Trees

steve_b_wales

As some of you on here will be aware, I grow trees to pass on to farmers/landowners etc to re-plant. I've been doing this for the past 17 years, and during this time, the amount is well over 1000. These were mainly Oak and Horse Chestnut. I find these the easiest to grow. For many years, I have tried, without success to grow Beech, and have tried all ways to get the Beech mast to germinate. For some reason, this year, I have succeeded, although I haven't done anything different than before. So far, I have approx 20 that have germinated and hopefully, more to come. I also tried planting Walnuts, and was surprised the other day, that one of them has 'sprouted'. I checked them in the container and tried pulling gently on one of them. It's held fast in the soil, and I hope in time, it will start to push through and flourish. In a few month's time, I will have quite a few Oak saplings to pass on and also some Horse Chestnut.

Happy Days.:)

Hi Steve

I also plant oaks I’ve grown on my friends farm, I’ve currently got a year old sweet chestnut growing on .

i tried beech this year but nothing germinate☹️ can you please share the method you used this year ?

ill try walnuts this winter 

Dean

Graet success and more grease to your elbow my man.  I hope some of those acorns I sent sprouted. I have just given a nice 3ft oak to a farmer friend who is planting it in a favoured spot in memory of his grandfather.   Reference walnuts, you do not have to bury them fully, just push them into some damp soil and maybe put a handful of straw or dried grass on top. I have found one or two in the grass of of orchard already putting out a thick white root, I think they put that root down and then the shell splits open and the two'nuts' inside open as the first 'leaves'  do they call them coteledons or something like that then the main stem grows from the centre of that.   I have about fifteen growing in my wood which have been dropped by crows or magpies and some are now 15ft high.  A member up in Derbyshire had some walnuts from me and was succesful in growing some.

There's a name for that freezing process  ??????????????????

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Graet success and more grease to your elbow my man.  I hope some of those acorns I sent sprouted. I have just given a nice 3ft oak to a farmer friend who is planting it in a favoured spot in memory of his grandfather.   Reference walnuts, you do not have to bury them fully, just push them into some damp soil and maybe put a handful of straw or dried grass on top. I have found one or two in the grass of of orchard already putting out a thick white root, I think they put that root down and then the shell splits open and the two'nuts' inside open as the first 'leaves'  do they call them coteledons or something like that then the main stem grows from the centre of that.   I have about fifteen growing in my wood which have been dropped by crows or magpies and some are now 15ft high.  A member up in Derbyshire had some walnuts from me and was succesful in growing some.

There's a name for that freezing process  ??????????????????

If there’s any chance of 1/2 dozen native walnuts this autumn I’d gladly pay the postage ?

Im in Derbyshire but have a nottingham postcode

Regards 

Dean

Edited by Modafinale

Walker570 sent me a boxful to grow on but I had to do a taste test and they are by far the best tasting walnuts I've ever had,it was difficult not to scoff the lot. Out of 20 that I planted 8 have grown. 10 had the shell's cracked and the other 10 was left whole,it didn't make any difference which germinated. There would have been more but I thought that the crow's had been pulling them out but it turned out to be a squirrel.

2 hours ago, Modafinale said:

Hi Steve

I also plant oaks I’ve grown on my friends farm, I’ve currently got a year old sweet chestnut growing on .

i tried beech this year but nothing germinate☹️ can you please share the method you used this year ?

ill try walnuts this winter 

Dean

Hi Dean,

To be honest, I did nothing different to what I've tried in the past. I just planted the seeds, made sure they were well watered and left them to it!

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Great news Steve, I have had Horse chestnut trees from you before and would like some oaks when the time comes.:good:

I'll keep you posted. :good:

50 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

And with that simple act, steve_b_wales ,you are achieving more than Packham ever will.

:good::good:

I think I finally got some grafts to take this year (found a fantastic apple tree a few years back but it was grown from seed and the royal horticultural people say its nothing known), this will be the third year trying to get grafts from it to take. 

Lets hope its it’s a good year for trees. 

1 hour ago, Modafinale said:

If there’s any chance of 1/2 dozen native walnuts this autumn I’d gladly pay the postage ?

Im in Derbyshire but have a nottingham postcode

Regards 

Dean

Should have some all being well and it should be about October when the first start to fall. You need them fresh off the tree in my view to have best success.  Give me a shout end of September and we will fix it up.

By the way I don't think walnuts are native but they have been here a long time.

Edited by Walker570

22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

As some of you on here will be aware, I grow trees to pass on to farmers/landowners etc to re-plant. I've been doing this for the past 17 years, and during this time, the amount is well over 1000. These were mainly Oak and Horse Chestnut. I find these the easiest to grow. For many years, I have tried, without success to grow Beech, and have tried all ways to get the Beech mast to germinate. For some reason, this year, I have succeeded, although I haven't done anything different than before. So far, I have approx 20 that have germinated and hopefully, more to come. I also tried planting Walnuts, and was surprised the other day, that one of them has 'sprouted'. I checked them in the container and tried pulling gently on one of them. It's held fast in the soil, and I hope in time, it will start to push through and flourish. In a few month's time, I will have quite a few Oak saplings to pass on and also some Horse Chestnut.

Happy Days.:)

hi Steve looking for advice regarding trees , iv'e about 30 odd cobnut slips that I pushed it bucket that i'd gown a cucumber  last year , they have buds growing on them ,when do you think I would be  able to seperate them , they have been planted about 2-3 months ? atb  DD

28 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

hi Steve looking for advice regarding trees , iv'e about 30 odd cobnut slips that I pushed it bucket that i'd gown a cucumber  last year , they have buds growing on them ,when do you think I would be  able to seperate them , they have been planted about 2-3 months ? atb  DD

Once mine have germinated and they've started to produce buds, I then separate them into their own 'pots' (I use the plastic disposable cups) and then let them continue. In the past, I've left some of them in the pots for up to a year. By then, they've produced a lot of roots.:good:

This year, I've also planted some American Red Oak acorns, and I noticed yesterday, that some have already started to break through the soil.

22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Happy Days.

have you seen this

58 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Once mine have germinated and they've started to produce buds, I then separate them into their own 'pots' (I use the plastic disposable cups) and then let them continue. In the past, I've left some of them in the pots for up to a year. By then, they've produced a lot of roots.:good:

This year, I've also planted some American Red Oak acorns, and I noticed yesterday, that some have already started to break through the soil.

steve the ones I have are cuttings that are about 2 -3 ft long .

12 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

steve the ones I have are cuttings that are about 2 -3 ft long .

Then they would certainly be ready for moving on. The more roots a sapling produces, the better the chance of it continuing to grow when re-planted. My saplings are usually 6-9" in height before I send them out to those who want some. I'm looking forward to the American Red Oaks growing, and I'm going to ask a local farmer, if he would like to plant a few on his land. This is where I picked up the Beech mast, The tree's are, I've been told, well over 150 years old.

Good luck :good:

21 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I think I finally got some grafts to take this year (found a fantastic apple tree a few years back but it was grown from seed and the royal horticultural people say its nothing known), this will be the third year trying to get grafts from it to take. 

Lets hope its it’s a good year for trees. 

Have you tried Brogdale it’s a national collection of apple trees ? They do identification if you take them an apple .

Steve.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Then they would certainly be ready for moving on. The more roots a sapling produces, the better the chance of it continuing to grow when re-planted. My saplings are usually 6-9" in height before I send them out to those who want some. I'm looking forward to the American Red Oaks growing, and I'm going to ask a local farmer, if he would like to plant a few on his land. This is where I picked up the Beech mast, The tree's are, I've been told, well over 150 years old.

Good luck :good:

Thanks Steve good luck with the red oaks .DD