Jack Russell training

I've had another email request from my mum to see if anyone could recommend any training manual or book on JR's. Apparently today he completely lost it with a rat he found in the chicken area. This is the email text:

'Henry found a dying rat on the inside of the hen run and went absolutely ballistic. I tried to get hold of him and he virtually turned on me. If I had kept hold of him he would have gone for me. It was a bit upsetting but I think it is inbred behaviour associated with rats. I dont think he would be like that with e.g. the [grand]kids.All a bit worrying....He was totally mindless and hysterical'

I think they'd like him to be good at rat killing, but obviously want to retain control and stop him being so frenzied. Lockdown's come at a bad time as they were looking at getting him into classes, but any ideas on books specifically about JR's (not withstanding the Patterdale that got into the wash with his JR jeans!) would be much appreciated. 

I've kept terriers for too long to remember and could grab one if they had a rat, fox or what ever and wouldn't ever worry about the dog even growling. 

That dog needs to be shown who is the boss and quickly. Muzzle it and let it try it with a rat again, when it trys to turn shake it off its feet. Personally I wouldn't keep a dog I couldn't trust to pick up and stop in the heat of a moment. It would be going on a one way trip to the vets 

On 09/04/2020 at 06:18, washerboy said:

I've kept terriers for too long to remember and could grab one if they had a rat, fox or what ever and wouldn't ever worry about the dog even growling. 

That dog needs to be shown who is the boss and quickly. Muzzle it and let it try it with a rat again, when it trys to turn shake it off its feet. Personally I wouldn't keep a dog I couldn't trust to pick up and stop in the heat of a moment. It would be going on a one way trip to the vets 

I lean more to this side of thinking I am afraid, even when ratting you should be able to be near tyhe dog, or pick it up. It's part of working as a team. Was the dog possessive and thinking she was trying to take the rat off it? 

If so sounds like resourse guarding ... My dog when much younger offered a growl when we went near his food one time, I gave him a whack at the time, but reading up on it it says far better to teach him that you are no threat as he thought. Instead I set about hand feeding the dog, each time he had food me being near him or the food meant he got more, or better treats. We can go near his food all day long now, he know's its no bother. 

Not sure how you would replicate that, unless your mums got a sack full of rats :P 

On 09/04/2020 at 06:18, washerboy said:

Yep. looks fail fail fail from day one.  I go back to another thread on training.  OBEDIENCE OBEDIENCE OBEDIENCE.    Don't waste money on books.  The dog needs to be taught it's manners.

On 08/04/2020 at 23:35, bruno22rf said:

It's a Jack Russell - you'll never get him to read a training guide or stop attacking the biggest Dog at obedience classes - be quicker to train your mum to keep out of his way when he chances upon the opportunity for a scrap.

Agreed. It is a Jack Russell terrier after all.

34 minutes ago, JDog said:

Agreed. It is a Jack Russell terrier after all.

If you are Bruno are right she'd be better off getting rid.

What a horrible dog to own, one you have to avoid when it gets too big for it's boots.

I can't imagine any proper terrier men would be running scared of their own dogs. 

Quick update. Similar thing happened yesterday. Henry found a dying rat in the chicken pen, was on it in a second and shaking it good and properly. My dad came in and gave one good command and went to pull Henry out. Dog dropped the rat without a fuss and was quite happy to be removed. not even a hint of aggression to owner. 

The rats are on their last legs from rat poison boxes that the neighbours are putting down for rats living in their garden, but they're dying in my parents' garden above ground. 

Edited by chrisjpainter

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quick update. Similar thing happened yesterday. Henry found a dying rat in the chicken pen, was on it in a second and shaking it good and properly. My dad came in and gave one good command and went to pull Henry out. Dog dropped the rat without a fuss and was quite happy to be removed. not even a hint of aggression to owner. 

The rats are on their last legs from rat poison boxes that the neighbours are putting down for rats living in their garden, but they're dying in my parents' garden above ground. 

Tell your mum to do some hand feeding with the dog? Perhaps it see's her as a threat to things its possesive over. 

Mr Nan had a small Yorkshire Terrier called Gizmo that was super possesive of her, no one could go near her in the end as it got worse and worse and would bite anyone that sat next to her. Had to have it put down. 

Is the dog very friendly with your dad but not your mum? 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Tell your mum to do some hand feeding with the dog? Perhaps it see's her as a threat to things its possesive over. 

Mr Nan had a small Yorkshire Terrier called Gizmo that was super possesive of her, no one could go near her in the end as it got worse and worse and would bite anyone that sat next to her. Had to have it put down. 

Is the dog very friendly with your dad but not your mum? 

friendly with everyone, especially mum...

I suspect it was more an off-day for mum than anything specifically behavioural from the dog. So she fired off an email to me asking for Pigeonwatch's advice! She's stressed out enough at the moment with being an essential NHS worker - with acute asthma - so that may have contributed to it. She retires in a month and can't wait for the day! Until she persuades herself to go back as a voluntary worker...

My guess is she overreacted and read far more into it than she would otherwise have done.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

friendly with everyone, especially mum...

I suspect it was more an off-day for mum than anything specifically behavioural from the dog. So she fired off an email to me asking for Pigeonwatch's advice! She's stressed out enough at the moment with being an essential NHS worker - with acute asthma - so that may have contributed to it. She retires in a month and can't wait for the day! Until she persuades herself to go back as a voluntary worker...

Tell her she can have 12 weeks off paid ... my hospital has told everyone with pre-existing conditions that they don't have to come in. In-fact I think they're not allowed to! 

Sounds like the dog will come good hopefully :)