Folding knives

walshie

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

4th from the left   Is that a Lambsfoot ??  My Grandfather gave me one for my birthday ...I think my 7th or 8th and I still have the scars from it closing on my fingers. It manufactured

numerous catty forks, bows and arrows and spears in the following years.

It is, unless i am orribly mistaken a Taylor's Eye Witness Lambsfoot. I got mine 51 years ago, also from Grandfather. I wonder how many lambtails mine has cut? Many many thousands! (In South Africa). Still my favourite for eating biltong in front of the tv.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some old ones, all come down from family

D106A935-55E0-46F6-935E-955C1238F57F_1_105_c.jpeg

Two horn Opinels and a Gerber Paul

F690C116-50FF-4F87-8BA7-77E14A15C78A_1_105_c.jpeg

And a few more modern; the 'camping' Swiss army style was given to me over 50 years ago.  The three on the left are "Paul Pohlman" type knives which use a clever hinge

0E24697B-EF20-44CE-94CD-EAD5FE501769_1_105_c.jpeg

Finally a rather large one; the Wenger 'Giant' I think it is called.  Totally useless, but rather a collectable.

6D55D214-D5F4-4274-8FFF-70C75903B549_1_105_c.jpeg

E469648B-857A-48CA-B0D0-A145B55D22C1_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK
Edited to remove duplicate image

I've never understood how we, as vetted licenced and considered to be safe enough to own, possess and carry in public, firearms which have the potential to take down pretty much any living soul on this planet cannot have a knife or knives of our choice even if to do so they are included on our certificates in much the same way as a moderator for example. Shame as there are some exceedingly pretty and useful tools available which are locked away never to really be admired or appreciated like they deserve to be.

23 minutes ago, sandsie1 said:

I've never understood how we, as vetted licenced and considered to be safe enough to own, possess and carry in public, firearms which have the potential to take down pretty much any living soul on this planet cannot have a knife or knives of our choice even if to do so they are included on our certificates in much the same way as a moderator for example. Shame as there are some exceedingly pretty and useful tools available which are locked away never to really be admired or appreciated like they deserve to be.

I think it is just 'too much effort' for 'the system'.  The other issue is that whereas firearms are (almost) always serial numbered and readily identifiable - knives generally are not.  Then if you lost one - you would have to go through the rigmarole of having it removed from your ticket etc.  I don't see how it could be practically and economically 'workable'.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

John,

On the right of your second display selection is it a Littleton Original No 1?

The stainless one to the right of the one with the corkscrew?  If so - it is a Puma (don't know the model).  There is a story to that one; I was given it for 18th, 21st or something and it has my initials on the other side.  Having carried it for some years I lost it .......... and they were no longer made (in Germany) - so I bought a Puma supplied far eastern copy that is actually very good - and had it identically engraved.  The original then (several years later) turned up ......... down the back of the sofa!  That is the German original; the far eastern copy is hard to tell apart.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The stainless one to the right of the one with the corkscrew?  If so - it is a Puma (don't know the model).  There is a story to that one; I was given it for 18th, 21st or something and it has my initials on the other side.  Having carried it for some years I lost it .......... and they were no longer made (in Germany) - so I bought a Puma supplied far eastern copy that is actually very good - and had it identically engraved.  The original then (several years later) turned up ......... down the back of the sofa!  That is the German original; the far eastern copy is hard to tell apart.

Cheers, John. I couldn't quite see if the light was disguising the brass. If you Google my model name putting a 'Col.' in front of it, you'll see where he got the idea from.

19 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Cheers, John. I couldn't quite see if the light was disguising the brass. If you Google my model name putting a 'Col.' in front of it, you'll see where he got the idea from.

Looking up your reference They are very similar - but my two are stainless.  I have in fact shown the back, but the front has my initials, so I have 'blurred' them out.  Both are by Puma, and on the right is the German original which has on the blade "Puma 4 Star" and by the hinge (but still on the blade "Puma Germany Stainless".  The scale rivets are visible and the brass Puma logo has had to be glued back in place.  It is serial numbered on the release button.  On the left is the later Chinese version.  On the blade it says "Puma 4 Star mini 280730  Stainless 106/RC" and by the hinge "China".  The scale rivets are not visible without a magnifier.  It is very well made.

It looks like the one is still in production, but now marked Germany!  https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Puma-4-Star-Mini-Stainless-German-Made-Folding-Pocket-Knife-P37.aspx

6BE93A62-FDD0-482E-9102-6FB16FADE83F_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looking up your reference They are very similar - but my two are stainless.  I have in fact shown the back, but the front has my initials, so I have 'blurred' them out.  Both are by Puma, and on the right is the German original which has on the blade "Puma 4 Star" and by the hinge (but still on the blade "Puma Germany Stainless".  The scale rivets are visible and the brass Puma logo has had to be glued back in place.  It is serial numbered on the release button.  On the left is the later Chinese version.  On the blade it says "Puma 4 Star mini 280730  Stainless 106/RC" and by the hinge "China".  The scale rivets are not visible without a magnifier.  It is very well made.

6BE93A62-FDD0-482E-9102-6FB16FADE83F_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a Puma Duke - my second one. I think I made a mistake. With a lifetime warranty I asked if they would replace the blade as the pointy bit was sticking out of the bolsters. I didn't  talk to Puma themselves but a main UK dealer and as asked, I sent it off to them. I was surprised when they said that they'd have the knife replaced. Belatedly, I now know what everyone else already did to fix that problem and is what I should have done. The replacement item was not quite up to the mark and has no serial number. Someone has a collectors item.

11 hours ago, 39TDS said:

A SAK SS Farmer Alox

RR money clip

Robert David Laguiole

The top one is legal in public

Victorinox Farmer Alox in silver - 0.8241.26

Rough Rider Money Clip Knife | Heinnie Haynes

9323.jpg

Sorry about the size 😳

Love the look of the bottom one. 

Edited by walshie

On 08/04/2020 at 21:08, Diver One said:

Snap!.......got mine from my Step Nan 43 years ago,for my 21st. I remember her saying "it's not much but sometimes a small blade is handy"

My shooting partner has a very nice little Boka? Damascus folder....wasn't cheap though

I love Boker knives!

13 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Brill, thanks, on back order so something to look forward to!

13 hours ago, walshie said:

I love my laguiole... cheaper in uk than in France too somehow..

14 hours ago, walshie said:

Me too. That's the thing about knives for me, the look, the feel and the funcionality of them.

It's a terrible shame they have so much negativity attached to them by some. Just the craftmanship in many of them is astounding. Mine are mostly cheapish Rough Rider knives but that one cost a bit more.

I regularly look through Hennie website and think ooh that's nice, and then see the price and think maybe not that nice. :D

14 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'll happily post it for you, if you want to email it over. I'll PM my email address if you do.

It may just need resizing.

Many thanks. I've done it before, but it just seems to post the code for some reason, rather than the image. I'll maybe give it another go later. Thanks again. 👍

4 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I had to resize it, hopefully it is still OK

3102020194118.jpg.a5257983152baabeebef630d37649e94.jpg

You’re a star NTT! Have no idea what I’m doing wrong! 
This is my collection, thanks to Newbie to This for helping out.  There should be three little Sheffield folders, but can only find one. 
Not as large a collection as others, so I’m obviously not as big a knife nut as I thought. There is also a multi tool absent, which is in my vehicle. 
The top right is my everyday knife nowadays, as it’s UK legal ( I can’t believe we ever got to this stage because some empty heads like to stab each other! ) and prior to that I carried a small lock-knife. There is one Victorinex and two German copies by Wenger.

The bottom right Schrade is my favourite sheath knife; just a gorgeous little tactile thing of beauty. 
Bottom left is a big ugly Damascus bladed monstrosity which has no practical purposes at all unless you’re into pig sticking!