Cold bluing - Phillips Cold Blue especially

Cumbrian

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad,  of Phillips Cold Blue for a whole barrel (or even for a touch-up job)? Or can you recommend any really effective cold blue that is obtainable in the UK, the problem being that several, apparently very good blue treatments are confined to the USA, either for shipping purposes or because of the cost of posting for a dangerous product? The Phillips Blue is available and not too expensive over here. The commonly available Birchwood Casey product does not seem to be top notch.

My reading suggests that the best results for any product will come from not only very careful de-greasing, careful preparation, heating the barrel, oiling afterwards, etc, but also from using some kind of etching/bonding first stage agent,  e.g. Mark Lee's Browning, which, perhaps surprisingly,  is obtainable from Brownells U.K., unlike most of the highly recommended second stage treatments, for example, Oxpho Blue, which are stuck in the U.S.

I have either done barrels (and pistols) by a traditional (acid based) hot black that is in reality an accelerated rusting. Or used the Birchwood Casey stuff that looks like blue jelly. The knack in both is scrupulous degreasing and also with the Birchwood Casey it helps to warm the work. Heat is a catalyst so aids the effectiveness of the process. To heat a barrel (that's not being traditional hot blued) quickly and evenly all around use a funnel and pour hot water down it.

On 09/04/2020 at 18:32, Cumbrian said:

Thank you very much for the reference to Swallow Forge. Looks interesting.

This is just a quick half ***** job I just done with the trigger guard of my yeoman with the phillips stuff. Granted it's got a coat of oil on it but it seems good so far. When I get my action back into the wood and all this back together I'm planning on doing the barrels

20200414_141500.jpg