Split face slate tiling and sockets.

markm

Looking for some  advice. My son has ordered split face grey slate to do a feature wall in his bedroom. There are 2 sockets on this wall, double electric and phone. looking for advice. I’ve tiled with these before but not involved switches. So -

1. Tile around these?

2. Tile under, selecting the flattest tiles?

3. Other suggestions?

The switches are right where I will start. One is butted against the wall (phone) and the next (double socket) about 100mm further out. I’ve seen suggestions on break apart off cuts to get similar thickness for that area, but it would mean breaking up new unused tiles. 

I’ve thought about not tiling around this area and then go back and do it when I have the off cuts. 

25 minutes ago, markm said:

Not sure. They haven’t arrived yet. 

here, it seems to be 10mm

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/juno-black-stone-split-face-tiles-180-x-350mm

hello, there are some at 6mm ? these should work ok with longer M 3.5 screws, would look more tidy with the tiles under the front face plate

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Tile under NOT around

if they are 'feature / designer sockets ' ( I hate that expression, designer, everything has been designed!) anyway

get yourself a pack of these as you wont get'   long fancy iridium plated satin brass nickel black screws' but you can just screw these together then fit your screw to the front.   It's one of the electrical worlds best kept secrets

https://www.toolstation.com/extension-stud/p79641

just saying

I've got some extra long socket screws iirc 60mm or 75mm long, if you need any pm me the amount I'll post you some.

Always socket face over the tile, anything else looks awful.

Depending on how much time and trouble you want to go to, you could lay out the tile under the socket, scribe it and grind the tile flat to a even thickness for the socket to recess the high points.

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Always socket face over the tile, anything else looks awful.

Depending on how much time and trouble you want to go to, you could lay out the tile under the socket, scribe it and grind the tile flat to a even thickness for the socket to recess the high points.

That's what I ment but you have described it better! Thanks

Move sockets to adjacent wall?

Majority of chases would be tiled over and your only moving approx 200mm. 

Edit: assuming bedroom is 1st floor in which case no chasing just a floor board to lift. 

Edited by Pumpkin