Folding knives

walshie

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L-R

- Victorinox Cadet (2018 limited edition scales)

- Random French knife, bought at a farmer’s market in Normandy. Used for picnic use mostly. 

- Boker Plus Tech Tool 1; glow in dark scales, used when lamping rabbits so I don’t lose the damned thing when paunching. 

- Victorinox Huntsman, goes everywhere with me  

- Gerber AR3.0; found in the woods 10yrs ago, now lives  clipper to my game bag  

- Victorinox Hunter; great knife, lives in stalking belt kit as a backup. 

- Mora Necker; handled by myself in mahogany, used as my main gralloching knife. 

- Lionsteel M5; absolute beast! 

There’s a Whitby folder & a Mora in the truck somewhere too. 

16D9E96A-ACCD-4907-8915-8CB7C8A9ED2E.jpeg

On 28/04/2020 at 20:29, DUNKS said:

My Roy Rogers knife. Never used kept in box. Well built knife really and very sharp. Scales are real bone taken from the leg of Trigger. "And if you believe that"!!!

PENKNIFE CART BELT 009.JPG

Love that. 

That is my kind of knife

Edited by 39TDS

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2020 at 17:35, Old Boggy said:

I`m surprised that no-one`s shown a picture of what I know as a Jack knife, a bit similar to the bottom one above, but with a marlin spike. Got one lurking in the shed somewhere, will have to dig it out.

Funny you should have said that. Am storing some kit for step-son which meant that I couldn't get to some of my tools. No problem at first but have just had to move the kit elsewhwere because it became one. Hanging on a redundant nail on the shadow board was this. It'd not mine so the lad must have put it there. This one has the screwdriver and is by Rodgers.

EDIT: Made a mistake with the photo, the other side has the (vacant) name strip.

Jack-Knife.jpg

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Funny you should have said that. Am storing some kit for step-son which meant that I couldn't get to some of my tools. No problem at first but have just had to move the kit elsewhwere because it becamw one. Hanging on a redundant nail on the shadow board was this. It'd not mine so the lad must have put it there. This one has the screwdriver and is by Rodgers.

Jack-Knife.jpg

Perfect for getting Boy Scouts out of horses hooves 😂

The ones that I remember always had black handles, but very similar to that one.

OB

This knife belonged to my grandfather and is marked "Jacobs and Co. Sheffield) on the blade. I'm quite happy to clean it up, but there's a bit missing. Is any clever soul on here capable of repairing the knife or making a new bit for it? It's the bit of metal covering the blade pivot.

20200510_141707.jpg.391d458fdcd2077051a96d69935e1986.jpg

20200510_141714.jpg.b30080e9a2ea87a1c6a0cc2bb6628e32.jpg

15 minutes ago, walshie said:

Like this one?

20200510_141015.jpg.4f0ef46e231f3c3cb5027077e28a8349.jpg

The army version was in black and the RN, the grey.

Walshie,

You wouldn't like to do yourself a favour? Have a look at the shackle on the one I posted and then yours. Then look closer at yours which is smaller and if necessary scratch it or a very small nick with a file.

EDIT: Ah! Your later photo is better, I think I have the answer.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The army version was in black and the RN, the grey.

Walshie,

You wouldn't like to do yourself a favour? Have a look at the shackle on the one I posted and then yours. Then look closer at yours which is smaller and if necessary scratch it or a very small nick with a file.

Seems to be copper.

9 minutes ago, walshie said:

Seems to be copper.

See the edit on my previous post. Yep, copper. That one is pre-war. Post war copper was needed elsewhere so they were changed to steel. Useless info to that effect - the war ended and there were mile upon mile of HT leads made but no need to make the kit in which they were made to go. Now you know why your HT leads are bits of carbon string and not copper as pre-war on mass produced vehicles - the motor manufacturers bought the string up cheap. Back to reality, the knives were issued in the RN until1983.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

See the edit on my previous post. Yep, copper. That one is pre-war. Post war copper was needed elsewhere so they were changed to steel. Useless info to that effect - the war ended and there were mile upon mile of HT leads made but no need to make the kit in which they were made to go. Now you know why your HT leads are bits of carbon string and not copper as pre-war on mass produced vehicles - the motor manufacturers bought the string up cheap.

Interesting stuff. I'll read up a bit more about if I can. 

12 minutes ago, walshie said:

Interesting stuff. I'll read up a bit more about if I can. 

If you do, see if you can find out why the RN version had the name plate - there must be a reason. I can think of two - one because the knife would/could remain attached to you with the lanyard and the other because I was an aircraft technician, but can't find out for certain.

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Perfect for getting Boy Scouts out of horses hooves 😂

The ones that I remember always had black handles, but very similar to that one.

OB

I had one of them round my waist all of my ten years in the RN. 1951 to 1962  Never did know what happened to it.