Dust settling in new shotgun finish

Steve_Kay

Morning all. 

A few of you may have seen my post last month about the 682 Gold E I'm refinshing. I'm on my final few coats now but no matter how careful I try to be, dust and small bits always seem to settle on the finish as it's drying. I then need to lightly sand them out before repeating the process again. Any suggestions on the best way of preventing dust settling on the stock while it dries? 

Thanks for the reply Mad. I'm storing it in a spare bedroom at the minute. It's unused by anyone other than me so the door isn't being opened constantly and dust being disturbed. I could try storing it in a wardrobe to minimise dust. Not sure how effective it would be but worth a shot.  

What I do is once I've finished with the sanding and getting ready for the finish, I have a plant sprayer filled with water, I have it on fine mist and spray it everywhere. Obviously not near what I am working on. The mist grabs the dust out of the air and takes it to the floor, I find it works for me.

I less it lots don't worry about it, it buffs out at the end.

My sxs stock I've re oiled has it near the butt about last two inches all around from it falling out the air. I waited untill finish hardened and buffed out with rottenstone. I make sure no lint or dust is in the oil finish after hand oiling and wiping off the excess.  The dust that clings is only on the very surface not withing the finish.

Thanks for the replies gents. Mine seems to be bits of lint etc. Only very small mind but still annoying. Having to sand it off then apply the new coat (for it then to happen again) is getting quite tiresome. I'm hand rubbing it in so I'm not quite sure why it's happening. I'll try moving it to another location and see what happens 

2 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Yes if using it to fill the grain but this stock is well beyond that.  Let the finish harden fully then buff with a slurry of water and rottenstone 

Thanks for that. For the slightly larger bits stick in the finish, I take it I'll just need to go over the holes in the finish with oil once the rottenstone removes it?

2 hours ago, Steve_Kay said:

Thanks for that. For the slightly larger bits stick in the finish, I take it I'll just need to go over the holes in the finish with oil once the rottenstone removes it?

It serves two purposes it fills the bits in the grain that have tiny holes for want of a better word , but with water it like using the finest sand paper  even finer than sand paper less damage .to give then perfect finish , Daff ( welshworrior ) know his stuff .