What sub 12lb hunting pcp

guyelson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus wept - so not only do AA barrels flex like a Roach Pole but now they suffer from Iron Oxide poisoning? The 5 + PCP's that I have owned from this manufacturer must have missed that memo cos , when I eventually sold each one, they all looked pretty much brand new - one of them had been in constant use for over 10 years!

My S410 was bought new in 2000/2001 and has monotonously held zero for almost all of that time. It lost zero for a couple of days in 2015 as the grub screw in the figure of eight stay came loose and the barrel was very whippy. I can’t really fault it but imagine there have been advances in technology in the last 20 years. 

Edited by WalkedUp

39 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Jesus wept - so not only do AA barrels flex like a Roach Pole but now they suffer from Iron Oxide poisoning? The 5 + PCP's that I have owned from this manufacturer must have missed that memo cos , when I eventually sold each one, they all looked pretty much brand new - one of them had been in constant use for over 10 years!

It a well known fact they get rust spots 

43 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Shoot - you're right Ttfjlc - there's the almost constant need to replace the indexing post - sometimes as often as every 8-9 years of heavy use, unless, of course, you fit the newer type which will, most likely, outlast each and every one of us. 

8-9 years? No wonder they had to bring out a newer type :lol:

4 hours ago, Robertt said:

Had AA410 & 510.

Presently use HW100 & S200.

Never any zero issues or rusting.

Rust on a firearm says more about the owner than the firearm.

Alot of Fake News creeping into this Forum I'm afraid. 😕

Not fake news at all AA blueing is not the best , they need a lot more care than most , unless the new ones are different 

like I said look it up a fair few post on it 

7 hours ago, Robertt said:

So you're going by ' a fair few posts' and not personal experience.

From my personal experience the only rust I have seen are on other folks guns. Not mine.

I never go by post only but real life and yes I had a s410 with rust , my shooting partner had one which showing sign of rust putting  , another mate had a s200 with rust pitting and seen a fair few more with the same . Like I said the blueing on AA barrels and cylinders were a bit thin to say the least . I don’t know if AA have improved on this matter on the latter guns or not 

7 minutes ago, villaman said:

I never go by post only but real life and yes I had a s410 with rust , my shooting partner had one which showing sign of rust putting  , another mate had a s200 with rust pitting and seen a fair few more with the same . Like I said the blueing on AA barrels and cylinders were a bit thin to say the least . I don’t know if AA have improved on this matter on the latter guns or not 

I'd say you know a lot of people who need to brush up on their gun maintenance.

My S410 which I've had for around 15 odd years has never had a problem with rust or thinning blue. It's been out in all sorts of weather, (probably not snow from memory).

It gets a good dry, and a fresh going over with an oily rag, being thorough making sure every bit gets some oil, job done. If I feel it got particularly wet, it gets removed from the stock and gets the same treatment.

On 04/04/2020 at 21:29, guyelson said:

Hey guys 

Locally there is a club with extensive hunting grounds but .... only for sub 12ft /lb (which is annoying as I have an fac for .22lr and .17hmr)

what hunting rifles do you rate sub 12ft/lb and where is it best to buy

i like the look of, what are your thoughts and suggestions

bsa ultra se 

hw110k

bsa r10

aa 410 superlite

Back on topic 😏

My suggestions are either the BSA Ultra in whatever format, or the HW100, S or K. I have both and they've never let me down.

Have to agree with villa man on this one .1 person having one gun with no rust is hardley a great representation of all the guns in the uk.but if there is a lot of documented cases of airarms guns rusting .then even if you havent actualy seen all of them for your self .that is a better representation of a trend or a potential problem .

Its a bit like saying i dont have corona virus .so therefore it doesnt exist ....Errrrr it does  and all the cases prove it .I dont have to meet all the people to accept  the trend  .

33 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Have to agree with villa man on this one .1 person having one gun with no rust is hardley a great representation of all the guns in the uk.but if there is a lot of documented cases of airarms guns rusting .then even if you havent actualy seen all of them for your self .that is a better representation of a trend or a potential problem .

Its a bit like saying i dont have corona virus .so therefore it doesnt exist ....Errrrr it does  and all the cases prove it .I dont have to meet all the people to accept  the trend  .

But it is still a generalisation.

I'm sure there are plenty of rusty guns about of all makes, due to poor gun maintenance.

It's more like saying, I don't have Corona virus, and I'm taking sensible precautions not to get it.

Edited by Newbie to this