Sir Kier Starmer - Here We Go!

TIGHTCHOKE

If his first act as opposition leader is to try and score points by criticism of the government over a pandemic that nobody in the world can come up with an answer to then that is a very poor start. Let’s wait and see how he performs when parliament is sitting again and the main business of the day is normal politics. However I fear the different factions of his party that are still pulling in different directions will just keep pulling the party down.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bostonmick said:

If his first act as opposition leader is to try and score points by criticism of the government over a pandemic that nobody in the world can come up with an answer to then that is a very poor start. Let’s wait and see how he performs when parliament is sitting again and the main business of the day is normal politics. However I fear the different factions of his party that are still pulling in different directions will just keep pulling the party down.

his 2nd act was to sack that old woman Barry gardiner...............Barry has realeased a statement to the press that he has stood down...........................more like stood on

would you call starmers 2nd in command......an asset  ???

I must admit he gets congratulations from me for kicking out my MP John Trickett. 

There is the old saying that in constituency like Hemsworth, stick a red rosette on a donkey and it will get elected. It is an insult to all donkeys to suggest that trickett could perform better than them.

Whoever he appoints should be an improvement.

His problem is the same one that plagued Gordon Brown - he is boring. No visible personality, which is what is needed in modern, presidential type elections.

That said, I hope he gets stuck into the anti-semite scum quite quickly.

38 minutes ago, Harnser said:

At least he got rid of abbacus Abbott . A shame really as she was a real asset to the Tory party .

harnset

i shall miss "the abbott".....................mind you from the back benches i daresay she will come out with the odd twinkle of stardust to brighten everyones day

11 hours ago, Diver One said:

I've  got a place for Long Bailey 👍

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

and what place would that be..................

8 minutes ago, twenty said:

I've got a soft spot for her..............down the bottom of our garden.

Do you still have an outside lavatory?:w00t:

Sir Kier is a man of great wisdom and character. 

In 2009, the paedophile Jimmy Savile was interviewed under caution by police in Surrey and Sussex. Subsequently, the police referred 4 cases to the CPS alleging that Jimmy Savile had abused 3 girls under the age of 16.

The CPS, after receiving the files from the police, refused to prosecute Savile and dropped the case claiming ‘insufficient evidence’’.

After Savile’s death, and despite multiple attempts of high level cover ups, we now know that he abused up to 500 victims over a four-decade period.

The man in charge of the CPS at the time, that decided there was 'insufficient evidence' to charge Savile, is the now Leader of the Labour Party, Sir Kier Starmer.

Edited by mick miller

1 minute ago, mick miller said:

The man in charge of the CPS at the time, that decided there was 'insufficient evidence' to charge Savile

I am no supporter of Labour or defender of Starmer, but it is quite possible that there was 'insufficient evidence' at the time

The Police collect evidence and in the event that they think they may have a case,  put that evidence to the CPS who need to be confident that they have a good chance of winning the case.  Once you have charged someone and taken them to court - and they have been found 'not guilty', it is difficult to charge them again later unless there have been quite material changes to the evidence (or other offences are on trial).  It is known as Double Jeopardy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_jeopardy

For this reason - the CPS won't go to trial if they believe that they have insufficient evidence to convict - even if they believe the accused to be guilty - because it might prevent any future trial.

I seem to remember that much of the solid evidence about Saville came out after his death.  Whether the lack of evidence before was Police negligence, frightened witnesses, possible corruption or something else, the likelihood is that the CPS would have wanted to be very certain of conviction before putting such a prominent figure on trial for such serious offences.

1 minute ago, mick miller said:

One case should be enough to warrant investigation.

I don't disagree at all.  However - investigation (and therefore evidence gathering) is a Police role - not a CPS role.  The CPS take the police evidence file and assess whether there is a case that has a good chance of achieving conviction.  I assume that the POlice were not able to gather sufficient evidence to present a watertight case.  I am not defending Starmer, or the CPS - but going to trial with a bad case might prevent justice (under the rules of Double Jeopardy) rather than achieve it.