Folding knives

walshie

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

That little Schrade IS nice

I have a Schrade lock knife given to me by a (now departed) American friend in the late ‘80’s. I use it for most of my stalking.

Thanks. They are quality knives and always keep a good edge, as you’ll know. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my collection includes a sheath knife bought for my father when I was in Hemer with  BAOR and the drop point schrade fixed blade he bought me ( looks like the same model Scully has )4 knives of Alaska knives,Puma White hunter ,Buck 101 and a cheap copy ,a couple of leatherman Waves, an orange buck twin blade, a black benchmade knife with orange paracord attached so that it doesn’t get lost and a couple of knives I got at Berettas Val Trompia shop one a multi tool the other lock back with olive wood grips and finally the buck/ cabelas filleting knife. The horn handled boot knife was given to me by a vendor at a cowboy action shoot in America who felt sorry that I was unable to own a handgun for self protection, it’s  led quite a boring life in a drawer

EB25C6B9-4208-479A-ABA7-83ECB324B816.jpeg

Edited by Konor
Addition

54 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Some nice knives. I keep looking for a legal carry for about £40. Recommendations welcome.

It is hard to recommend - as it is so much a personal choice.  Lots of lovely examples at Heinne Haynes https://www.heinnie.com/  who do a superb service (but may not be the cheapest source).  They make clear what is UK legal carry and have a selection of UK carry only knives in a range of prices.  I note that they now carry UK legal versions of Opinel knives https://www.heinnie.com/opinel-carbon-steel-non-locking  which are very good knives (the carbon steel takes a great edge, the INOX is stainless - but in my experience takes a slightly less good edge) at a sensible price.

Edited by JohnfromUK

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, why do they call it a Manly Wasp ?

It's nothing to do with being manly, it's to do with the company being called Manly. They're Bulgarian. The model is the Wasp.

Edited by walshie

On 11/04/2020 at 11:18, JTaylor91 said:

Some nice knives. I keep looking for a legal carry for about £40. Recommendations welcome.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-boker-magnum-ebony-rangebuster-damascus-01ry140dam-gentleman-s-knife.htm

Something like this, perhaps. I have the "Lady" version but it's a lock-knife so not EDC.

Or this one. (These are currently out ofstock but this mob are very good at letting you know when their order has been met.) My only EDC is a tad bulky so was after something smaller and this fits the bill so am waiting.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/a-wright--son-barlow-edc-pocket-knife---buffalo-horn-28087-p.asp

4 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Feeling a bit left out so here'y contribution lol nothing I can see stamped on it apart from Sheffield, will try and give it a little clean up at some point and attempt to give it an edge again.

IMG-20200412-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200412-WA0007.jpg

Had one of those back in the 50s

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-boker-magnum-ebony-rangebuster-damascus-01ry140dam-gentleman-s-knife.htm

Something like this, perhaps. I have the "Lady" version but it's a lock-knife so not EDC.

Had one of those back in the 50s

Like the other I found it was my great grandads so that would put it in the same time frame. Can't think where the other picture is now.

Edit, knew it was lurking somewhere.

Screenshot_20200206-144517.png.bbdc4bf1898d153a5cd996fe5f72f2f2.png

Edited by Farmboy91

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Is that a pruning knife? I have a similar designed knife in my collection, only with bone scales. 

When I posted it before I think that was the general consensus, the two I have are similar apart from the brass on the end. 

11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

My lot:

002.jpg

I shouldn't look at pictures like that, I haven't got enough room for all the toot Ive got already 😂

Nice collection though 👍 Ive got a very similar to the plain silver, 5th one down on the right. 

5 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

When I posted it before I think that was the general consensus, the two I have are similar apart from the brass on the end. 

I shouldn't look at pictures like that, I haven't got enough room for all the toot Ive got already 😂

Nice collection though 👍 Ive got a very similar to the plain silver, 5th one down on the right. 

Cheers,

It's a cheap and cheerful Whitby "Foreign" import.

The one above it is my favourite. By JYC in Sheffield and hallmarked 1904

20 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Cheers,

It's a cheap and cheerful Whitby "Foreign" import.

The one above it is my favourite. By JYC in Sheffield and hallmarked 1904

I shall have to have a proper look over it to see if there are any markings. I did come across a bag of cutlery, can't remember the makers name but I'm sure it was stamped Ipswich and Yarmouth so they were fairly local. Got the feeling they were the great grandparents 'best set'.

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

I shall have to have a proper look over it to see if there are any markings.

'Makers Marks' as they were known are usually applied adjacent to the hallmark on silver (and gold, platinum) items.  Traditionally, you looked them up in a large expensive book called "Jackson's Silver and Gold Marks".  Nowadays, Google finds more, more easily, much more quickly and much less expensively!

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

'Makers Marks' as they were known are usually applied adjacent to the hallmark on silver (and gold, platinum) items.  Traditionally, you looked them up in a large expensive book called "Jackson's Silver and Gold Marks".  Nowadays, Google finds more, more easily, much more quickly and much less expensively!

Thank you, I'll give it a good look over and report back.

I gave my son my Otter stag HH 166 and the only other EDC for practical use that I have is a bit too bulky as was the Otter really and was going to have a look at this:

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/a-wright--son-barlow-edc-pocket-knife---buffalo-horn-28087-p.asp

But I've now got one of these on the way:

Whitby SlipJoint Non Locking Knife w/ Drop Point Blade (2.25")

Cheap and cheerful but doesn't look too bad and looks like a penknife

Lovely collections Gentlemen, not really my thing, I have a Leatherman, A 3" Spiderco folder and a folding Stanley blade holder, all plenty sharp enough to slice my fingers every now and then!

Anyway the point of posting here, while clearing out my garage I came across an old box of tools that were my Grandads, mainly hammers imperial spanners, cold chisels etc. All stuff that I may use. At the bottom of the box was the folder pictured below, half a can of plus gas got it open and yes it is **** sharp I managed to nick myself!

It is stamped DEUTSCHES ARMEEMESSER on the long hook and D.R.G.M. (looks like) on the short squared hook. there is another mark on the short blade that looks like two stylised men with linked arms. I am guessing it has something to do with horses with the spikes etc. It is a bit damaged/well used but the rivets are all solid and every thing is there. The scales (horn I guess) are both damaged with a piece missing either side. It weighs about 6.5 oz. , the body is 100mm long. I have no idea of its provenance or where Grandad got it.

If it is worth restoring, I am happy to send it FOC to anyone who would wish to add it to their collection, if it has any value then a donation to your favourite charity would be in order. I recall that Ditchman restored a folder recently to a brilliant standard

1261162056_germanknife(2).JPG.416c2acc9558138675cf4d709d8bf335.JPG2118937641_germanknife(1).JPG.f05ac6666f6d2e02b8e89b1ba629706a.JPG48726427_germanknife(3).JPG.a8f85c03251c6c8a82cc73764dd8fcf2.JPG92525739_germanknife(4).JPG.20b4e8976b68138acf3e43b9931b261b.JPG972396242_germanknife(5).JPG.e9a614c59cb5e898bf3dcc4656eeccad.JPG

Just PM your address and I will stick it in the post next time I'm at the post office

Edited by impala59