What's for Dinner

loriusgarrulus

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had some weird Cornish pasty thing. They'd been languishing in the freezer. On tucking in, they were found to be this weird chilli concoction inside, which was a surprise neither of us could get beyond. I think they would have been fine if we'd expected them to be spicy. As it was? decidedly weird...

yvonne thats looks superb................im going to have that this week :good:

im sick to death of chile  and bolignase....mince and tats....et al...........................defo going to have some of that

Edited by ditchman

We haven't had corned beef for years, however since we are in survivalist times, we have had corned beef hash twice since lock down :lol: ... the Mrs complained that I should have mixed it up, then put it under the grill to crisp up on top ... I told her she can make it next time! 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

We haven't had corned beef for years, however since we are in survivalist times, we have had corned beef hash twice since lock down :lol: ... the Mrs complained that I should have mixed it up, then put it under the grill to crisp up on top ... I told her she can make it next time! 

Corned beef is nice mixed up with mash, made into rounds and coated in breadcrumbs, then fried. Bit like fish cakes, but with corned beef. Pepper sauce on top is a nice finish. If you haven't  spare bread for crumbs porridge oats ran through the coffee grinder or liquidiser to make a rough flour make a good coating.

25 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Corned beef is nice mixed up with mash, made into rounds and coated in breadcrumbs, then fried. Bit like fish cakes, but with corned beef. Pepper sauce on top is a nice finish. If you haven't  spare bread for crumbs porridge oats ran through the coffee grinder or liquidiser to make a rough flour make a good coating.

I do that and also mix in some mashed swede and chilli flakes or chopped onion. I also use a beaten egg to bind it  then it can be rough fried without crumb or with.

I love corned beef, before lockdown I always kept at least 4 tins in stock. Can't get it now unfortunately.

Corn beef cut into cubes can be laid on top of a good stew cooked slowly. Served as cubes in the stew or stired in before serving. I serve mine as cubes, then stir in for the Mrs.

Raw onion, or spring onion really brings out the taste.

Loads of things you do with corned beef, very versatile and underrated.

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Results of todays foraging outing. Buttered jacket potato, corned beef and salad. :)

What are you having. 

20200407_184442.jpg

Wow, you're posh, you peel the cucumber 😁

It's also nice if you grate some cheese, then mash the cheese, corned beef and inner tatties together, put back in the skin and serve.

Edited by Centrepin

4 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I do that and also mix in some mashed swede and chilli flakes or chopped onion. I also use a beaten egg to bind it  then it can be rough fried without crumb or with.

I love corned beef, before lockdown I always kept at least 4 tins in stock. Can't get it now, **** law.

Corn beef cut into cubes can be laid on top of a good stew cooked slowly. Served as cubes in the stew or stired in before serving. I serve mine as cubes, then stir in for the Mrs.

Raw onion, or spring onion really brings out the taste.

Loads of things you do with corned beef, very versatile and underrated.

Wow, you're posh, you peel the cucumber 😁

That's  OH. He doesn't  like cucumber peel. It gives him wind. 👍

My wife fancied lasagne for tomorrow's dinner, but no gf pasta sheets available for her and no normal lasagne sheets for me in the shops.

Thinking cap on -

We had plenty of gram (chickpea) flour, so I made  four thick chickpea pancakes (200g gram flour, dessert spoon of olive oil, 2 eggs and water to blend to a double cream consistency). Fried them in a small frying pan.

Made a meat sauce with what I found in the freezer. In this instance a small pack of frozen pork mince, which I defrosted.

So 1 small chopped onion, a stick of celery, and a rasher of chopped smokey bacon gently fried until the onion was  golden. Added the pork and cooked briefly, then a clove of chopped garlic, a diced red pepper, some olives and a good dollop of tomato puree

I invariably cook with wine, and occasionally add it to the recipe 😁, so a half bottle of red goes in together with a tin of chopped tomatoes, a couple of sliced mushrooms, a teaspoon of Mediterranean herbs and a good grind of black pepper.

When it had all reduced down to a good gloppy consistency, I fitted a round pancake into a square dish, keeping aside the offcuts, spread on the meat sauce, layered another pancake on top, and continued layering until I had used up the sauce, finishing with meat on top.

Ok, I should have made a bechamel sauce, but decided to artistically arrange the pancake offcuts on top and put the dish in the fridge overnight.

Tomorrow I will put a layer of grated cheese on top and stick it in a 200degree oven for as long as it takes to get hot and have a crispy browned cheese crust.

Store cupboard gf lasagne

I am on my third week of 101 ways to cook mince. Mince and mash, Mince with mash on top, chilli, spag bol, meat balls still technically mince, Burgers again still technically mince.

Watched a couple of episodes of The BBQ Pit Boys last night, huge mistake, when you have been on a diet of mince and potatoes for 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

I am on my third week of 101 ways to cook mince. Mince and mash, Mince with mash on top, chilli, spag bol, meat balls still technically mince, Burgers again still technically mince.

Watched a couple of episodes of The BBQ Pit Boys last night, huge mistake, when you have been on a diet of mince and potatoes for 3 weeks.

Jamie Oliver did a tasty looking meat loaf from mince on the telly. 

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Is that an East Anglian delicacy?

no it isnt......found it in an old cook book..........basically it is pork mince with a stuffing mix and fried onion and a few other bits shaped into like a elogated bread roll ...wrapped in non-smoked straky bacon and done in the oven............i will proberly serve it up with cauliflower and new minted pots wiv a bit of gravey from the roasting juice....

i always thought faggots were round balls of mince in a dark gravey......apparantly not !

On 09/04/2020 at 13:23, ditchman said:

im going to do faggots wrapped in streaky bacon this week ..............

NOW your talkin'.  Not easy to find good proper faggots these days round here.

Muntie sandwich with mango chutney, some home made leek soup to wash it down. 

Talking leeks. I was weeding the veg garden and a few stray seedling leeks needed removing. They where about as thick as your little finger...Hmmmmm ??????? .... thinks.   I needed to make some stuffing for the muntie haunch which I was going to butterfly.  Chopped these small leeks into 1/4 inch pieces then put them in the blender with the bread and seasoning and a splash of Worcester sauce.  Three or four sharp cycles until the bread was crumbs a half cup of water and it was ready.  Spread on the butterflied haunch then rolled and tied.  It was awesome. Thinking about it those small leaks are not unlike small onions etc., they certainly work.