Invasive bambo triffid nightmare

7daysinaweek

Right.

A good 15 years ago i got a small bamboo from b&q it said clump forming on the tin, fast forward until last month and it had grown savage, spreading at will and was around 8 feet high. It had engulfed one of my buddliea. I decided enough was enough and onto the interweb and read to cut it back to about 10 inches  then let sprout again and spray it to give it the old heave ho.

I attacked it with the chainsaw and I have  now noticed some green shoots coming through, I did try digging out with a fork however it would not even shift a small clump.

I have some Rosate 36 which I think is strong round up and am waiting for it to grow so I can blast it with it.

The question is for the Pw plant horticultural types (Ahem, a certain canine may know) was this a good idea and will the spray kill it off or am I doomed to have a revival of a Tenko village dramatization setting.

atb

7diaw

20200408_184959_opt.jpg

20200408_185007_opt.jpg

20200408_185032_opt.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did similar to some bamboo. Also spray it as it is in your picture to make sure. It kills it off . Getting it out can be hard. A larger more accessible patch was dug out with a digger. The hand tools couldn't touch the sides. Wont have it in the garden again unless in a pot. 

Our neighbours have loads and it keeps spreading out side of the fence and across the lawn bloody stuff.  I’ve tried cutting and filling the stems with neat roundup and it knocks it a bit but not much.  Some is now 14ft tall or so and over shadowing my veg patch so not that impressed with it.. 

in your case at least you can deal with it at source

I know this is a bit risky     Years ago we had an Ants nest in the lawn  at the time i had just recovered an old mower

half a cup of stale petrol  into nest hole       in less than an hour a circle of brown grass  a foot across

after that saved the rest and applied to stuborn weeds with a brush  worked every time

Please be careful

My wife planted some that she was given from a "friend". She eventually let me get at it when the neighbor mentioned he had some shoots coming up in his garden - I ended up removing a massive ball of roots that must have been two foot in diameter. She found somewhere that told he to spray with vinegar into the ground where it had been. Didn't get any re-occurrence of it growing again

2 hours ago, figgy said:

I've used petrol on a wasps nest, but I set it alight after a minute or two of letting it soak in.

Bit more than a cup full 🤫

Yup works a treat.  

Only a good brush killer spray will have any effect. Glypho will only shrivel the leaves. It WILL take repeated treatment.

Thank you all for taking the time to post.

Some interesting options, I think I will pass on any flammables as I can be clumsy with stuff like that and don't think the local fire brigade will be happy getting called out in the present climate. 😁

I think it will be the 3 weetabix job and if anything comes back I will spray the blighter. I am off for a few days next week so may have a bash at it, I will keep you posted.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

This morning I decided to have a go at tackling the said Triffid. What a bloomin nightmare, I have barely scratched the surface trying to get it out. The fork can get under the edges but I fear that applying any further pressure will damage the shaft.  I tried with the spade and when I attack it, it bounces off it and sends vibrations right up me arms. I was used to this when I was a youngen digging stop ended rabbits out when ferreting under hedges. Not any more, think I going to ache tomorrow.

My mistake today was only eating two weetabix and not three as suggested by JDog. Will have anther bash at it tomorrow.

Ditchman just posted in another thread that the wives beat us up if we lay about idol. He is not wrong, look what Mrs 7days has done to me as I was not digging quickly enough. 🤣

atb 7diaw

20200415_160833_opt.jpg

20200415_153742_opt (2).jpg

20200415_153817_opt.jpg

20200415_153831_opt (1).jpg