Folding knives

walshie

43 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Lovely collections Gentlemen, not really my thing, I have a Leatherman, A 3" Spiderco folder and a folding Stanley blade holder, all plenty sharp enough to slice my fingers every now and then!

Anyway the point of posting here, while clearing out my garage I came across an old box of tools that were my Grandads, mainly hammers imperial spanners, cold chisels etc. All stuff that I may use. At the bottom of the box was the folder pictured below, half a can of plus gas got it open and yes it is **** sharp I managed to nick myself!

It is stamped DEUTSCHES ARMEEMESSER on the long hook and D.R.G.M. (looks like) on the short squared hook. there is another mark on the short blade that looks like two stylised men with linked arms. I am guessing it has something to do with horses with the spikes etc. It is a bit damaged/well used but the rivets are all solid and every thing is there. The scales (horn I guess) are both damaged with a piece missing either side. It weighs about 6.5 oz. , the body is 100mm long. I have no idea of its provenance or where Grandad got it.

If it is worth restoring, I am happy to send it FOC to anyone who would wish to add it to their collection, if it has any value then a donation to your favourite charity would be in order. I recall that Ditchman restored a folder recently to a brilliant standard

1261162056_germanknife(2).JPG.416c2acc9558138675cf4d709d8bf335.JPG2118937641_germanknife(1).JPG.f05ac6666f6d2e02b8e89b1ba629706a.JPG48726427_germanknife(3).JPG.a8f85c03251c6c8a82cc73764dd8fcf2.JPG92525739_germanknife(4).JPG.20b4e8976b68138acf3e43b9931b261b.JPG972396242_germanknife(5).JPG.e9a614c59cb5e898bf3dcc4656eeccad.JPG

Just PM your address and I will stick it in the post next time I'm at the post office

Very nice, I like looking at items like that and thinking it had a proper working life. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I'm sure @Scully will do it justice 👍

Thankyou. To be honest I'm always on the lookout for unrestored items of interest to feature in my still life artwork ( nostalgia and collectibles are always popular ) so if anyone else is interested in this knife when I've finished painting it, let me know and I'll send it on. It wont be immediately as I have a few bits of work on the go at the moment, but I wont forget. 👍

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thankyou. To be honest I'm always on the lookout for unrestored items of interest to feature in my still life artwork ( nostalgia and collectibles are always popular ) so if anyone else is interested in this knife when I've finished painting it, let me know and I'll send it on. It wont be immediately as I have a few bits of work on the go at the moment, but I wont forget. 👍

PW at its best there. 

Is there anything else your looking for particularly? 

49 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

PW at its best there. 

Is there anything else your looking for particularly? 

Nothing in particular really, it just depends on what catches my eye, from a crushed drinks can or a bottle top embedded in the tarmac, an old chipped enamelled jug or literally anything. OH and I have a house full of tat; she is an artist also, and we’re both hoarders of all manner of things. There isn’t much dusting gets done! 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Nothing in particular really, it just depends on what catches my eye, from a crushed drinks can or a bottle top embedded in the tarmac, an old chipped enamelled jug or literally anything. OH and I have a house full of tat; she is an artist also, and we’re both hoarders of all manner of things. There isn’t much dusting gets done! 

Ahh ok, just thought I'd ask as there's a fair bit of the above in the garage, and the spare room 😂 we have an auction in the village 4/5 times a year that sometimes yields interesting bits. 

7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Ahh ok, just thought I'd ask as there's a fair bit of the above in the garage, and the spare room 😂 we have an auction in the village 4/5 times a year that sometimes yields interesting bits. 

Thanks for the thought anyhow; old tools are very popular, but are bulky and I already have too many! 
😳

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks for the thought anyhow; old tools are very popular, but are bulky and I already have too many! 
😳

No worries 👍

I prefer working with old tools if I can, got a few rasps and chisels that are of a far far better quality than any of the new stuff I have. 

Got plenty of imperial spanners but no imperial nuts or bolts haha.

I don't have a huge collection for all the activities on this world - EDC/hunting/bushcrafting/skinning and so on...

But I have my trusty Buck 110 Hunter that works perfect for about 20 years or so.

https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-8-folding-buck-knives/ - they lost some of  their reputation when moved part of manufacturing in China, but you can simply Google out what Buck models still being made in the US, and they are about 80%.

buck 110 - 1.jpg

On 14/04/2020 at 16:33, arjimlad said:

My current EDC is a Kershaw Pub. It's been very useful, and I especially like the bottle opener. The anodising on the scale is a tad worn now. 

It seems to hold an edge very well. I keep looking at my old style folders but they don't have that all-important bottle opener !

https://www.heinnie.com/kershaw-pub 

Cheers ! 🍻IMG_20200330_171432533.jpg.02c5e3396a97aa1ac151c120222c6b07.jpg

Been looking at these.

How do you rate them.The reviews seem good,but would value your opinion.

6 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Been looking at these.

How do you rate them.The reviews seem good,but would value your opinion.

It's been my EDC since October 2018 and I am very happy with it. Keep picking up my old folders but putting them down again in favour of this. Really good little knife.  

5 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

What are the knife laws just out of curiosity? 

UK knife law allows you to carry non-locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches (7.62 cm) without any need for a valid reason.

You are allowed to carry a knife which exceeds these guidelines in public, but please remember: you then do need a good reason to carry it.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

UK knife law allows you to carry non-locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches (7.62 cm) without any need for a valid reason.

You are allowed to carry a knife which exceeds these guidelines in public, but please remember: you then do need a good reason to carry it.

Also, even though you are able to carry shorter non lockers, they may still do you for it if you have it at a football match or nightclub etc.

And when you have a valid reason ie going shooting, you still need to take it off your belt/out of your pocket when filling up with fuel or going shopping on the way home. And they probably wouldn’t like it say in the passenger seat either. Of course it probably depends where you live, the level of knife crime, how used to seeing knives the copper is, and what mood they are in....

During lockdown I have been spending a lot of time sorting out my garage/workshop. Built in 1926 we moved in 1980. There s a toilet in there with a flat roof on it. Yesterday I had a look on top,for something I put there decades ago and I fond an old Gladstone Bag wedged down in the eaves. I found these in it and they are both sharp enough to have given me a couple of cuts

F7F3FD12-D6C1-4945-AA7E-41C2F1FF8630.JPG.5005bae2ce90e4caa722d939e28bf268.JPGC8F3EE55-46CA-425B-A3E7-6A00F93C37E8.JPG.ea1b76e6ba36547d0502ab1afebdaa1a.JPGA50686FC-FA29-4D92-8EDE-5601DDCA197D.JPG.7bf7a182a6003c1fd90dd4e69db758e2.JPG9125E7A7-5E91-474B-BE5B-231ABDAB0B8E.JPG.4704359ae1b2d7a72105372f87fdf15c.JPG7A78E562-7B85-48BA-9636-272A94316865.JPG.e99a920f2209dc3a727163425ad0c69e.JPG

Richards of Sheffield for the Sheriff one AND apparently it did originally come with a badge

Must have been there when we moved in. Also found instruction book for a Ford 8 in there last week

On 26/04/2020 at 00:54, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting.  Over here every state is different but in NC we can’t conceal any blade over 4.5 inches on our body.  Blades shorter then 4.5 is legal.  It’s not inforced though unless your arrested for something else.   Legally we can walk around with a sword but the second we try to conceal it we broke the law.  9/11 gave us many stupid laws.  Luckily the court has to prove you intentionally concealed it.  A while back a guy had a dagger on his side and got busted because his coat covered it up.  He was arrested for selling drugs. The court ruled that to be concealed the carrier must take steps to hide it and a coat wasn’t worn to hide.  Court also ruled that a pocket book was not considered on your body also.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

6 hours ago, Robertt said:

This is my total collection. 

Used to use the boot knife on deer  but don't stalk now.

Razorlite for when I'm shooting / fishing and the 40's military knife lives in my pocket for everday usage.

20200429_105943.jpg

I`m surprised that no-one`s shown a picture of what I know as a Jack knife, a bit similar to the bottom one above, but with a marlin spike. Got one lurking in the shed somewhere, will have to dig it out.