that info as it led me to gaining 2 permissions that day.

One is rats rabbits, the other only rats.

It's my first proper permission, and really liking it, the RM8 loves rats, and the pard is getting a good workout.

I have already offered my welding services free to the land owner, yeah there are some little jobs want doing, I'm glad I can help in anyway.

It is daunting approaching someone you don't know, I would think the first 30 seconds and how you come accross is key.

I would also agree, right place at the right time, don't give up.

Stay safe.

Daz