Rifled shotgun barrels for slug - UK legal?

EDP

I thoroughly enjoy the Target Shotgun Slug events I've been able to join in with - after reading a bit and then watching some slug tests on pootube I'm interested to know if we're allowed rifled barrels on section 1 "firearm" shotguns? I'll give my FEO a shout, not sure if those chaps and ladies in my police firearms team are currently furloughed though, so thought I'd see if anyone on here knows for certain, one way or the other?

No. They are legal but...in ANY pump action or self loading shotgun they are regardless of either barrel length or magazine capacity S5. In any other shot gun be it side by side, over and under, lever, Martini, falling block or bolt action they are S1 if barrel length and overall length is greater than the dimensions of a 'small firearm' as defined in the Tory 1996 Act that banned handguns. If under that they by that alone become S5. The sole exception of 'shot pistols' being reserved to smoothbore 9mm Rimfire or smoothbore . 410''.

Edited by enfieldspares

Thank you for the info - I really like a club buddy's Adler lever-action, but it's already a section 1 so I can't work out if that means a rifled barrel would then make it section 5 or if it would remain section 1? Not that I've any idea if Adler make a rifled barrel for it, but maybe there are other brands I'm not aware of yet.

On 05/04/2020 at 09:45, EDP said:

Thank you for the info - I really like a club buddy's Adler lever-action, but it's already a section 1 so I can't work out if that means a rifled barrel would then make it section 5 or if it would remain section 1? Not that I've any idea if Adler make a rifled barrel for it, but maybe there are other brands I'm not aware of yet.

They might not make a rifled barrel, but extended rifled chokes are available for some models- not sure of their effectiveness