Hardy's gunshop Sheffield

This chap moved from a small shop in a nice ish area to a larger shop in one of the nastiest, drug and crime ridden areas in Sheffield. The old area frequented 24hrs a day with cafes, pubs, clubs, restaurants, on a busy road and multiple bus routes. Students, student accommodation and under 24 hrs CCTV and Police presence. The new area, a side street between houses, few other businesses other than drug pushers. Highly frequented by crack heads, immigrants, professional unworkers. The sort of place when I call in, if I can't touch my car from the window I don't park and go elsewhere. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-52166255

Edited by Centrepin

The new shop is far superior to the old one, just a shame the area is a bit rough. JE James haven't had too much trouble so they probably thought they'd be safe.

Judging by the photo and the layout I reckon they nabbed a few air rifles from the front, doubt they'd get into the back room or the cage for anything more serious. They could be single-barrelled though

Actually the shop and John and his wife who run it are nice people. Knowledgeable and helpful. It's just unfortunate that he picked this area. I think at times we all make poor or bad decisions that we later regret. 

You couldn't swing a cat in his old shop and the rates in Sheffield are exorbitant so I understand the move. Just a poor choice.

I've been in numerous times and it's ok, it's just a poor area.

• 11 months later...
On 05/04/2020 at 09:02, manthing said:

Showing my age. 

But I remember them from the big shop on the Wicker and they had the range around the corner by the little "bus station", Spital Hill? They then moved up near the NUM buildin, or tuck over the gun shop there. 

The Shop on the Wicker was Guns and Ammo. It was owned by Mick Dixon, he then bought Arthur Turners and moved there Mick also had a shop in Perth (Scotland). The Range on Bridge Street was, when I used it run professionally. The Range master was an ex Para (Steve S) and he took **** from no one. My club used the range and of course we had our own range officers but were subject to Steve's overall control. What happened after Steve left to go Treasure hunting in the Philippines I don't know I had already left for warmer climes myself. 

Been to the fishing shop facing for years and spent hours parked outside never seen any trouble. He was unlucky he moved and was targeted by thieves. Another gun shop in Sheffield was robbed the previous year. Parkings a lot better at the new shop and the rent and rates will be much lower at the new shop. I'll be popping in after the 12th when he opens

32 minutes ago, dessyb said:

he has now moved to browns  lock stock s .old shop in maylin bridge i heard.

No, unfortunately that's a little miss information.

John Brown has moved his stock (lock stock and barrel) to Hardys old shop on Alderson Rd, Sheffield 2. I believe, from speaking to John Brown he's running it in conjunction with John Hardy. The official shop opening day is 12th April.

18 hours ago, redhawk44 said:

The Shop on the Wicker was Guns and Ammo. It was owned by Mick Dixon, he then bought Arthur Turners and moved there Mick also had a shop in Perth (Scotland). The Range on Bridge Street was, when I used it run professionally. The Range master was an ex Para (Steve S) and he took **** from no one. My club used the range and of course we had our own range officers but were subject to Steve's overall control. What happened after Steve left to go Treasure hunting in the Philippines I don't know I had already left for warmer climes myself. 

I must have missed this post.

Steve Sargeson is not ex Para, has never been ex Para and would never ever make a Para while he had a hole in his backside. He was a total Walt, was a sergeants mess waiter in the Yorkshire volunteers TA at Endcliffe Hall. He joined recruit company at depot Para and was discharged SNLR after 3 weeks for giving it the big I am. He then as an "Ex Parachute Regiment sergeant" ran the range at bridge Street. Did he never show you the 12 medals he won in his 3 weeks service, most for valour and acts of unselfish bravery. I removed his unearned wings and stripes on the only visit I ever made. Subsequently moved to running the range at Birdwell when dismissed from Bridge Street. Married my cousin, her loss.  Also pretended he was a highly qualified scuba rebreather diver and opened a dive school in Devon. Took passage as crew on a boat to supervise diving and told everyone he was off treasure hunting. He even persuaded a TV company to film him. He made Walter Mitty a believable and truthful character. Moved to Greece I think where again he posed as an ex Para sergeant giving shooting and diving instruction. 

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

So did you push him out of the basket

He was in partial uniform, wearing sergeants stripes and Para wings, I forcefully suggested he removed the wings. The stripes i couldn't care less about. Had he been wearing a maroon machine I would have asked him to remove his head. (I was still serving and in 3 Para at the time, on leave).

Don't like walts!

7 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

So never completed the seven jumps to earn his wings or berry

He only drew uniform, stood in the NAAFI queue for 15 minutes handed in his uniform and was discharged. 3 weeks service. Never got as far as P company, certainly never wore a beret and never in his wildest imagination came near jumping.

8 jumps for wings back then.🤫

20 hours ago, Centrepin said:

He was in partial uniform, wearing sergeants stripes and Para wings, I forcefully suggested he removed the wings. The stripes i couldn't care less about. Had he been wearing a maroon machine I would have asked him to remove his head. (I was still serving and in 3 Para at the time, on leave).

Don't like walts!

I have never worn a uniform myself but I can understand how very offensive it must be to those who have when they come across a creature like this.

Biggest F/U I ever made gave up halfway through for a relationship. It never lasted as I resented her for not  letting me complete the course with my mate he got is wing's and berry .I lost my balls in that net that is my excuse for quitting

Edited by bottletopbill

• 4 weeks later...

In reply to the post on Guns & Ammo, I thought I would add my tuppence worth, Mike Dixon's first shop was in Millhouses, he then moved to Chesterfield Road (which I think his brother ran) and the shop on the Wicker, he did have a business partner but we don't need to go in to that. They then opened the Bridge Street Range, then bought the Arthur Turner name, using the shop at the bottom of Snig Hill, then moved opposite the new Law courts, after that a shop on Langsette Road, the one in Scotland and a registered trading address from home, heard he was involved in the new gun dealership in Attercliffe but of that I can't confirm. As for ranges I understand he had one in Scotland, one in High Bradfield, one at High Green and obviously Bridge Street, he had a lot going on and now all gone.

On 07/04/2021 at 15:32, Centrepin said:

He only drew uniform, stood in the NAAFI queue for 15 minutes handed in his uniform and was discharged. 3 weeks service. Never got as far as P company, certainly never wore a beret and never in his wildest imagination came near jumping.

8 jumps for wings back then.🤫

where did you do your training was it abingdon near oxford