What's for Dinner

loriusgarrulus

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

no it isnt......found it in an old cook book..........basically it is pork mince with a stuffing mix and fried onion and a few other bits shaped into like a elogated bread roll ...wrapped in non-smoked straky bacon and done in the oven............i will proberly serve it up with cauliflower and new minted pots wiv a bit of gravey from the roasting juice....

i always thought faggots were round balls of mince in a dark gravey......apparantly not !

Our butcher has started to do a similar thing with Venison (mince and herbs wrapped in streaky bacon) and very good it is too.

Very popular too.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

no it isnt......found it in an old cook book..........basically it is pork mince with a stuffing mix and fried onion and a few other bits shaped into like a elogated bread roll ...wrapped in non-smoked straky bacon and done in the oven............i will proberly serve it up with cauliflower and new minted pots wiv a bit of gravey from the roasting juice....

i always thought faggots were round balls of mince in a dark gravey......apparantly not !

Sounds great anyway and I don't think the shape matters , it is the mix and you have that about right.  I think the doom mongers stopped the butchers putting the veiling on faggots years ago but smoky bacon is a better choice me thinks.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Sounds great anyway and I don't think the shape matters , it is the mix and you have that about right.  I think the doom mongers stopped the butchers putting the veiling on faggots years ago but smoky bacon is a better choice me thinks.

:lol:...yeah it was like balls of mince in yer grannies fishnets 

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

...yeah it was like balls of mince in yer grannies fishnets 

Brilliant description and she used to make them from our own orchard fed bacon pigs which produced flitches of bacon almost five foot long. Serious pigs in those days.

Grandfather used to cure them himself and I can see him now with a razor sharp knife cutting rashers 1/4 inch thick and taking them down to the kitchen to be fried in a huge skillet.

I have no idea what was dumped in the middle of my plate last night. Defiantly was not mince which is unusual. Even the dog turned his nose up and he will eat anything.

I wonder what delicacies are in store tonight.

I tell you what though , I could murder a doner kebab, even have salad on it.

Edited by fatchap

8 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have no idea what was dumped in the middle of my plate last night. Defiantly was not mince which is unusual. Even the dog turned his nose up and he will eat anything.

I wonder what delicacies are in store tonight.

I tell you what though , I could murder a doner kebab, even have salad on it.

Spat my tea🤣

Ribeye steak, home made chips, mushrooms, onions, and runny egg....

To late for photo

5 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Roast chicken and potatoes, broccoli, carrots and stuffing with gravy and cranberry sauce.

20200412_165034.jpg

I love stuffing, but it dunna like me....

A proper looking dinner is that !

Pheasant & partridge soup followed by pinkfoot breasts & veg slow cooked in guinness served with garlic & paprika roast spuds & rosemary carrot & turnip mash,topped that lot off with way too much of the gf's own recipe creme egg cheescake,that was 3 hours ago & i'm still suffering,eyes bigger than the belly!

On 11/04/2020 at 13:14, Walker570 said:

NOW your talkin'.  Not easy to find good proper faggots these days round here.

Muntie sandwich with mango chutney, some home made leek soup to wash it down. 

Talking leeks. I was weeding the veg garden and a few stray seedling leeks needed removing. They where about as thick as your little finger...Hmmmmm ??????? .... thinks.   I needed to make some stuffing for the muntie haunch which I was going to butterfly.  Chopped these small leeks into 1/4 inch pieces then put them in the blender with the bread and seasoning and a splash of Worcester sauce.  Three or four sharp cycles until the bread was crumbs a half cup of water and it was ready.  Spread on the butterflied haunch then rolled and tied.  It was awesome. Thinking about it those small leaks are not unlike small onions etc., they certainly work.

I’m talking leeks too but a big one with plenty of cheese.
last nights dinner with salad potatoes and asparagus!! 

82F65F8C-1E7B-4A7D-B1DC-1D0AE911E1AC.jpeg

Edited by Lampwick

13 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Used the leftover chicken from yesterday in brioche buns with lettuce and mayonaise.

The chicken carcass went into a pan with dried mixed vegetables this afternoon for a simmer to make soup for tomorrow. Just picked the meat off the bones now it's cool and put the pan in the fridge overnight.

😭

tomorrow will be the jelly thats left in the can and bread and butter

40 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Make another batch without any chillies and blend together.

Well that would work but I don't want to be eating curry for the next week. Not that much room in the freezer atm.

Looked for ideas and apparently adding sugar can reduce the heat so some has been added and it's bubbling away as I write. I will report back later.

17 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Well that would work but I don't want to be eating curry for the next week. Not that much room in the freezer atm.

Looked for ideas and apparently adding sugar can reduce the heat so some has been added and it's bubbling away as I write. I will report back later.

It will be interesting to see if it works.  It's not an option I could use as OH is diabetic.