What sub 12lb hunting pcp

guyelson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

few years now still waiting for my air arms s510 to rust best air rifle i owned in over fifty years faultless tool 

did have a ev2 yrs back lovely ,now only have s410 fac,tx200, tdr,and two s200s so cant be that bad :) ,all with no rust,fac is dated 2008.

JB

To get a healthy layer of rust you need to take them out in the rain then leave them in a damp slip for a few days. Obviously try and avoid ever oiling your gun or storing them in a safe with vapour desiccant. If all else fails, saltwater and complete neglect are a good mix. 

8 hours ago, Robertt said:

Have owned

8 Air Rifles.

6 Air Pistols.

19 shotguns.

12 .22lr's. 

15 centrefire rifles.

No rust on any.

Is this a one off or am I doing something right?

back to the o/p I have a bsa ultra and a a/a 410tdr given a choice I think the ultra comes out on top,being so compact so nice in a hide ,accuracy wise nothing to choose between them,shot count just how many shot do you really need for a session of hunting ,build quality nothing between them,as for the other in your list never had them so cant comment but am looking at the r10 carbine.

cheers JB

How odd that the AA guns should be picked out as being prone to rust - the 2 examples given, the S410 and the S200, are made by 2 totally different companies i.e. NSP Engineering and CZ - thousands of miles apart, different barrel makers, different chemical treatment facilities yet both still potential rust buckets? 

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

How odd that the AA guns should be picked out as being prone to rust - the 2 examples given, the S410 and the S200, are made by 2 totally different companies i.e. NSP Engineering and CZ - thousands of miles apart, different barrel makers, different chemical treatment facilities yet both still potential rust buckets? 

hello, your right bruno, any air rifle/pistol/shotgun/ you name it will rust if you do not look after them, although many cheap chinese jobbies are more prone due to poor manufacturing method of steel finishing, i would never term myself an AA fan boy ha ha more a Green flag

On 04/04/2020 at 21:38, Ultrastu said:

All fine guns .

My money would be with the ultra .as its the shortest and lightest. Possibly  the most reliable though  the 410 would be good also ..

And very  .accurate  probably the chepest too .

The first post in the thread answered the question fully. 

30 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Am thinking of getting a pcp once things calm down, but need a left handed action/stock.

Any one make left handed models?

TIA

bsa ,air arms do I think pretty much all do really and the ambi stocks are not bad,prob find itll only be stocks actions might be rarer.

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, at the risk of starting more arguments.

daystate huntsman, aa s510 or (bit confused by models) bsa r10? Walnut stock and .177.
 I’ve read that bsa can have quality control issues with barrels. Was this years ago? Also is the difference between an r10 and ultra just the regulator? (I find their website challenging)

Ive had gas rams and springers for a very long time and have now decided it’s time to become effete and decadent and get a pcp. And a pump rather than bottle, is that incredibly naive?

i quite fancy the daystate as they don’t seem to be that much more expensive than the other two.

On 05/04/2020 at 18:15, bruno22rf said:

Jesus wept - so not only do AA barrels flex like a Roach Pole but now they suffer from Iron Oxide poisoning? The 5 + PCP's that I have owned from this manufacturer must have missed that memo cos , when I eventually sold each one, they all looked pretty much brand new - one of them had been in constant use for over 10 years!t

That's my experience too, any misses are most likely down to the nut behind the butt and the finish on my Mk1 is solid.

21 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Thanks, is that because the bsa has a higher fill pressure?

hello, no it is the amount of air needed to fill a bottle type PCP to a tube type, not sure of the correct term for the air capacity, i am sure bruno would give a more detailed explanation or Ultrastu, but lets say the bottle on a BSA R10 requires 4 times more air than a 410 tube, thats a lot more extra pumping, that is why i said the 510 as more suitable for the hand pump, but then i had a 410 and falcon i used a hand pump but many years ago when i was far more energetic and younger, after the latter my R10 of 5 years filling and shooting  100s of pellets a 12 LTR cylinder was very handy, i still have 2 PCPs but use very little these days, and cylinders now need a retest, so i have my own decision to think on after lockdown.  good luck in what you decide. cheers

My Theoben MFR.20 i bought in 2003 has suffered none of the problems in this thread, it's been faultless save a couple of bottle seals and the bonus is i could almost recover all my money should i decide to sell it. I also have a Mk1 unregulated model and it's just as good and just as accurate, so regged/unregged doesn't matter both do the job fine.

So a bsa ultra has a 70 cc tube a scorpion has a 115 cc (ish ) and an r10 has a 200 cc bottle  

All are pump able .

I had pump my fx -which is 300 cc .

My mate pumps his impact with a 480 cc bottle  .

It takes longer and more stops and its worth emptying the line at least once on the 300 cc..though  i wouldnt bother on a 200 r10  .just take your time  the higher the pressure required the harder it gets  but an r10 will give loads of shots from a 200 bar fill .so personally i just stop around there  .