Lost rifle bolt

LakeyLad

Just now, Houseplant said:

People lose bolts in NZ frequently because of the ridiculous half-cock practice (worth a Google). General consensus over here is that you may as well buy a new rifle given the cost/hassle of acquiring a new bolt.

I’ve seen that done a lot in Africa too.

18 hours ago, FreshFace said:

Did the metal detector come up trumps?

Update-

i had my local detector club come out to have a look but no luck. 3 days searching and nothing. I have contacted several gunsmiths and the situation is- I can not just buy a bolt, I would need to apply for a variation for the component. It is possible to do this but quite a lengthy process and also cost more than a new barreled action. So I have been in contact with my local firearms department and under their guidance the plan is to dispose of the gun (I’ll carry on looking for another week) and get a one for one variation. Under the circumstances they were very understanding. Accidents do happen and things do get lost. I am gutted but at the end of the day a used Howa is worth no more than £300.... 

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Happy hunting and look after your bolts! 

16 minutes ago, LakeyLad said:

Update-

i had my local detector club come out to have a look but no luck. 3 days searching and nothing. I have contacted several gunsmiths and the situation is- I can not just buy a bolt, I would need to apply for a variation for the component. It is possible to do this but quite a lengthy process and also cost more than a new barreled action. So I have been in contact with my local firearms department and under their guidance the plan is to dispose of the gun (I’ll carry on looking for another week) and get a one for one variation. Under the circumstances they were very understanding. Accidents do happen and things do get lost. I am gutted but at the end of the day a used Howa is worth no more than £300.... 

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Happy hunting and look after your bolts! 

Good that FEO is happy, expensive lesson to learn but accidents happen. 

51 minutes ago, LakeyLad said:

Update-

tell your RFD to keep an eye out for someone wanting a rifle to fit a howa bolt:whistling:

2 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

tell your RFD to keep an eye out for someone wanting a rifle to fit a howa bolt:whistling:

To be fair I did think about offering the barrel as a spare part to a gunsmith. Being a varmint barrel somebody may have use for it. I will break the rest of the gun and sell as it has a rail, custom trigger and the stock may as well be sold. 

5 minutes ago, LakeyLad said:

To be fair I did think about offering the barrel as a spare part to a gunsmith. Being a varmint barrel somebody may have use for it. I will break the rest of the gun and sell as it has a rail, custom trigger and the stock may as well be sold. 

I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel rifle in .204. Let me know if and when you decide to sell the custom trigger.