chain saw sharpening

terence

dont use a gizo please.............learn to use just a file (and the proper size files round and flat for the rakers)..........once you have learned how to use a file properly you will get a far better edge than using a gizmo........

one tip.................................

a file dosnt last forever...use it a few times and chuck it......

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont use a gizo please.............learn to use just a file (and the proper size files round and flat for the rakers)..........once you have learned how to use a file properly you will get a far better edge than using a gizmo........

Excatly. I believe those things are junk. I got taught by a arby, and by eye and a decent file will get it razor sharp. I believe your on about those things that connect onto the end of the bar and you push down? Oregon made? Can't quite remember. Anyway avoid. 

If your using semi chisel that tool that Johnphillip suggests is good, a few i know use them. I only use full chisel (apart from the top handle) and wouldn't bother with any gismo. 

Btw that rocwood bar is free if anybody wants it. Its 12'' and off a echo I gave away. Brand new, think it fits titan pole pruners, not stihl

Also what saw are you using? I have a few chains I was given, I can have a look if you need one. Most are for huskys and I'm a stihl fanboy

Edited by strimmer_13

Dont buy one of those electric ones out of lidl or aldi , they are good but they take to much of the tooth , and your chain wont last along.  They are ok if your filing angle has been out and the teeth are all wrong . You can take them back to the right angle with it . But just as a one of now and again . Then some people say dont use one because of the heat they generate  can effect the tooth,  the temper of it . 

55 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Dont buy one of those electric ones out of lidl or aldi , they are good but they take to much of the tooth , and your chain wont last along.  They are ok if your filing angle has been out and the teeth are all wrong . You can take them back to the right angle with it . But just as a one of now and again . Then some people say dont use one because of the heat they generate  can effect the tooth,  the temper of it . 

if you look carefully on a hardwood/chipper chain there is on every tooth a line which is a guide line for the correct angle.........

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you look carefully on a hardwood/chipper chain there is on every tooth a line which is a guide line for the correct angle.........

I am aware of this Simon , the device I showed makes it easer to sharpen   the angle and the guide at the same time . Saving time. doing it by hand it's hard to keep that angle right .

Each to there own , that's why there is so many gizmos out there .I have used a few .

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

I use a file now but ive got arthrites in my hands and its painfull to do luckley dont use chainsaw all the time 

I use hand file all the time. Do it regular it only takes a couple passes. 

Now im milling quite a lot though I have thought about an electric grinder, but by the time you set it up right I’ve probably done a chain already. If you have lots of chains and just swap out, then have lots to sharpen at the weekend I bet a grinder would be good, but I just swap between two chains and sharpen when needed...

as for the powersharp, I think it’s a very expensive way to be lazy...

On 09/04/2020 at 00:31, southeastpete said:

I use hand file all the time. Do it regular it only takes a couple passes. 

Now im milling quite a lot though I have thought about an electric grinder, but by the time you set it up right I’ve probably done a chain already. If you have lots of chains and just swap out, then have lots to sharpen at the weekend I bet a grinder would be good, but I just swap between two chains and sharpen when needed...

as for the powersharp, I think it’s a very expensive way to be lazy...

i love the feel of a new file cutting the teeth by hand....as you say a couple of passes....and a flick upwards to take the burr off......:good: