Is my gun proofed for steel?

ilovemyheckler

16 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

While busy "home working" I thought I would check and see if my gun was proofed for steel cartridges. However, I can't see any markings that relate to steel.

Anyone where and what to look for?

Its a Berretta 692 Sporting and I bought it new 3 years ago

Has it got a Fleur de Lys mark, that's the usual sign

15 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Anyone where and what to look for?

You are looking for the mark below, usually with the words `Steel Proof`. Location varies slightly but will be on the barrels forward of the point where they engage the trunnions.

image.jpeg.f9020289349455044ff3a6027e03c170.jpeg

"Standard Steel" cartridges and "High Performance" steel  cartridges are the TWO sorts of steel cartridges.

There's a lot on the internet about both but in simple terms any gun in proof for 70mm cartridges and with a choke of no more than 1/2 choke (although this benchmark varies on which source you view on the internet) will be able to use "Standard Steel " cartridges. That is as long as they less than English #4 shot size (although this benchmark varies on which source you view on the internet) besides the choke limitation as noted.

So "Standard Steel" is OK for you gun but if not marked with the fleur-de-lys it should not be used with "High Performance" steel.

But...THIS....check directly with Beretta. Their after sales service will be top notch.

Edited by enfieldspares

With a gun that is 3 year old (2017) it should almost definitely be steel proof. 

If you take the barrels out of the butt stock the market should be On the bottom of the barrels where it hinges into the action. 

I assumed that both my SP from around 2004 and my Remington 11-87 are steel proof, however just looked and can’t see that symbol on either 👀😬 I have however fired 3” HP steel through my 11-87 with no problem. 

12 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I have had another closer look and it is proofed for 3"/76mm cartridges

There appears (its very small) a fleur de Leys with an "S" next to it.

Looks like it is so no need to continue looking at new guns, better get back to working from home!

Oh no, I'll take the dogs out

Where about was it? Worried about mine now :lol: