Stoger m300 or franchi affinity

cheggs1978

My lad got an affinity beginning of last year, i loved it it fitted me and despite the inertias felt  recoil on 1 3/4 oz bismuth loads i still felt it was an ideal general purpose shotgun. It was sold in November for a used baretta Extrema 2. He loves that and swears he will never have another inertia shotgun.

But like i say i thought it was good, but clearly they are not for everybody make of that what you will.

Guest cookoff013

i was tempted to get a second auto. it would have been a franchi, i did a ton of research.

my number 1 auto is a benelli montefeltro comfortech and its very nice. you need to learn how to keep them running, lube rails, return spring etc. but they run nice. 

only downside, if you neglect the maintanence they can play up with light shells. mine was good with 24g +

On 06/04/2020 at 10:41, cookoff013 said:

i was tempted to get a second auto. it would have been a franchi, i did a ton of research.

my number 1 auto is a benelli montefeltro comfortech and its very nice. you need to learn how to keep them running, lube rails, return spring etc. but they run nice. 

only downside, if you neglect the maintanence they can play up with light shells. mine was good with 24g +

must admit my benelli super sport is the best auto iv owned but as you say dont neglect the maintenance & cleaning 

Guest cookoff013
6 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

must admit my benelli super sport is the best auto iv owned but as you say dont neglect the maintenance & cleaning 

I clean mine silly clean. I also clean and lubricate the stock return spring, the innertia head, and the rails. I use motor oil

Guest cookoff013
8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i was looking at semi autos, light weight/short barrel, the AL 48 i bought off a PW member was very clunky, how do the new affinities compare ?

Dont know, but if you lubricate them well they should be less clunky. I use a slight thicker oil for the auto. When i used a thiner oil i slightly noticed it more. But that could just be me.. Dont over do it in the stock return spring. I noticed my benelli was way smoother too. 

11 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

Dont know, but if you lubricate them well they should be less clunky. I use a slight thicker oil for the auto. When i used a thiner oil i slightly noticed it more. But that could just be me.. Dont over do it in the stock return spring. I noticed my benelli was way smoother too. 

hello, ok thanks to reply

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i was looking at semi autos, light weight/short barrel, the AL 48 i bought off a PW member was very clunky, how do the new affinities compare ?

Completely different. 

The AL48 is a long recoil operated gun, with a reciprocating barrel, the Affinity is an inertia operated system, and much less clunky. I enjoy long recoil actions, had an AL48 once and still have the Browning Auto 5. I have had my Franchi Affinity for about 5 years and it is a superb gun, no issues to speak of.

I also had a Stoeger 2000 and it was rubbish, jamming constantly and got rid of it.

3 minutes ago, wraivi said:

Completely different. 

The AL48 is a long recoil operated gun, with a reciprocating barrel, the Affinity is an inertia operated system, and much less clunky. I enjoy long recoil actions, had an AL48 once and still have the Browning Auto 5. I have had my Franchi Affinity for about 5 years and it is a superb gun, no issues to speak of.

I also had a Stoeger 2000 and it was rubbish, jamming constantly and got rid of it.

hello, thanks that is very helpful :good:

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Had a look at a affinity just before th lockdown found it to be chunky, fella then handed me a used franchi i fast really slim and lightweight, basically it's a benelli going to treat myself after the lockdown 😁

3 minutes ago, daisyrob1 said:

Had a look at a affinity just before th lockdown found it to be chunky, fella then handed me a used franchi i fast really slim and lightweight, basically it's a benelli going to treat myself after the lockdown 😁

hello, i am thinking of a second hand Franchi affinity black 26 barrels if i can find one in GWO and not to expensive, been offered a Beretta Outlander with 26 barrels, in vgc both these are about the same weight,

1 hour ago, daisyrob1 said:

Al 48s and the steel framed magnum A48s are long recoil. The Affinity is Short recoil. Or inertia "Which the both are" as they started calling them in the mid 80s.

With the short recoils, you have less mass/ "Thus Less CLUNKY as you put it.

A big downside to Short recoil is its hold sensitive and the lack of mass in the bolt mechanisum, means the bolt spring rate is important to reliable operation, and where a brad range of ammo from say 1oz to 2 1/4 oz is involved. The function is not always 100% reliable across the board. The Long recoil guns, Never had 3.5 inch loads to contend with and tended certainly in the magnum 3 inch versions to have multiple friction ring bushes that with their collars could be re arranged to offer a very broad range of functionality, the short recoil mechanism, does not have that luxury.

Also with short recoil it has no double shuffle effect like long recoil which spreads out the felt recoil and even moves mass which on correctly set up friction rings can lead to respectable felr recoil even with heavy loads.

Short recoil on the other hand will indeed have more felt recoil, when compared to say a gas semi auto, or even their long recoil counterparts.

There is the long answer now the simple answer. The affinity wont be as CLUNKY as the AL48 franchi. But it will bump a little more, and if you use the 3.5 inch chamber to its full with 2 1/4 oz loads or magnum steel loads you will have similar felt recoil as with any fixed breach/ brak action O/U or SxS of A similar overall weight . The recoil aspect put my son off the Affinity, he got an Extrema 2 and loves the lower felt recoil, its not a problem to may way of thinking, but some do not like the felt recoil of short inertia guns.

4 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Al 48s and the steel framed magnum A48s are long recoil. The Affinity is Short recoil. Or inertia "Which the both are" as they started calling them in the mid 80s.

With the short recoils, you have less mass/ "Thus Less CLUNKY as you put it.

A big downside to Short recoil is its hold sensitive and the lack of mass in the bolt mechanisum, means the bolt spring rate is important to reliable operation, and where a brad range of ammo from say 1oz to 2 1/4 oz is involved. The function is not always 100% reliable across the board. The Long recoil guns, Never had 3.5 inch loads to contend with and tended certainly in the magnum 3 inch versions to have multiple friction ring bushes that with their collars could be re arranged to offer a very broad range of functionality, the short recoil mechanism, does not have that luxury.

Also with short recoil it has no double shuffle effect like long recoil which spreads out the felt recoil and even moves mass which on correctly set up friction rings can lead to respectable felr recoil even with heavy loads.

Short recoil on the other hand will indeed have more felt recoil, when compared to say a gas semi auto, or even their long recoil counterparts.

There is the long answer now the simple answer. The affinity wont be as CLUNKY as the AL48 franchi. But it will bump a little more, and if you use the 3.5 inch chamber to its full with 2 1/4 oz loads or magnum steel loads you will have similar felt recoil as with any fixed breach/ brak action O/U or SxS of A similar overall weight . The recoil aspect put my son off the Affinity, he got an Extrema 2 and loves the lower felt recoil, its not a problem to may way of thinking, but some do not like the felt recoil of short inertia guns.

hello, many thanks that is super helpful :good: i might do some more research on that Beretta Outlander

Edited by oldypigeonpopper