4g home hubs

PPP

5g is a long way off in our part of the world, however with kids at home trying to work from home is difficult on our crappy 14 mb bt line (sadly the only option)

Maybe a stupid question, but, would a home hub be any better than hot spotting via my iPhone?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

My father lives on a narrow boat and uses a 4g hub. Works fine, will stream Netflix, Amazon etc.

I like the sound of the narrow boat , could self isolate in one of them very easily , is it permanently moored ? or is there any movement restrictions on narrow boats ?

THANKS 

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

I like the sound of the narrow boat , could self isolate in one of them very easily , is it permanently moored ? or is there any movement restrictions on narrow boats ?

THANKS 

He does have a permanent mooring but you can move about. The temporary moorings require you to move every 48 hours usually. I believe you only have to move a boat length so in theory you could find a place you like and move forward and back. I spent about 6 months living on it at one point when he was living with his other half. Thoroughly enjoyed it however it took some work in winter, keeping the coal stove in day after day or it was cold when I got home from work. It does have central heating that runs off a small diesel burner but no timer for it at the time. It’s not a cheap way to live if you have a permanent mooring, monthly mooring is about £350 and river licence is about £1600 (goes on length of boat). Gas, electric and coal on top.

2 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

He does have a permanent mooring but you can move about. The temporary moorings require you to move every 48 hours usually. I believe you only have to move a boat length so in theory you could find a place you like and move forward and back. I spent about 6 months living on it at one point when he was living with his other half. Thoroughly enjoyed it however it took some work in winter, keeping the coal stove in day after day or it was cold when I got home from work. It does have central heating that runs off a small diesel burner but no timer for it at the time. It’s not a cheap way to live if you have a permanent mooring, monthly mooring is about £350 and river licence is about £1600 (goes on length of boat). Gas, electric and coal on top.

Very interesting and THANKS for your reply ..... I have looked around a few of the Norfolk wherries and would have imagined the way of life would had been very similar , would had suited me down to the ground 

STAY SAFE     MM

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Very interesting and THANKS for your reply ..... I have looked around a few of the Norfolk wherries and would have imagined the way of life would had been very similar , would had suited me down to the ground 

STAY SAFE     MM

Funnily enough I have watched great canal journeys this evening where they had Norfolk wherries on. Never heard of them before, interesting.

20 hours ago, PPP said:

5g is a long way off in our part of the world, however with kids at home trying to work from home is difficult on our crappy 14 mb bt line (sadly the only option)

Maybe a stupid question, but, would a home hub be any better than hot spotting via my iPhone?

Thanks

I won’t pick on the bit about your crappy 14meg line as I dream of that speed. That’s why we had to try 4g lte. Only thing I would say is if the kids are gaming then don’t go near Vodafone, stick to three or EE.

On 05/04/2020 at 07:07, welshwarrior said:

I use one from EE as the broadband I’ve had is so bad and it works a treat no land line at all now so a happy customer had it 18 months. 

Same here in South Ayrshire. Great deal from EE - and a 'landline' phone via voip (please don't ask what that is - it just is!)

I've been thinking of this as the broadband at my workshop is dreadful,  and the very few fibre options are very expensive. 

I was tempted towards 3 but I have read some awful reviews. Also a friend of mine had a  terrible time with 3's customer service when he was dealing with the aftermath of ID theft.

Maybe EE is worth a look.