Steel, an advantage

2 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

That is interesting and defies logic. if something is heavier propelled at the same speed it should drop sooner.  it does with bullets.

Equally the lighter the bullet the more it is effected by wind. 

What are you using to calculate this data?

This is wrong too im afraid  .

If you  fire a lead ball at 1000 fps or a plastic ball at 100 fps .level  .they both hit the ground at the same time .

This was discovered by galileo in the 16 th century  dropping connon balls off the leaning tower of pizza ..the difference. Is how far can a projecile travel before it hits the ground .if both projectiles have the same bc then the faster will travel further  .if both projectiles have the same speed then the one with the higher bc will travel further . (This is the lead  with a higher bc than steel) 

Cheers 

10 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

For once we agree.

Even same weight of pellet steel will loose out

#6lead vs #4 steel. The lead will still go further.

Yes true .as now the bigger no4 steel shot has a great surface area increasing drag compared to the smaller (equal weight ) lead shot .

Do we often disagree .? 

I hadnt noticed before .

Edited by Ultrastu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

For once we agree.

Even same weight of pellet steel will loose out

#6lead vs #4 steel. The lead will still go further.

I think it was Bob brister in his book or an article . "And there was something in the early 80s in petersens hunting, on shot stringing and overall range. it was chokes them rather than shot type calling the shots "Excuse the pun" not so much shot type as now. But anyway, Bigger shot was in the equation "Garad and Gough thomas both agree with this"  It was shown that bigger shot folowed more uniformly and this was the same with steel. It was said the aerodynamics of bigger shot created more turbulance and clean air behind leading pellets and in short shot strings the charge of shot could travel further.

Gough thomas and Burard both went with the big shot folowing routene too. and although i never went out of my way to try and prove it for myself one way or the other. i still felt it was correct. The Plaswad bucket wad aspect again is again something  you  can not ignore. Choke and its effect on wad fall thus shot travel further before its shot in still air. Again quite relative. its not just specific gravity. or velocity. its way more than that.

3 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Motty,

i understand that logic.  do you think the extra weight of lead will carry it further than the lightness of steel ? even with a tail wind? 

I shoot a lot of steel have no issue with it and know mine and its capabilities ( it out performs me! ) 

BW 

I shot some steel 4s on a field close to a road, a few years back. I was concerned about the shot hitting the road, so got my mate to shoot at me whilst I stood near it. The shot didn't make it anywhere near. It runs out of steam very quickly, 

Guest cookoff013

Is this the place to discuss chokes for steel shot.

I wouldnt mind getting a dedicated steel shot choke.

Reason being, im a sucker for new shiney  things ! 

14 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

Is this the place to discuss chokes for steel shot.

I wouldnt mind getting a dedicated steel shot choke.

Reason being, im a sucker for new shiney  things ! 

Discuss them i suppose, why not start a new thread its free. And more might find it and contribute.

On 08/04/2020 at 21:33, motty said:

I shot some steel 4s on a field close to a road, a few years back. I was concerned about the shot hitting the road, so got my mate to shoot at me whilst I stood near it. The shot didn't make it anywhere near. It runs out of steam very quickly, 

Thats interesting..  i will get some ballistic gel and do a few tests at various ranges i think.. 

if nothing else it may beat the boredom.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the technical input chaps. For me, whatever you’re shooting, lead or steel, small shot or large, fast or faster, if you are having to

consider physics to establish whether your boundary is safe, it isn’t. 

46 minutes ago, chip000 said:

Thanks for the technical input chaps. For me, whatever you’re shooting, lead or steel, small shot or large, fast or faster, if you are having to

consider physics to establish whether your boundary is safe, it isn’t. 

There's always a crystal ball if you're not sure.