New Combi drill

I'm thinking of changing my combi-drill. I have a Bosch PSB 18v 1.3amh right now, but would like to go to a metal chuck and potentially a brushless motor. Any suggestions? B&Q's Own brand (I think?) Erbauer look good on paper, but has anyone got any experience fo them? I'm looking at the £100-£120 bracket, if that helps!

I have the 18v Erauber drill and impact wrench. Both very good, however the drill which has a metal chuck has one slight annoyance. The electronic brake is very harsh and after drilling a few holes for instance the force of the brake loosens the chuck, its then you realise that the drill bit is no longer in the chuck Dosn't matter how tight you do it . After a while you get used to checking every few holes you drill.

Still very good drills ,fast charge as well. 

Edited by fatchap

We have Erbauer, combi x 2 and impact driver at work, both from screwfix. Absolutely cant fault them for the money, impact driver is a monster. I use a Makita combi for home and shoot and that has so far been spot on, even after being left in the rain!

18 minutes ago, kennett said:

We have Erbauer, combi x 2 and impact driver at work, both from screwfix. Absolutely cant fault them for the money, impact driver is a monster. I use a Makita combi for home and shoot and that has so far been spot on, even after being left in the rain!

Interesting, interesting. Did you have a similar complaint as fatchap?

Edited by chrisjpainter

6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’ve been impressed with erbauer cutters and drills . I’ve not heard anything bad about them at all .

as a trader it’s makita all the way but I’d certainly give erbauer a go 

This is just for personal use, so it might be worth a shot. B&Q also doing one with a set of drill bits right now for £100 - useful as I'm locked down at my girlfriend's house with nothing at all!

Edited by chrisjpainter

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

This is just for personal use, so it might be worth a shot. B&Q also doing one with a set of drill bits right now for £100 - useful as I'm locked down at my girlfriend's house with nothing at all!

I’d definitely give it a try as it’s got warranty anyway. 

Hi,

I always say; ‘buy cheap buy twice’ so my advice would be to get the best you can afford.

I had several tools from Erbauer and they are good for light use or DIY however, if you are doing any heavy or regular work go with DeWalt or Mikita.

One thing to bare in mind with Etbauer is that the battery will probably go before the drill and it’s generally harder to get a replacement battery than it is for a DeWalt or Makita.

Enjoy...

• 4 weeks later...

On 28/04/2020 at 20:11, Marccus said:

I've never had a problem with the Bosch Professional (blue) range.  3 year guarantee and on offer at Screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-v-50-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-coolpack-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/369hg

I think that will be where I go next - if the same thing happens. I loved the battery length on the Erbauer, so I've gone for a replacement on the off chance that it was just an unlucky hit (every manufacturer has some, after all!). We shall see. Sadly though I don't have much to really test it with - a few bolts on the kayak and that's about it. Time to find some jobs that need unnecessary masonry drilling...

33 minutes ago, JKD said:

What are you drilling into/through with 'it' ?

Nothing beyond normal domestic use; I'd say its most taxing enterprise would have been a 6mm masonry hole. It drills fine - within the remit of a 50Nm drill - but it's the chuck that's the problem. An awful grinding when you tighten up (either by hand or on the trigger) isn't good news; something's rubbing against something else and that's not healthy!

Before I go back to Bosch or a DeWalt, has anyone used Einhell? worth a look?

Edited by chrisjpainter

After years in the construction industry, I have power tools for different jobs - If I'm drilling into concrete / brick etc then I use a hammer drill, battery or corded, corded for longer periods.

Wood or metal I use a percussion or normal chucked drill, I have had these combi drills before and they do not like masonry or brick.

All my tools are either Bosch or Makita 18v lithium Ion or 110v corded because of site worked, they don't like 240v.

Never heard of Einhell however I hear Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Festool and Dewalt are the mainstream when buying quality tools, but do come as a premium.

Hope this helps.

35 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Nothing beyond normal domestic use; I'd say its most taxing enterprise would have been a 6mm masonry hole. It drills fine - within the remit of a 50Nm drill - but it's the chuck that's the problem. An awful grinding when you tighten up (either by hand or on the trigger) isn't good news; something's rubbing against something else and that's not healthy!

Before I go back to Bosch or a DeWalt, has anyone used Einhell? worth a look?

So the chuck issue is with Erbauer ? 

My story is the same as W-g above, only I've used Bosch drills almost exclusively over the last 30 years. Never had issues like you're experiencing. Bosch now do a great registry warranty.

I've tried other makes, that were on offer at the time I was looking, but never again. I'd personally go for a good well known make, with good warranty back-up, and buy from a reputable dealer,,,, basically one that won't hinder a repair/replacement if something does happen.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but,,,, I don't know what you are using, but a round-based drill bit isn't the best to use for masonry, hexagon-based are much better, in general battery drills that is. I now use the Bosch GBH18V-20 [SDS+] for all my masonry drilling tasks. Great all-round bit of kit, but I use mine a LOT !!!

Hope that's of some help 😉

57 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Nothing beyond normal domestic use; I'd say its most taxing enterprise would have been a 6mm masonry hole

That is what I consider the absolute limit of a cordless combi drill with a 'hammer' mode.  Even then, it can be slow, tough going in blockwork.

Better off using corded hammer drill, or if you have a lot of holes to do, stump up for an SDS drill with a metal gearbox.  I had the Argos special that cost less than £50 10 years ago, revelation compared to hammer drills.  Can do reasonably heavy duty demolition work too.

Honestly, if you're willing to spend north of a grand on a shotgun, you should in my opinion not cheap out on a drill.  I know which one gets used more.  Sadly.

Masonry......SDS everytime.  I use Makita 240 or 110V and DWalt 18V

general timber and steel then the above drills in rotary mode OR Dwalt 18V combo     (  Very Rarely I will drill the odd hole in masonry with the combo if I can't be bothered with a trip back to the Van)

i have a few el cheapo 'sacrificial drills' if I am working a dodgy theft prone. area. Nobody has nicked them yet, so the theory works! But you can't half tell the difference in quality

had an Evolution 4 function Combi SDS....chuck fell off within a week. Made a warranty claim. They were not bothered about having the old one back. Sent me a new one by return. It's acceptable but it ain't site proof

SDS isn't really an option as I'm looking for an all rounder. Whilst a few masonry holes have been done of late, the vast majority of it will be day-to-day wood/ plasterboard drilling, screwing and so forth - but that includes work on the yak, where space can be at a premium and one handed use essential.

Just a thought. there's a deal on a dewalt with 2x 4ah batteries for £150 at screwfix. I don't need two 4ah. The length of use would be overkill and the lighter weight of small batteries would be nice at times. If I got it, would anyone be interested in swapping 1 4ah battery for a 2ah (or even 1.5ah) + cash my way?

Edited by chrisjpainter

I'd recommendthe Titan SDS from screwfix. As others have said, where masonry, granite, metal and just generally heavy duty grunt is needed, the sds is great. Certainly tackle jobs I wouldn't want to knacker my cordless drill on. Think its £69 now. And comes with 22 piece accessory kit, including standard drill bit adaptor

I've got a Worx Combi and impact driver set. They're cheap and might not hold up to heavy work, but so far they've built a reasonable sized deck, fitted a bathroom (sink, bath brackets, toilet cistern, mirror, accessories) and mounted several shelves, TV brackets etc over the last year without an issue