Two for one.

NoBodyImportant

8 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

😂 two weeks of being out of work is tough on you mentally. Turkey is about to open up though. 

Nice warm up right there then!

What cartridges do you on the gobblers? I watch a few American channels on YouTube and TSS seems to be a be thing over there. I was well impressed with what it will do pattern wise out of a .410

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Nice warm up right there then!

What cartridges do you on the gobblers? I watch a few American channels on YouTube and TSS seems to be a be thing over there. I was well impressed with what it will do pattern wise out of a .410

I use 12g #6.  Yes Turkey hunting is as big as deer over here. They are very smart though.  You have to call them in.  We have festivals called turkey shoots.  Guys bring these crazy tuned shot guns and they hang a circle target.  Then they count the pellets that hit the circle.  This festival comes from turkey hunting because the object it to put as many pellets on the head to kill the bird without putting pellets in the meat. It’s fun to see the custom guns and the things people do to tighten the group.  Everything from stick on weights on the barrel to running lube between shots. 

8 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Be interesting to hear about the turkey hunting and the rules regulations and equipment 👍😊

good shot by the way 😊

It’s different from state to state but right now where I’m at children under 18 can take male with shotgun or primitive.  (Children can hunt one week before open season). Tomorrow the season opens.  Turkeys are kinda hard.  They are smarter then most things. You have to call them in with promise of sweet loving or the sound of another male getting sweet loving on his territory. Basically you get a shotgun that holds no more then 3 shells.  Then a blind.  Then you call them in.  Some people use decoys but I do not.  A turkey choke is tighter the most as to destroy the head and save the meat. But many times a coyote will come to the turkey call also so you have to decide if you want to shoot the coyotes a scare the turkey away. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

25 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It’s different from state to state but right now where I’m at children under 18 can take male with shotgun or primitive.  (Children can hunt one week before open season). Tomorrow the season opens.  Turkeys are kinda hard.  They are smarter then most things. You have to call them in with promise of sweet loving or the sound of another male getting sweet loving on his territory. Basically you get a shotgun that holds no more then 3 shells.  Then a blind.  Then you call them in.  Some people use decoys but I do not.  A turkey choke is tighter the most as to destroy the head and save the meat. But many times a coyote will come to the turkey call also so you have to decide if you want to shoot the coyotes a scare the turkey away. 

Thank you for the information 👍

what range do you shoot them at ?

28 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I use 12g #6.  Yes Turkey hunting is as big as deer over here. They are very smart though.  You have to call them in.  We have festivals called turkey shoots.  Guys bring these crazy tuned shot guns and they hang a circle target.  Then they count the pellets that hit the circle.  This festival comes from turkey hunting because the object it to put as many pellets on the head to kill the bird without putting pellets in the meat. It’s fun to see the custom guns and the things people do to tighten the group.  Everything from stick on weights on the barrel to running lube between shots. 

How many Oz's? And lead?

That sounds like a good day out, I like hearing about your hunting culture first hand, I think overseas, especially here all most of us see is your gun culture and the rest of it is lost.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Thank you for the information 👍

what range do you shoot them at ?

Well hunters take pride in how tight your gun can hold a shot group.  So if you have a fine tuned shot gun that can hold a small group then you can get them at a 35-40 yards. If you have your grandfathers stevens with a full choke you better get them in close.  The ultimate goal is a quick clean kill with no pellets in the breast.  

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

How many Oz's? And lead?

That sounds like a good day out, I like hearing about your hunting culture first hand, I think overseas, especially here all most of us see is your gun culture and the rest of it is lost.

I like 3 in 1 3/4oz.  But I kinda grab what’s on sale.   I don’t get into it like others do where my gun is tuned to a specific load.  Some people like small payload at fast speeds and some swear by heavy load and slower speeds. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

42 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Well hunters take pride in how tight your gun can hold a shot group.  So if you have a fine tuned shot gun that can hold a small group then you can get them at a 35-40 yards. If you have your grandfathers stevens with a full choke you better get them in close.  The ultimate goal is a quick clean kill with no pellets in the breast.  

I like 3 in 1 3/4oz.  But I kinda grab what’s on sale.   I don’t get into it like others do where my gun is tuned to a specific load.  Some people like small payload at fast speeds and some swear by heavy load and slower speeds. 

I guess it's no different in that sense to pigeon or pheasant over get, don't get to hung up on choke or load lol, can't beat good field craft.

Hope you don't mind sharing when you've bagged your first bird 👍

Edited by Farmboy91

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I guess it's no different in that sense to pigeon or pheasant over get, don't get to hung up on choke or load lol, can't beat good field craft.

Hope you don't mind sharing when you've bagged your first bird 👍

Will do,  for the first few trips my 8 year old will be behind the gun.  He hasn’t grasped the concept of sit quietly yet so we will see how it goes.   😂 

7 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Will do,  for the first few trips my 8 year old will be behind the gun.  He hasn’t grasped the concept of sit quietly yet so we will see how it goes.   😂 

Look forward to it 👍

Haha I can remember the first time I took my boy out for a wander, he had he's ear defends on so obviously couldn't hear how loud he own voice was. Anyway, were walking across this field with a spinning bird scarer with all this difference colours on and I hear ' dad, that things got primary colours on it' at the top of he's voice 😂 Bless him. 

I'm sure your lad will do fine 👍