Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pigeon controller

Modern fridge technology

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm a member of the old school of refrigeration " compresor " type. I have three modern new type fridges that I have in the garage to use as chillers . 

In the cold weather they do not seem to work and the birds degrade. In the current hot weather they are set on the lowest setting and freeze the contents.

is there an easy compromise on how I can resolve this situation, help please.

Is it feasible to have a timer on the plug and switch on and off to secure a balance??

Edited by pigeon controller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you find the operating manual that goes with the fridge(s) and see if they state a recommended working ambient temperature range?

I'm not so clued up on refrigeration technology, what's the system they use if not using a compressor?  If there's still a process of condensing the refrigerant that needs to happen, there may be issues with the temperature differential...ironically it might be necessary to have some sort of heat source near them?!  Take one of them indoors and run it for a day or so to see if it changes the fridge's behaviour.

If you can get the fridges to work on maximum setting out in the garage, a digital temperature controller might help to regulate temperature:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STC-1000-Electronic-Digital-Display-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Tools-UK/293496931446?hash=item4455c7c476:m:m7lTA96kTPo-Z7m6YOtB0Pw

Set the fridge controls to maximum (coldest) and let the controller do the rest.

I believe we had a conversation about something similar a while back, for your freezers, to convert them to fridges when needed - the offer still stands if you'd like me to translate the wiring diagram!  The instructions make it look a bit mind boggling but becomes really logical when you see it in real life.

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Can you find the operating manual that goes with the fridge(s) and see if they state a recommended working ambient temperature range?

I'm not so clued up on refrigeration technology, what's the system they use if not using a compressor?  If there's still a process of condensing the refrigerant that needs to happen, there may be issues with the temperature differential...ironically it might be necessary to have some sort of heat source near them?!  Take one of them indoors and run it for a day or so to see if it changes the fridge's behaviour.

If you can get the fridges to work on maximum setting out in the garage, a digital temperature controller might help to regulate temperature:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STC-1000-Electronic-Digital-Display-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Tools-UK/293496931446?hash=item4455c7c476:m:m7lTA96kTPo-Z7m6YOtB0Pw

Set the fridge controls to maximum (coldest) and let the controller do the rest.

I believe we had a conversation about something similar a while back, for your freezers, to convert them to fridges when needed - the offer still stands if you'd like me to translate the wiring diagram!  The instructions make it look a bit mind boggling but becomes really logical when you see it in real life.

Best of luck!

Thanks Jim, I will try a few things, they are all freebies , all working and discarded due to people's kitchen changes and door damage which has been repIred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's something to do with the type of gas that is used as a refrigerant some only work correctly in temperatures above 10 degrees. 

PS Not had any reports from you since early february so may be the fridges are not needed at the moment?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

I think it's something to do with the type of gas that is used as a refrigerant some only work correctly in temperatures above 10 degrees. 

PS Not had any reports from you since early february so may be the fridges are not needed at the moment?   

PC has explained elsewhere why he isn't reporting at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks Motty , I will have a bumper report in the future.

I hope so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought a deepfreeze to use out in the garage for game/fish etc about 2 years back, I found you needed to choose between an "indoor" model or "outdoor".

Think they use different refrigerants ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stockybasher said:

When I bought a deepfreeze to use out in the garage for game/fish etc about 2 years back, I found you needed to choose between an "indoor" model or "outdoor".

Think they use different refrigerants ??

Possibly. Indoor models probably won't work outside, under certain temperatures. My outdoor fridge-freezer will not work under 5 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2020 at 12:00, motty said:

Possibly. Indoor models probably won't work outside, under certain temperatures. My outdoor fridge-freezer will not work under 5 degrees.

Is it not the indoor ones that won't work under 5 (or whateve) degrees  ??  

Just out of interest Motty, are you able to get rid of pigeons currently.  The dealers on my side of the fens SE of Peterboro have stopped taking in any game as of about 3 weeks back.  So my outdoor freezer currently has 120  inside :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stockybasher said:

Is it not the indoor ones that won't work under 5 (or whateve) degrees  ??  

Just out of interest Motty, are you able to get rid of pigeons currently.  The dealers on my side of the fens SE of Peterboro have stopped taking in any game as of about 3 weeks back.  So my outdoor freezer currently has 120  inside 😞

Sorry, I meant my indoor fridge/freezer that is kept outdoors (in the shed).

I can't currently get rid of my pigeons, and my freezers are full - after a couple of recent 100+ bags. I am having to eat more pigeons than I ever have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran into this problem a few years ago, existing fridge freezer which was installed in outside washer drying room died after many years service.     Ordered a new unit from local supply, and they delivered and connected.   After the running in period I noticed that the freezer was not operational, checked the manual  and adjusted, but problem persisted. I contacted the supplier and they very kindly sent out a replacement unit , which was reinstalled, and after running in period the freezer still refused to operate.

I contacted the supplier again, and in all fairness responded to fault.. I received a telephone call from the technical department from the manufacturers who referred me to the instruction manual, which did state that the fridge freezer unit will only operate at  ambulant +10 deg C, as the exterior temperature was sitting at 4-6 Deg c  They very kindly agreed to remove the new fridge freezer.     I went on line armed with this new information, and found out just how many manufactures do state operating temperature's of plus 10 Dec C under very small print.

However I found a well known German manufacturer who did state operating temperatures  low as 0 Deg d .  I doubled checked the technical data an phoned the original supplier who agreed to arrange delivery of the chosen model, as they did not carry it in stock there was a small additional charge. I agreed and the unit was delivered and installed within 10 days , connected and installed , operated to full function summer and winter , and everybody happy.  It goes to show what can be gleaned from reading technical specification prior to purchase.

A lesson well learnt.  no1ghillie@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, no1ghillie said:

Ran into this problem a few years ago, existing fridge freezer which was installed in outside washer drying room died after many years service.     Ordered a new unit from local supply, and they delivered and connected.   After the running in period I noticed that the freezer was not operational, checked the manual  and adjusted, but problem persisted. I contacted the supplier and they very kindly sent out a replacement unit , which was reinstalled, and after running in period the freezer still refused to operate.

I contacted the supplier again, and in all fairness responded to fault.. I received a telephone call from the technical department from the manufacturers who referred me to the instruction manual, which did state that the fridge freezer unit will only operate at  ambulant +10 deg C, as the exterior temperature was sitting at 4-6 Deg c  They very kindly agreed to remove the new fridge freezer.     I went on line armed with this new information, and found out just how many manufactures do state operating temperature's of plus 10 Dec C under very small print.

However I found a well known German manufacturer who did state operating temperatures  low as 0 Deg d .  I doubled checked the technical data an phoned the original supplier who agreed to arrange delivery of the chosen model, as they did not carry it in stock there was a small additional charge. I agreed and the unit was delivered and installed within 10 days , connected and installed , operated to full function summer and winter , and everybody happy.  It goes to show what can be gleaned from reading technical specification prior to purchase.

A lesson well learnt.  no1ghillie@gmail.com

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...