20 bore tss loads

grahamch

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

A while ago a member (6.55e) posted some food info on loading tss for 20 bores, which l now can't find despite searching. 

Can some one please point me in the right direction. TIA

Hi mate hope all is good.

2-3/4" case - cx2000 primer - 35 grain Lil-Gun powder - B&P 24 wad ( 3/4 28ga 4mm cork inside ) 1oz 18g/cc TSS crimp closer or change powder charge to 23 grains of Alliant Steel Powder

5 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

2-3/4" case - cx2000 primer - 35 grain Lil-Gun powder - B&P 24 wad ( 3/4 28ga 4mm cork inside ) 1oz 18g/cc TSS crimp closer or change powder charge to 23 grains of Alliant Steel Powder

I may load a few similar shells. Do you use mylar?

10 minutes ago, motty said:

I may load a few similar shells. Do you use mylar?

I did try some but to be totally honest found it to be a pain in the rear end so just load them without but always open to suggestions from experienced loaders/shooters. They certainly kill Geese very well 

2 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I did try some but to be totally honest found it to be a pain in the rear end so just load them without but always open to suggestions from experienced loaders/shooters. They certainly kill Geese very well 

Just heard from some people that the tiny pellets (7s or 9s) were escaping through wad petals and scoring barrels. I haven't had this happen to me, yet.

No doubt they will kill well. I fancy trying some in my moderated 20, on pinks. I have shot a few pigeons with 24gm 5 steel through it.

10 hours ago, motty said:

Just heard from some people that the tiny pellets (7s or 9s) were escaping through wad petals and scoring barrels. I haven't had this happen to me, yet.

No doubt they will kill well. I fancy trying some in my moderated 20, on pinks. I have shot a few pigeons with 24gm 5 steel through it.

As you know i like small shot sizes and after shooting hundreds upon hundreds ( steel ) through various non proofed along with steel proofed 20ga have not noticed any barrel scoring yet. TSS admitted not hundreds but again not noticed any barrel scoring. Not that a experienced Wildfowler like yourself needs advice but " just shoot the gun at Pink's not the Gauge " your definitely shoot plenty of Pink's with your 20ga this season ( providing we are free to go ) roll on mid to late September

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 17:43, 6.5x55SE said:

Shot a few of the lil guns loaded one on Boyd's advice and despite never getting under the geese on the foreshore last season, I bagged some screamers on widgeon. Best shot was on a windy day, with driving rain: had a 30+ bunch coming over my head at a distance I wouldn't normally shot them (even with lead) but after ours of being battered I thought I'd have a go anyway. Picked the last one as it seemed lower than the rest and fired through my 26" IC and thought I had it, but it seemed to be still going... Then I turned around to see it floating in the wind before hitting the mud stone dead. Some lads sitting on a stone hide in the middle of the marsh came running at me thinking I had used lead shot and were astounded to learn I shot it with TSS... 

I also use a 3" duplex steel-tss which is a good all-rounder, fiocchi 20/76, 616, 35gr Lil gun, b&p 28, spacers+65gr TSS 9+372gr steel 2, fold crimp.

Got a few more loads from Al in USA but since opportunities are scarce...I'm settling for these two loads as well

• 1 year later...
On 26/04/2020 at 12:42, Continental Shooter said:

Shot a few of the lil guns loaded one on Boyd's advice and despite never getting under the geese on the foreshore last season, I bagged some screamers on widgeon. Best shot was on a windy day, with driving rain: had a 30+ bunch coming over my head at a distance I wouldn't normally shot them (even with lead) but after ours of being battered I thought I'd have a go anyway. Picked the last one as it seemed lower than the rest and fired through my 26" IC and thought I had it, but it seemed to be still going... Then I turned around to see it floating in the wind before hitting the mud stone dead. Some lads sitting on a stone hide in the middle of the marsh came running at me thinking I had used lead shot and were astounded to learn I shot it with TSS... 

I also use a 3" duplex steel-tss which is a good all-rounder, fiocchi 20/76, 616, 35gr Lil gun, b&p 28, spacers+65gr TSS 9+372gr steel 2, fold crimp.

Got a few more loads from Al in USA but since opportunities are scarce...I'm settling for these two loads as well

I have literally just bought a nice mossberg pump 20 but i am struggling to find tss recipes so i can do a bloody order from c&g .Anyone got other loads or know where i can get a few from for steel and tss for geese ????

newtoy.jpg

55 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Out of interest what would it cost to set up to load tss 20 bore shells? 

I believe the cheapest option would be. Set of scales Lee loadall loader and a Gaep n3 crimp finisher Lil-gun powder b&p 24 wad's 70mm cases. I also bought some cork sealed tiles cheap online and a set of wad punches again cheap online. With that set up you would be able to get factory quality cartridges that will kill Geese at range 👍

34 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Sorry Dave can't help as i bought mine direct from China. 8's also work very very well on flighting foreshore Geese 🤫

Thanks, got a quote for 10kg through Alibaba, but was more expensive than U.K. suppliers seemed cheaper but then they can’t get it.. what diameter are the 8s in mm?

5 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Thanks, got a quote for 10kg through Alibaba, but was more expensive than U.K. suppliers seemed cheaper but then they can’t get it.. what diameter are the 8s in mm?

2.25 mm that's what the company i bought from stated. 

I'm more than willing to PM you my contact BUT I've not ordered any during Brexit and COVID infact the contact sent a message Christmas Eve 

12 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

2.25 mm that's what the company i bought from stated. 

I'm more than willing to PM you my contact BUT I've not ordered any during Brexit and COVID infact the contact sent a message Christmas Eve 

Thanks Claygame are showing that size in stock so will have a chat with them but your contact might be useful.

• 2 weeks later...