Invasive bambo triffid nightmare

7daysinaweek

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Forget your spade mate get a mattock,  if it wasn't for this lockdown I would come and show you how a big lad swings one!! In exchange for venison 😉

"Ooh err missus" excluding the current climate I would take you up on that.

At the present speed of my feeble efforts I can foresee the triffid being  around for quite a time.  And do not worry, I have put some aside for you.

• 2 weeks later...

ROUND TWO!

After recovering for a couple of weeks I plucked up the courage to have another go at ridding the garden of the marauding triffid. The tendrils or whatever they are  rampant and very invasive, it has split the concrete bottom gravel board of the fence. I am starting to make inroads into it slowly but surely by using the fork and getting right under it then chopping through it as little as possible with the spade. I cannot believe how difficult it is to get out, it really is a sod. Hopefully I will get the rest up next crack at it. 

20200423_130638_opt.jpg

20200423_130734_opt.jpg

20200423_130712_opt.jpg

20200423_130646_opt.jpg

5 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

My neighbour has bamboo on her side of our fence. Occasionally we get shoots coming up and growing on our side. I spray them with Glyphosate and it sorts them out.

Good to hear, once I have dug it out I will await any emerging leaf matter and blast it with the Rosate 36 I have, think is near neat roundup, it certainly sends anything it comes into contact with quickly to the grave.

atb

7diaw

9 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Good to hear, once I have dug it out I will await any emerging leaf matter and blast it with the Rosate 36 I have, think is near neat roundup, it certainly sends anything it comes into contact with quickly to the grave.

atb

7diaw

Rosate is generic, cheap glyphosate. Roundup is just a brand name for the same chemical, the 36 stands for 360g/l of active, which is a standard concentration. You can get stronger, but 360 mixed at 20ml/l of water will kill most things.

The correct name for the 'tendrils' that you refer to is leptomorph rhizomes.

Oddly amongst plants that produce rhizomes bamboo produces similar growth underground to that which shows on top.

Keep at it. If you report regularly (but not necessarily frequently), this thread could last all year.

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Rosate is generic, cheap glyphosate. Roundup is just a brand name for the same chemical, the 36 stands for 360g/l of active, which is a standard concentration. You can get stronger, but 360 mixed at 20ml/l of water will kill most things.

Thank you for the information Kennet. I have a 5L container so plenty of it for treating any emerging leaf matter which I expect will be the case.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

The correct name for the 'tendrils' that you refer to is leptomorph rhizomes.

Oddly amongst plants that produce rhizomes bamboo produces similar growth underground to that which shows on top.

Keep at it. If you report regularly (but not necessarily frequently), this thread could last all year.

That is very interesting JD, what a virulent grower bamboo is. Bamboo appears to be the the most useful plant on earth from its application of uses, it can be eaten, used for building , furniture and musical instrument making and of course for the asthetics of the plant.

I can also see the process being a long one, my arms are aching this morning.

With hindsight never again, due diligence and the Caveat Emptor certainly comes to mind.

atb

7diaw

• 1 month later...

ROUND 3!

The Triffid has been mocking me for the last several weeks, seemingly growing at an alarming rate again despite initially chopping it down to about 8 inches, in the pictures it can be seen that it has put on some sparse shoots of growth from about 10 inches, one shoot being just under a metre in a month. I took J dogs advice and had been digging and chopping it out and appeared I was making some headway despite lots of huffing and puffing.

Today I was sorely mistaken, the block which is left over is impervious to my heavy spade, attempting at chopping through from the top is hellish! It is so dense that it is like chopping through a stump so I have sharpened a light spade and have been digging underneath then chopping through from above which is still hard going but is working very slowly, I gave up after an hour of sending ringing, electric shocks up me arms from the relentless chopping. The roots go down a good 10 inches and at the going rate I may be through to next doors in a few months. 😣

As our big palm tree is in full bloom I thought I would post up some pictures, it is well over 30 years old and when we moved in 20 years ago it had been in for over 10 years. It sprouts these wonderful fragrant blooms which look like big green tongues before they flower and attract a myriad of flies, bees and wasps, It has usually lost flower by the time the butterflies arrive onto the adjacent Budlleia. In 2009 we had a particularly hard winter and a real heavy snowfall followed with a several week period of extreme low frosts and it was so badly savaged by this that I thought it had died. At the time  it had a couple of less trunks but was the same height and after the harsh period all of the trunks from mid height upwards were rotted off. I was going to dig it out however, thankfully Mrs 7days asked for me to leave and see if it would 'do anything', which I did. I got the chainsaw out and cut all the trunks down to about 3 feet. To my surprise it started to shoot up from the bottom and this is how it has come on in those 10-11 years, I never water it and just let it get on with it.

atb

7diaw

20200605_161518_opt.jpg

20200605_155553_opt.jpg

20200602_130341_opt.jpg

20200602_130443_opt.jpg

20200602_130159_opt.jpg

Get a chainsaw or good hedge cutter. Take it down to the soil. Use a mower (I did) and make sure. When done give it a good spray of Gallup or whatever.  Repeat the spraying in about 14 days. Perhaps again after another 14 days.  It will rot away to nothing. 

I removed a 10'x10' square bit with a digger, the digger was rocking and rolling so my spade would have had no chance. The smaller patches were removed by the former method. If you get it flat enough you can stick a pot on it till it disappears. 

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I removed a 10'x10' square bit with a digger, the digger was rocking and rolling so my spade would have had no chance. The smaller patches were removed by the former method. If you get it flat enough you can stick a pot on it till it disappears. 

Cannot get a digger in my back garden GC so it all down to brute force. @Mice!  again has kindly offered to come over and deal with the offending triffid with his 'big mattock', I have pleasantly declined his offer as I am a glutton for punishment and wish to battle it myself. Once it is up I am going to leave the area for 12 months and blast it anytime it sprouts with the heavy duty Rosate 36 that I have , that appears to flatten anything. ☠️

It's do or die!

I bit the bullet with our neighbours one that has been invading and cleared the fence line it was coming through and dig over the soil. An entire recycling bin of rhizomes later and it’s still popping up in the lawn 10 feet away from the fence. Can only hope this will reduce over time but we shall see.  Good luck and keep spraying it! 

10 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Cannot get a digger in my back garden GC so it all down to brute force. @Mice!  again has kindly offered to come over and deal with the offending triffid with his 'big mattock', I have pleasantly declined his offer as I am a glutton for punishment and wish to battle it myself. Once it is up I am going to leave the area for 12 months and blast it anytime it sprouts with the heavy duty Rosate 36 that I have , that appears to flatten anything. ☠️

It's do or die!

Your just worried I'll make you look bad in front of Mrs 7daysinaweek 😅😅 its probably good for you though to have something to beat the garbage out of though after your working week, good for the body and mind👍