Emigrating to the USA

bigbird

People who know me please keep this to yourselves as it’s not common knowledge that we’re considering this.

A job has come up in the USA that the OH is eminently qualified for and suited to. Obviously with things the way they are nothing will happen fast but we both fancy a move as do the majority of the kids. I’ve emigrated before with my parents as a kid and I think the experience has done me good.

Of course, all that apart and assuming he a) got the job which he hasn’t applied for yet and b) the Coronavirus pandemic gives over - what hurdles do we face I wonder re visas etc? I imagine the company could sponsor the hubby for his work but would I be able to work? (Would go stir crazy otherwise!) And the kids’ education ? Currently aged 13,15,16.

Is it worth bothering? We’re all desperate for a move away from where we are anyway.

Vague I know but makes a change thinking about anything other than the Coronavirus!

Any thoughts would be welcome and PLEASE anybody who knows me keep this to yourself!

Cheers xx

Ps could be some awesome dogs up for grabs 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by bigbird

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

What part of the US?  If you spouse is approved for a work visa then you will be also. 

South Carolina....

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Life is to be lived ... sure there would be a demand for ESP breeding and training  over there.. good luck BB

Thanks petal - got more ruddy cockers than springers at the mo 😂😂

Just now, Dave at kelton said:

Go for it. I am a great believer in only ever looking forward. It is the only part of life’s journey you can influence.  I always promised myself I would never regret the things I hadn’t done.

Thanks Dave, I’m the same xx

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

Oh that’s a nice state.  I’m in North Carolina I I have thought about moving south.  The taxes are cheap and people are friendly.  There are a few parts that have the urban problems but it’s a nice overall. 

Oh are you?!? Wow that’s amazing to

find somebody so close to there (in USA terms 😂) Do they have Gundog trials out there?

Hi Alison,

My mate Steve did this 2 years ago, moved to Texas, Fort Worth, the only downside was that after a year he was made redundant, no warning just told that morning you are no longer needed. He managed to get another job quite quickly thankfully, his kids are in junior education, his wife keeps getting dragged in because the youngest Theo keeps pledging allegiance to Norway for some odd reason, they take it quite seriously there. but they have said they won't ever come to live back here, just visit relatives. Also a few years ago I spoke to a dog trainer here who exports spaniels he trains for drug, cash, explosives etc to the states and Canada, just a thought for something you could do maybe. All the best whatever you decide.

Edited by scobydog

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

South Carolina....

😂😂

South Carolina is beautiful, very oldy worldy  American, like going back into a retro movie. People still wear boots and cowboy hats

but, and its a big but, you have to realise you are going back in time by 50 years in terms of attitudes, its very different. Quaint for a holiday, but I would find it wearing. 

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

If you go you will need a bigger gun cabinet, just look at   no body at homes   one, as said you don't want to look back and wished you had gone 

As an alien you are not allowed to own guns in USA, its a Federal offence.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Oh are you?!? Wow that’s amazing to

find somebody so close to there (in USA terms 😂) Do they have Gundog trials out there?

People run dogs but I’m don’t know of any competitions. But that’s not my think so I really wouldn’t know.  Im actually on the border between NC and SC in Charlotte. 

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

People run dogs but I’m don’t know of any competitions. But that’s not my think so I really wouldn’t know.  Im actually on the border between NC and SC in Charlotte. 

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I've been to Charlotte, my friend Steve used to live there when he first went to USA about 35 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

South Carolina is beautiful, very oldy worldy  American, like going back into a retro movie. People still wear boots and cowboy hats

but, and its a big but, you have to realise you are going back in time by 50 years in terms of attitudes, its very different. Quaint for a holiday, but I would find it wearing. 

This is very true. Out of the city we don’t lock doors, we take our hats off for funeral lines, you never turn away a guest and always offer food.   Elders are respected, youngsters will get whipped when out of line, and you don’t cuss in public.   If you see your neighbor working on a project you always give a hand, and never charge interest on a loan. 

2 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

If you go you will need a bigger gun cabinet, just look at   no body at homes   one, as said you don't want to look back and wished you had gone 

I think non-citizens have to spend something like 5 years and maybe get residency or citizenship before they can own a gun in America? 🤔 

Remember, isn’t the constitution for American Citizens? Not just anyone passing through? 

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Go for it, I spent a year in NY state (not city, quite different!) and had the time of my life.

We’re you able to own firearms?

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I've been to Charlotte, my friend Steve used to live there when he first went to USA about 35 years ago.

Small world

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think non-citizens have to spend something like 5 years and maybe get residency or citizenship before they can own a gun in America? 🤔 

Remember, isn’t the constitution for American Citizens? Not just anyone passing through? 

We’re you able to own firearms?

Copy paste straight from the law, you can buy the day you get a free card: A green card holder can purchase firearms and ammunition. ... However, legal permanent residents aka green card holders are not considered nonimmigrants under the ATF regulations. Green card holders are permitted to buy and purchase firearms and ammunition.

It's well worth looking into the education for your children. Depending on what part your going to, it can be poor.

Stopped a fella I know from going years ago, he was working out there, loved it and was offered a permanent position moving package the works. 

I hope it all works out for you all whichever you decide.

I moved every 5 years with Jobs (but only in the UK).  Every time I was single and got stuck into work 100% and loved every minute. Now I have a great life with everything and anything I could want or need. Along the way I have lost much of the close family connections and friends are dispersed to the winds. Life is great but the roots are missing. 

Edited by oowee

9 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Small world

Copy paste straight from the law, you can buy the day you get a free card: A green card holder can purchase firearms and ammunition. ... However, legal permanent residents aka green card holders are not considered nonimmigrants under the ATF regulations. Green card holders are permitted to buy and purchase firearms and ammunition.

I worked on and off for 8 years in the states, if you have a visa that allows you to work (must not be a green card) you can buy/possess firearms after being over there for three months, I did it a few times even brought them back to Uk afterwards.