Air Arms S410F Pellet Choice

Touchstone

All rifles are individual .

What suits my 410 may not suit yours.

Quality ammo does provide a more reliable outcome in general but unfortunately you need to experiment with your own gun.

If you can beg / swap with a friend then that can reduce the cost massively but AA field in all head sizes should be a good bet.

The end results depend on how accurate you want to achieve - single hole for benchrest may be the goal but for hunting a 1" group at 35 yards will do the  business .

I know we all want good groups but depends on the application really

If you honestly imagine that pellet manufacturers can work to such tolerances then carry on. The diameter of a soft metal such as lead will go up and down like a whores drawers from the tin in your cupboard to the pouch or whatever in your pocket. Unless you are only ever going to shoot at 20 degrees C (standard temp at which metal is measured) then your best bet is to try a variety of Ammo then stick with whatever gives the most consistent accuracy in your gun. AA guns generally prefer AA or JSB (same pellet) but you might have an odd barrel that loves H&N - now is the time to try.

Edited by bruno22rf

52 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

go up and down like a whores drawers

Love it.

52 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

AA guns generally prefer AA or JSB (same pellet

But are they? I've put them side by side and there are slight differences,  it could just be different dies,  inside there skirts are different,  but you could likely mix them up and not know the difference unless they shot differently. 

Not even 2 different die batches of the same size by the same manufacturer are the same. 

My routine is as follows. 

Buy some AA diabolo field in 4.52, open tin and give it a squirt of oil, put lid back on. 

I don't even sort out the slightly miss shaped skirts anymore. 

No I don't hunt I shoot HFT comps. 

AA and JSB same manufacturer different dies. 

Edited by Mr.C

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents,

Mine appears to shoot equally well with JSBs and Bisley Magnums/H&N Baracudas in 4.51 and 4.52mm.  You often hear talk about British and German bore sizes and which calibre of pellet is best suited to each.  I'm more than happy with the accuracy that I'm achieving with ragged holes at 25 yards.  It was just down to idle curiosity really.

Tim