Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zimtrout

Suzuki Jinmy Lift Kits

Recommended Posts

Morning all

are there any jimny pros on here?? I am looking at buying at 2000 reg suzuki jimny and sticking a lift kit and some bigger tyres on it.

mainly for something to keep me busy and secondly i need a decoying and shooting vehicle! my skoda cant take the beating or more like i am tired of trying to keep it clean....

cheers ZT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you trying to achieve ? By bigger tyres do you want taller or wider tyres ? 
wider tyres don’t always mean better grip. 
also something to think about is weight .

ive seen a jimny with a lift and large off rad remoulds that could hardly pull off due to the gearing being so wrong for the tyres fitted.

series Land Rovers has thin tyres to cut through mud to get grip and where very successful, the fashion for large fat tyres is not necessarily a step forward although it is good for the soil 

p.s lifts can also have as many disadvantages as advantageous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seconded. Unless you are going seriously off road/competitions etc there is little need to modify the standard Jimny. A set of good standard size tyres,205/70/15 with as much off road bias as you think you need will be fine. I've used a standard 2006 Jimny with Cooper Mud/Ice tyres for all my shooting access in some of the roughest parts of the Dales and the claggiest arable fields lower down with no problems whatsoever, I've now got a 2016 model with traction control which is another world altogether. Have a lot of fun learning just what a Jimny can do without modification before changing it from standard and you'll be astonished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Seconded. Unless you are going seriously off road/competitions etc there is little need to modify the standard Jimny. A set of good standard size tyres,205/70/15 with as much off road bias as you think you need will be fine. I've used a standard 2006 Jimny with Cooper Mud/Ice tyres for all my shooting access in some of the roughest parts of the Dales and the claggiest arable fields lower down with no problems whatsoever, I've now got a 2016 model with traction control which is another world altogether. Have a lot of fun learning just what a Jimny can do without modification before changing it from standard and you'll be astonished. 

This is good advice I think. My Hilux will do far more than I would dare to do. Last year I went out on a farm with the farmer showing me a few new places to survey. He asked me to drive up hills that I would never have thought possible. The fwd is an extra in my mind and not something I plan on using if I dont have to. Last thing I want to do is create rutts or tracks over a field I dont have to. Biggest advantage is driving on rutted tracks or farm gateways.

The Jimny, i would imagine having a narrower track than the deep ruts left by tractors. Just for me they are a bit small. 

Mate swapped from a freelander that he reckons would go anywhere to a Landcruiser which he reckons from its sheer weight is limited to tracks due to the damage it woud create. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about switching to four wheel drive early, is that it can mean your cut up the field less because the required power is distributed through four contact patches rather than two.

 

David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno about Suzuki’s but a Land Rover with a 2 inch lift kit handles like a tit on a trampoline and a 4 inch lift is positively dangerous on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wider tyres were just to help with leaving marks on the field margins etc.

Lift kit was to add slightly more ground clearance to get over rougher patches on one bad bit of land i shoot over. 

Perhaps a set of better rough terrain/mud tyre would be better??? 

any thoughts on the best option. I would never be driving it more than 35 mins on normal roads.

 

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

2'' lift 16''vitara wheels, 30mm spacers 215/75/16s insa risko pattern, never got stuck anywhere.

IMG_4565.JPG

This looks perfect!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Zimtrout said:

The wider tyres were just to help with leaving marks on the field margins etc.

Lift kit was to add slightly more ground clearance to get over rougher patches on one bad bit of land i shoot over. 

Perhaps a set of better rough terrain/mud tyre would be better??? 

any thoughts on the best option. I would never be driving it more than 35 mins on normal roads.

 

This looks perfect!!!!

It was and handled well, also put a steering damper on, just personal preference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

2'' lift 16''vitara wheels, 30mm spacers 215/75/16s insa risko pattern, never got stuck anywhere.

IMG_4565.JPG

 

Failr play to you NinjaFerret that looks the business 👍

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

sorry , just couldn't resist................

Yeah just it's really patchy......🤪

Also you have mispelt Jimny in the head title ....😜

Edited by mad1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mad1 said:

Yeah just it's really patchy......🤪

Also you have mispelt Jimny in the head title ....😜

LOL Sorry, not me, all of my spellings are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ninjaferret said:

LOL Sorry, not me, all of my spellings are correct.

Doh....lol

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for you to check when your looking at the Jimny's, check the Transfer box mount, alloy and nearly always broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...