Help required. Builders or Plumbers

Grandalf

Left shower tap slightly on the other day.   Water was running down the tiles into the shower tray.   Left like that for over twenty four hours.   Water leak marks on ceiling below.   Leak in the tile grouting somewhere?   Can't see anything obvious.   Is there some 'gunk' that I can spray or paint on to the tiles and grouting to stop the leak?

Thanks for reading

Ben 

Thinking about this abit more.. was the water dripping out of the head or running down the wall? If it was running down the wall above the shower valve then its probably leaked through where the valve is, where the pipes pass through the wall. If it's a bar shower screw the shrouds forward and pump silicone behind them and screw them back 

hello, i would not think the shower water is getting through the wall tiles behind where the shower head is connected, the water marks on the ceiling below should indicate a rough idea where the leaks coming from ? more like around the shower tray or outflow and pipe work, is it a solid wall behind the shower head ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

14 hours ago, Rob525 said:

Thinking about this abit more.. was the water dripping out of the head or running down the wall? If it was running down the wall above the shower valve then its probably leaked through where the valve is, where the pipes pass through the wall. If it's a bar shower screw the shrouds forward and pump silicone behind them and screw them back 

Rob525 and others, The shower head was 'parked' up against the tiled wall.   It was running very, very, slowly for over 24 hours.   Down the wall into the tray.   Two stain marks on the ceiling below.  A large one that seems to be under the tray and a small one along the line of the inlet hot and cold pipes.   Directly beneath the parked shower head is a horizontal grab rail fixing.   (Disabled wife).   Guy who put the rails in for me drilled through the tiles.   The cap over the fixing seems really tight but I suspect, after reading the post above, that the water went out through there.   I will check that cap again and all the silicone seals.   Possible silicone around that cap as well.   Thanks for all the advice.

For the time being I have suspended a plastic curtain down that wall to ensure water goes down that and into the tray.  We are in lockdown and I have to keep this shower working if possible as wife cannot use the main bathroom due her disabilities.   Don't want to get a bloke in unless I have to for obvious reasons.

Thanks again.

Ben 

From experience it could be.

1,tiles cracked,not likely .

2,grout cracked,very likely .take out joints and grout again.

3,sealant join,as likely as 2 and could be 2 and 3.cut out with Stanley knife ALL silicone and dry area then apply new silicone.

4,waste out let,not likely or would of noticed before now.

5,enclosure /door,likely,as number 3.

6,fixings,likely,info and deal behind and refix.

Have had all these over the years where bathrooms not fitted correctly or just lack of maintenance .

Lots of grout are not shower proof, also having water running constantly could lead to water ingress just like with house bricks.

Check the waste pipe isn't at fault.

I use lithofin grout sealer every six months, I did use a power shower proof grout and it still gets soaking wet when ready for resealing.  

Like most things what we expect from the blurb on them isn't what we actually get.  Bit like waterproof material, it's only waterproof for a certain time under certain conditions.

Only once have I had what I'd call fully waterproof grout, it was like resin and took me two days to fully clean the sodding stuff off the tile faces.

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by figgy